Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OscarB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Hi Guys

I am gonna order the 27" iMac 2012. In my part of the world, I have two options which are roughly equivalent in terms of price:

1) The "lower" 27", with Fusion 1 TB
2) The "higher" 27", standard configuration

The latter will obviously give me more processing power and a better graphics card, but the former will give me that sweet SSD. Which would you prefer?

My use is primarily for my work, which is scientific and involves quite a lot of calculations, linear algebra and the likes. I also play games once in a while, and I am a hobby photographer with a 2 month daughter, so I take alot of pictures. I have a NAS, so storage is not an issue. I intend to purchase two 8GB sticks seperately, so will have a total of 24 GB ram.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

apedance

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2012
Vienna
What about the Core i7?

HT might be useful for your needs?

"calculations, linear algebra"

(correct me if i am wrong) ;)

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
another vote for basic 27" with the fusion drive

I recently melted the CPU/GPU Quad Core i7 2.2GHz of my 2011 MBP doing scientific calculations - still waiting for the new motherboard (it's been fitted once but then removed again by the Apple service company) So I've bought a MacPro for work science and have gone for the slowest coolest 2102 Mac mini, dual i5.
I'd maybe hold off on the Quad Core i7 in the 27" iMac until it's understood how it behaves thermally, under maximum load. Hopefully it's better designed than my MBP which saw the maxed-out graphics card and Quad i7 CPU sharing a single heatsink?

dmw16

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
I would think the better graphics card given your uses (games). The drive is something you can change later even if it's a bit of a pain, but the graphics chip you get is the one you are stuck with for the life of the machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.