Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCeborg

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
That's Apple's (good) problem. They have to speed up the cycles. They used to be able to launch in just a few markets then gradually roll out the rest of the world to beat their revenue numbers quarter after quarter (every quarter, new markets would keep the revenues pouring in). Now they have to roll out to the rest of the world much faster to try to keep beating their revenue targets. And once they've rolled out to much of rest of the world, they have to roll something else out or realize the sales falloff for the period between when it's available everywhere to when the new one is ready to be sold.

In short, the slope of Apple's revenue growth is too steep to keep depending on the products they have to keep setting records. What Apple has been doing is speeding up distribution to new markets to pull what used to be future revenues (by staggering rollouts to new markets) into the present. The problem with this is as described above. Faster rollouts drives record revenues until Apple has rolled out just about everywhere. Then, Apple needs a new version to try to do the same thing again.

What Apple really needs is a next, next big thing... something new to sell to everyone that is not a new version of an existing "big thing". This model of pulling sales forward by rolling out to new markets can only go so far. Eventually, Apple collides with the limitation of launching today in all countries. A next big thing or two can shore up the revenue growth. But what will that next big thing(s) be?

Very very well said. I agree 100%. And though it isn't related, but increasing the iPhone's size and shrinking the iPad is nothing but keeping up with the competition to maintain those exact figures/numbers you spoke about.
BTW, there is this thing called oppo find 5 or something. Just Google its images...would expect the new iPhone to look like that. But that's just me...
Here is a pic:
vahebune.jpg

And this is an actual phone and not a mockup BTW...

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
OK, I admit it. I printed that shell on my 3D printer and left it in a bar in Shenzen.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Pshhh. Everyone is saying, "Too soon!" I'm all like, "I'M BORED! SHOW ME PICTURES OF THE IPHONE 8S" :rolleyes:

For real though, I think this is the earliest I ever have seen next gen iPhone rumors (the iPhone 5 is only 2 and half months old, she's just a baby!)

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Wat

I thought their quad-core, 20nm chip by TSMC wasn't gonna be done by late 2013? I'm thinking this is fake.

holmstockd

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm just making incorrect assumptions, but I always thought the "S" in the iPhone 4S stood for "Siri". Why would any future models, midway cycle upgrades or otherwise, need the "S" as part of its moniker?

My guess is that the S was for Speed it started with the 3G"s" for the first time it was used... long before siri.

http://techcrunch.com/2009/06/08/say-hello-to-the-iphone-3gs-s-is-for-screaming-fast/

edit - mac stupid spell check for siri and it changed it to sire... lol

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Makes sense to me. Move iPhone to summer so both sizes of the iPad enjoy the pre-Christmas buying in the Fall. Can't have iPhone and iPad releasing so close like they did just recently, each line needs their own decent amount of time in the spotlight.

I believe this to be a one-time adjustment in the schedule. Every new iPhone won't come out every 9 months now, this is just a correction in the schedule. Majority of people buy phones on contract so releasing before Chistmas didn't matter. iPad line though is a HUGE deal to have "the newest thing" out for shoppers as they buy anytime of the year, not governed by your contract day ending.

Last edited:

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm just making incorrect assumptions, but I always thought the "S" in the iPhone 4S stood for "Siri". Why would any future models, midway cycle upgrades or otherwise, need the "S" as part of its moniker?

The "S" existed on the on 3GS long before Siri. It stood for "speed" at that time. Maybe it will mean something else this time... "Spend more money" or "Super Fasterer" who knows. Apparently, Apple's two favorite letters are "i" and "S".

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
It's been made clear the 12-15 month cycle was too slow.
O RLY? When was this? Or do you mean to say that "you Think the 12-15 month cycle is too slow."

I'm not sure I understand how 12 months is too slow when most people take out 2 year contracts when they buy these things.

This. A million times this. not to mention all the usual ranting about how they cant meet demand on the current products, yadda, yada, ya.

Pro31

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
After getting burnt from buying the ipad 3 and issues I have had with the ip5, I think I am going to wait a while before I buy any more iOS devices.

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
I'm not sure I understand how 12 months is too slow when most people take out 2 year contracts when they buy these things.

I've bought each iphone at launch with the exception of the first one, however I'll be waiting 1 year to upgrade even if the phone is released ever 9 months, reality is I will probably wait 18 months and buy every other release now.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Why?

It's been made clear the 12-15 month cycle was too slow. I think we'll see new iDevices every 9 or less months from here on out to keep up.

I'd rather see a NEW iPhone 6, 7, 8, ect. every year, and an "S" as a halfway mark upgrade.

Me too but folks in the US who buy phones on contract probably don't like this.

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
That'd be all well and good if everyone upgraded at the same time every 2 years. Because they don't, some people get a brand new phone that's competitive with other phones on the market and others have to either wait for the next upgrade of said phone or look to the rest of the market which is releasing more and more powerful and viable alternatives. IMHO, the 12 month cycle works for cars but not smart phones, especially not at the frequency at which these things are progressing technologically.

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany

The 3GS's S meant Speed..maybe it could mean Superb, Simple, Seven, idk....

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
No offense, but this is one thing I don't like. Too many people are obsessed with "new" and change for the sake of change. Unless the new phone gives you a feature you need or fixes a problem you have, why do we want/need something new & different?

Smartphone tech is accelerating faster and faster. They are the new computing devices, replacing computers for the most part.

I don't think 12 months is fast enough anymore.

And if there is an iPhone 5S, it will definitely have a bumped up CPU/GPU and likely more onboard storage and maybe even a better camera and RAM.

If that's not good enough of an upgrade for you, don't upgrade.

O RLY? When was this? Or do you mean to say that "you Think the 12-15 month cycle is too slow."

I hardly think I'm the minority here. If anything, you are. People were livid and impatient when they pushed the release cycle to 15 months for the 4S.

This. A million times this. not to mention all the usual ranting about how they cant meet demand on the current products, yadda, yada, ya.

Can't meet demand? Shipping times have dropped to 2-4 days in the US, and I can walk into a store and buy one. The phone was released about 2 months ago. Supply and demand isn't an issue.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Interesting that we're seeing this today as AAPL stock is down over 4% today and some are attributing it to a DigiTimes story that claims Apple's demands for parts and components is due to plunge 20%. Even though AT&T said today they expect record phone sales this quarter.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I am skipping the iPad 4 and will skip the iPhone 5S if there isn't a dramatic bump to hardware and software and design.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
oh no

I hate this, especially since my employer takes ages (2-3 months) to get me a new phone, still waiting for the 5 and now we are talking the next generation? I liked it better when it was yearly at best but then with a really new thing in it, like going from 3S to the 4. That might not be feasible in the future I assume but this constant upgrading gets annoying

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The iPhone 5 should have full capabilities of iOS7 just like the 4S has all capabilities of iO6.

One would hope, and I don't think iOS 7 is going to push forward as much as people hope.

It's still going to be very Forstall, incremental and status quo. Maybe in iOS 8 we will see the whole new era we are looking for.

For me though, I want Apple to once again act like a software company and focus on taking the mobile experience to the next level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.