Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
A new version was released and I see temp sensors have changed a bit.
In version 3.x we had CPU Core 1, CPU Core 2 and then CPU Die and CPU Heatsink (if I recall correctly).

Now in 4.0 both CPU Core 1 and 2 are gone. Now there are only "CPU Die" and "CPU proximity".

I assume CPU proximity is the CPU heatsink. CPU Die is the same, CPU Die.

So what happened with Core 1 and 2 temps? Cause I can recall them being around 3-10ºC lower than the Cores' depending on CPU load.

Were those sensors incorrect? They seemed pretty legit to me…
I wouldn't like to lose them as they seemed much more precise…

Point of the thread being:
Anyone still with iStat Menus 3.x? In that case, and if you plan on upgrading, could you check all the CPU sensors at 100% of load and then, after upgrade, compare it to the "new" CPU temps?

Thanks!

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
Just installed iStat4 myself. You might need to poke around a little and enable some sensors.

They did change the names, but I have all the same sensors.

CPU Core 1 became CPU Die - Digital Core 1

I have a CPU (aggregate), Digital Core 0 and Digital Core 1. I'm running on my 13" MBP i7 (dual-core). I already like the pop-up graphs (1 hour, 24 hour, 7 days) for each sensor. That's going to save me a lot of trips into Server Manager on the Mini at home.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Just installed iStat4 myself. You might need to poke around a little and enable some sensors.

They did change the names, but I have all the same sensors.

CPU Core 1 became CPU Die - Digital Core 1

I have a CPU (aggregate), Digital Core 0 and Digital Core 1. I'm running on my 13" MBP i7 (dual-core). I already like the pop-up graphs (1 hour, 24 hour, 7 days) for each sensor. That's going to save me a lot of trips into Server Manager on the Mini at home.

Well. In the case of the 2012 Mini two of them (at least) went away. In iStat 3 there were 4 CPU sensors, as this screenshot from Philip shows:

attachment.php

Now, all CPU sensors available through preferences are:

CPU Die
CPU Proximity

So 2 of them went away. I guess CPU Die is what used to be called CPU A. CPU Proximity stayed the same.

Also, and now that I look at it, a lot of sensors seem to have changed. Dunno what to trust now. :confused:

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
These are all temp sensors that are available.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2012-12-05 a la(s) 17.27.42.png
    Captura de pantalla 2012-12-05 a la(s) 17.27.42.png
    20 KB · Views: 239

davisac

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
Well. In the case of the 2012 Mini two of them (at least) went away. In iStat 3 there were 4 CPU sensors, as this screenshot from Philip shows:

attachment.php

Now, all CPU sensors available through preferences are:

CPU Die
CPU Proximity

So 2 of them went away. I guess CPU Die is what used to be called CPU A. CPU Proximity stayed the same.

Also, and now that I look at it, a lot of sensors seem to have changed. Dunno what to trust now. :confused:

Huh that's weird for me iStats 3 doesn't show CPU 2.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Where do you download this? The link through the Apple Widget site pulls up a dead link.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
OK. Downloaded iStat Pro and TempMonitor too. Compared temps with iStat Menu. All of them look pretty legit, so all I can say is that I guess v3 was getting wrong readings from even un-existing sensors. :confused:

Anyways, glad this is finally working as expected.
Will have to run some tests again though. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• ert.jpg
    ert.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 463

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
This is what I get on my 2011 MBP.

DAMN IT. That is what it should look like I guess… See the core0 and 1 temps? They slightly higher than the "CPU Die". I'd like to know what's the most accurate reading for the CPU.

You got an i7 there? QC? If one i7 has 4 CPU sensors all of them should.

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
DAMN IT. That is what it should look like I guess… See the core0 and 1 temps? They slightly higher than the "CPU Die". I'd like to know what's the most accurate reading for the CPU.

You got an i7 there? QC? If one i7 has 4 CPU sensors all of them should.

Well, that's strange. I can only suggest removing iStat completely (delete the plist files, etc) and re-install.

The 2011 13" MBP came with a i7-2620M. It's a dual-core i7.
http://ark.intel.com/products/52231

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Here's what I get on my 2012 MBP. No temperature gauges for individual cores over here.

WOW. You don't even have one single CPU reading! (Maybe that heatsink B one?)
What does iStat Pro say in your case? Or Temp Monitor?

Well, that's strange. I can only suggest removing iStat completely (delete the plist files, etc) and re-install.

Installed in a VM and got same readings. I guess this has to do with the 2012 Mini. Maybe it's iStatMenu that doesn't have all sensors configured for the newest Macs.

:confused:

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
WOW. You don't even have one single CPU reading! (Maybe that heatsink B one?)
What does iStat Pro say in your case? Or Temp Monitor?

Installed in a VM and got same readings. I guess this has to do with the 2012 Mini. Maybe it's iStatMenu that doesn't have all sensors configured for the newest Macs.

:confused:

Well, I installed the iStat update on my Late2009 iMac and it worked with all the previous sensors.

The last Mac to go is my 2012 Mini Server. You have me worried now. I'll install it there in the morning and post the results.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Installed iStat4 on my 2012 Mini and was left with only one CPU Temp. Core temps are gone.

I sent Bjango an email.

Yeah. What happened to those sensors? CPU1 and CPU2 are still there… It's just the software that doesn't read them anymore.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
How do I get istat on my dashboard? I had it before but dont see that option anymore...

You can download the original widgets from this post https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15877164/

Or you can download it from here Click for iStat Pro widget

The smaller widget is also there Click for iStat Nano widget

Try setting the color to grey and see it change appearance.

If you're on Mountain Lion you'll need to do some fiddling with the widgets on the last two links I gave you in order for it to show the processes correctly. The instructions on how to do that is on this forum.

Last edited:

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Anyone else seeing iStat Menus flood the console and system log with coreanimation errors? I just bought it today for a new rMBP and it produces multiple errors every second. Pretty useless as a monitor app if it's flooding the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.