Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Mr. Corporate Espionage himself...

Except no one ever accused him of that except a few Apple fan forum goers. Where did the "Eric stole while on the board" meme start anyway ? What confidential information are you accusing Google of stealing that wasn't just shown off in a keynote or in a patent application or heck, just plain obvious an idea that everyone was using already anyhow ?

axonic labs

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
I think both Tim [Cook, Apple's CEO] and Larry [Page, Google's CEO], the sort of successors to Steve [Jobs] and me if you will

Trying to equate himself to Steve Jobs.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Trying to equate himself to Steve Jobs.

If you read that quote properly, he's equating himself to Larry Page and Tim Cook to Steve Jobs.

IE, Eric was CEO of Google while Steve was CEO of Apple, and now Larry is CEO of Google while Tim is CEO of Apple

... sad that this has to be pointed out to you. Some of you guys really always want Google to be bad guys or something ? What did you think he meant ? I don't know why I bother reading the comments on these articles, it's always the same culprits trying to paint Google in a negative light.

I sure long for the days when Apple and Google were best pals. At least the forums weren't filled with such vitriol.

Yahrghrr

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Theft? Apple's UI paradigm? Just like how Apple stole the simplicity of app drawer design from Palm OS? Also, stock Palm OS did not have the notification center (used PalmOS 3.0 up to Garnet). That's a Google Android design AFAIK.

Considering Apple did take swipes at the Treo during the 2007 presentation, I'm sure they did at the very least have a quick look at then-current mobile devices... including the 2005 Palm LifeDrive with its rounded corners and big button:D

WannaSwitch

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
The adult way to run a business is to run it more like a country. They have disputes, yet they've actually been able to have huge trade with each other. They're not sending bombs at each other.

Sorry, didn't Jobs famously say in the biography that he was planning on "thermo-nuclear war" with Google? Obviously Jobs isn't there anymore and Cook thinks a little different (see what I did there? :p), so there might not be the bombs, but I think Cook is still going to come after Google in his own way.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
The Bill Gates Wannabe of the new era. Never met a good idea he thought up himself.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Apple had a contract with Google. Contract ended. Apple didn't renew.

I think Google thought that Apple would 'come to their senses' - figure out that Maps and YouTube were needed, and renew at the 11th hour. Google bet all their chips that this would happen. It didn't. Google had to scramble, and is now blaming Apple for Google not having a backup plan.Google has the best products, but they had a snobby attitude that Apple would continue to use their products. It bit them in the arse when Apple decided to compete with Google.

Now Eric Schmidt is trying to save face by spinning this.

And you have proof of this?

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
And you have proof of this?

It's common sense.

If you have a contract with your employer, let's say, and it's near the end of your contract, and the other party isn't talking about renewing - would you "be surprised" or would you be looking for another job? Yeah, exactly.

I don't care how Google spins this. Frankly I'm glad that Maps and Youtube are now standalone apps. Based on the update I downloaded last night, it's tons better than the 'baked in' version. Maps probably will be, too.

But let's not pretend that poor little Google had no idea this was coming.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Which doesn't make it any more valid. Did Google bother to patent their "Notification center" idea? If not, then anybody bringing that subject up as an argument is full of baloney, to put it very nicely.

Whether you, I, or anyone else is of the opinion that one idea is a rip-off of an earlier idea has nothing to do with whether the original idea was patented or not. Patent validity only matters when a dispute is ruled on in court, until then the patent is irrelevant. So until Apple make a legal claim that Google has infringed on any of their patents, or vice versa, and get a court ruling using 'patent or no patent' as an argument is irrelevant because until then it's only subjective opinion.

Did the first car maker have patents on those ideas the second maker stole? Then the first maker had the right to defend their R & D.

Look at the Windows phone. I wouldn't want one, but at least they did it the right way, licensing the parts of Apple they wanted to use, and coming up with their own ideas.

I like certain products of Google. I just dislike theft of ideas. Apple shouldn't have to do R & D for Android.

So, you're trying to make this "theft" claim into a purely legal argument about patent validity rather than your own personal perception of what was, in your opinion, stolen.
Well, then why are "theft" even being discussed when Apple hasn't even taken legal action against Google and made the claim that they are infringing on any of Apple's patents?

Last edited:

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
So, you're trying to make this "theft" claim into a purely legal argument about patent validity rather than your own personal perception of what was, in your opinion, stolen.
Well, then why are "theft" even being discussed when Apple hasn't even taken legal action against Google and made the claim that they are infringing on any of Apple's patents?

If you'll read my other comments, I admitted I have NO CLUE why Apple hasn't attacked Google directly. My thoughts, "kill the head, the snake is dead." But as I do not work for Apple's legal team, I can only guess. Unless you work for Apple's legal team, you're just guessing, too.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
If you'll read my other comments, I admitted I have NO CLUE why Apple hasn't attacked Google directly. My thoughts, "kill the head, the snake is dead." But as I do not work for Apple's legal team, I can only guess. Unless you work for Apple's legal team, you're just guessing, too.

Yes, it's your personal opinion that Google are thieves and it's your personal opinion that Apple should attack Google for that. In that context, patents or no patents are irrelevant

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Yes, it's your personal opinion that Google are thieves and it's your personal opinion that Apple should attack Google for that. In that context, patents or no patents are irrelevant

Uh, no. My opinion that Google has stolen some aspects and features of iOS STEMS from my knowledge of the patents Apple possesses. I didn't form an opinion at all until I saw the evidence presented. Do not guess at my intentions here.

Once more: I do not despise Google, I use many of their products and services. My opinion, if you want to call it that, is that Google "borrowed" quite extensively from Apple's R & D. As Apple owns the IP in question, they have the right to defend said IP.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

So wait, if Patent infringement is theft, were you also mad at Apple when they stole Klausner's technology ? Creative Labs' ? In those 2 cases, Apple had to go to court and settled with these companies after "stealing" their stuff.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Uh, no. My opinion that Google has stolen some aspects and features of iOS STEMS from my knowledge of the patents Apple possesses. I didn't form an opinion at all until I saw the evidence presented. Do not guess at my intentions here.

Once more: I do not despise Google, I use many of their products and services. My opinion, if you want to call it that, is that Google "borrowed" quite extensively from Apple's R & D. As Apple owns the IP in question, they have the right to defend said IP.

And exactly what IP has stolen Google?

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
So wait, if Patent infringement is theft, were you also mad at Apple when they stole Klausner's technology ? Creative Labs' ? In those 2 cases, Apple had to go to court and settled with these companies after "stealing" their stuff.

Theft is theft. When Apple steals, they deserve to pay or settle out of court. Just like with their copying the clock design in iOS. Wrong. But they paid, so it's no longer theft. Once Google settles, it's no longer theft. Until then, based on my view of the evidence presented, Google is in the wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.