Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I can only speak from a consumer standpoint and not a gamer standpoint. It would kind of be similar to buying a luxury car and them offering an optional HD stereo system. You are already paying for the luxury car so you might as well get any available options that come with it.

i make movies

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Get the 680 for sure. It has 1500 cuda cores, which is key for any pro application that uses it (resolve, after effects, etc.)

Save up some extra money and upgrade to the 680 and upgrade the processor. you can always add ram and hard drives later.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Get the 680 for sure. It has 1500 cuda cores, which is key for any pro application that uses it (resolve, after effects, etc.)

Save up some extra money and upgrade to the 680 and upgrade the processor. you can always add ram and hard drives later.

OK, thanks everyone for all the input.
Looks like the 680 it is.

The main thing I'm concerned about is how much more heat and energy consumption will be created with the heavy duty gpu (especially as the new iMac is much smaller in the back).

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
OK, thanks everyone for all the input.
Looks like the 680 it is.

The main thing I'm concerned about is how much more heat and energy consumption will be created with the heavy duty gpu (especially as the new iMac is much smaller in the back).

Get Applecare then it is Apple's problem not yours.

:)

DDaddyx2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
I went with the 675MX and put that money towards the Fusion drive. But I won't be playing max-res 3D games or using Adobe Creative Suite products. It's just my home computer (iLife, web browsing, simple stuff like that).

I purchased another one for a co-worker who will be using Creative Suite, and for that we did upgrade to the 680MX.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Good thread. I went with the 675MX without thinking about it much, then I see just about everyone got the 680 so i started researching. Based on what I've seen, there is really no reason for me to get the 680 so I'll stick with my order for the 675.

DDaddyx2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
I've begun to worry that I should have gotten the 680MX. This is my first iMac and the inability to upgrade down the road worries me. But I don't play any 3-D games on the computer. The only games I see myself playing are Blizzard ones like StarCraft and Diablo (and even that's questionable given my current age and interests). My concern has to do with the 2560x1440 resolution and whether the 675MX will have problems running day-to-day tasks. I did get the i7, 16gb RAM and the Fusion drive. Those seemed more important than the video card (as least from my experience with PCs).

If gaming is not something I plan to use this Mac for, then I should be okay with the 675MX, right? Looking for some reassurance here. :)

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I currently have a mid 2010 27" iMac (moving to my wife's office) which has ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory. It handles the pixels just fine for day to day tasks. The 675MX has to be leagues better than that for 2 years of advances, so I wouldn't worry about it for "normal" stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.