Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Very very well said. I agree 100%. And though it isn't related, but increasing the iPhone's size and shrinking the iPad is nothing but keeping up with the competition to maintain those exact figures/numbers you spoke about.
BTW, there is this thing called oppo find 5 or something. Just Google its images...would expect the new iPhone to look like that. But that's just me...
Here is a pic:

And this is an actual phone and not a mockup BTW...

No, that's a render with exaggerated thinness and small bezels.

That's the actual phone:

Oppo-Find-5.jpg

Not quite as impressive. It actually has a pretty impractical shape.

Last edited:

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
No, that's a render with exaggerated thinness and small bezels.

That's the actual phone:

Not quite as impressive.

Agreed, that looks pretty ugly. iPhone 5 all day, I'm excited to hear about the 5S. I like the S models..

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
It's possible that Apple will be upgrading the iPhone every 6-9 months from now on. That would make sense from the perspective of a company trying to keep in step with technological advances as well as the competition.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Apple knows that there iphone and ipad devices are coming to and end. The minuscule changes/upgrades apple offres every iteration are not good enough anymore. So lets start releasing a new device, (iphone5, 5S, ipad mini) with shorter and shorter interval to be able to make as much money as possible..

:rolleyes: oh wow, some people just expect WAY too much. What do you want, something mind-blowing every 2 years? Come on man.

----------

It's possible that Apple will be upgrading the iPhone every 6-9 months from now on. That would make sense from the perspective of a company trying to keep in step with technological advances as well as the competition.

Or more realistic they're just shifting to a different release schedule. Fall for the iPad line as people aren't bound by contracts so they're more likely to buy them around Christmas shopping. iPhone needs to be further away for the iPad refresh anyway, this year was way too close together. Each line needs it's own time to shine. Just by putting iPad in Fall you automatically have to move the iPhone line as people are bound by contracts ending when they buy a phone so it really doesn't matter too much what time of year you release it as people start contracts at all times of the year so they're likely to just get whatever phone is available when they're contract ends.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I see some scratches on the left side of the chamfer on the back pic.

Scuffgate prevails in 5S! :D

iPhone 5S: Summer 2013
iPhone 6: Late Fall/Early Winter 2013

?

How can it be 5S though? Are they going to overclock A6? Announce a quadcore A7? A6 has hardly gotten the roll out treatment on current devices (only 5 and iPad4 atm)

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Or more realistic they're just shifting to a different release schedule.

They could be doing something more sensible: Dropping the annual release schedule.

It would be better if they released when new tech is ready. A schedule means sometimes tech will be rushed, leading to problems, or it might have to be delayed, leading to announcing old tech.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Love my iPhone 5 as it pretty much does everything I need it to do, so I don't really care about the 5s at all.

With that said, I have to admit I am becoming a bit bored with the iPhone in general, its user interface, inability to customize as you can on many android phones without jailbreaking, and screen size among other things. I don't know what I want, but as someone who is firmly planted in the Apple ecosystem, even I am considering my options when the contract for my 5 expires.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
They could be doing something more sensible: Dropping the annual release schedule.

It would be better if they released when new tech is ready. A schedule means sometimes tech will be rushed, leading to problems, or it might have to be delayed, leading to announcing old tech.

Good luck with Wall Street blowing up your stock price.

That simply isn't how the world of big business works. Its all a game of confidence and unrealistic expectations.

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
I think it might be a different model for China or something. Apple makes slight changes to China models, like one time they had no WiFi.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
i just got the IPhone 5, come on!!!:mad:

Just like every other flagship product in the cell phone world, the iPhone gets a yearly update. That means months of testing and tuning manufacturing processes. What in the hell are you mad about? This phone won't see the light of day for months.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
Wasnt there a report about Apple completely rebooting the iPad and iPhone late spring next year?

I really doubt they would call it 5S if it turns out to be true, although it does have a nice ring to it... but Id rather have a complete reboot.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I only found this article on digitimes, which says Apple's demand for part is going up 20% next yr?

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20121204PD210.html

Could the drop be attributed to the iRadio being 'nowhere close' rumor? Which would be lol
Now I'm hearing it has to do with margin requirements changing on the stock. Though I'm sure the haters out there would love it to be due to all the memes out there right now - lack of innovation, Steve Jobs "premium" over, declining tablet share, etc. as far as DigiTimes report, I think I saw it in Marketwatch.com so who knows if it's accurate. :p

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Or more realistic they're just shifting to a different release schedule. Fall for the iPad line as people aren't bound by contracts so they're more likely to buy them around Christmas shopping. iPhone needs to be further away for the iPad refresh anyway, this year was way too close together. Each line needs it's own time to shine. Just by putting iPad in Fall you automatically have to move the iPhone line as people are bound by contracts ending when they buy a phone so it really doesn't matter too much what time of year you release it as people start contracts at all times of the year so they're likely to just get whatever phone is available when they're contract ends.

I hope this is the case and the iPhone5s is released the last week of June.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.