Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Still no 'Remote' option for those who like to control & view YouTube through their TV?

And no HD/SD selection when viewing over 3G.

Disappointing.

I will admit that is annoying as all hell.

I hate being on 3g hell even LTE and watching the most choppy of crap ever

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I for one am really glad Apple dropped it from the OS and Google made the standalone app. Now it can get great updates without updating the OS. I wish they would get away from the black though. I prefer brighter colours. And we have the choice to download it. I want the choice to remove the crap I never use such as Passbook, Weather, News Stand, Compass and the stock app.

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
I will admit that is annoying as all hell.

I hate being on 3g hell even LTE and watching the most choppy of crap ever

Yeah. It was a big letdown to see the quality of videos drop via LTE. I will continue to use MCTube till we get an update or jailbreak to use My3G.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
It's probably the same reason they don't ship their computers with all the garbage that comes on a Windows PC - if you really want it, you can go get it.

Really? Well it didn't stop them from shipping this garbage with iOS 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Its simply that they hate google, plain and simple. They even shot themselves in the foot with their hillarious maps app.

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
Does it support background audio yet?

----------

Really? Well it didn't stop them from shipping this garbage with iOS 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Its simply that they hate google, plain and simple. They even shot themselves in the foot with their hillarious maps app.

Initially the native YouTube app wasn't garbage, but YouTube gained new features that weren't supported by the old app.. so there's a new app.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I'd rather they release the app now with missing functionality then have us wait a year for them to implement what everyone considers "basic". The basic feature is not background playing, it's just watching Youtube videos. The app does that really well.

They can keep adding stuff to it as it progresses, but at least we now have an option to use it while they improve it.

Ask any teenager if background playing is "basic". For them, YT is akin to listening to the radio.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
There was no reason for Apple not to include this in iOS 6. Apple has nothing that competes with this. The only reason I can think off it's that it's a 3rd party app, and Apple doesn't want to ship with 3rd party apps. Would it hurt Apple to ship with the most popular 3rd party apps like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter?

I don't want these ****** apps forced on me. The OS is getting bloated enough. I want YouTube but I still want the choice. It’s not something I want on my kids ipod which has limited memory.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Yes it does - I'm not disputing that. That extra functionality isn't exactly a piece of cake to implement though, especially when you've got to make it work with millions of videos that dont actually have separate audio feeds for their videos.

One guy (Jason Morrissey) can get this implemented this, but the minions at the Googleplex can't?

I'm calling BS.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Ask any teenager if background playing is "basic". For them, YT is akin to listening to the radio.

And for me it's not. Obviously, the Youtube developpers also don't think it's "basic" or if they do, they preferred getting video playback and streaming working, which I guess is even more basic.

It's probably going to come into an update, I don't know why people are shocked that Google's software developement paradigm is "Release early, release often", which means you get feature updates as the software progresses rather than wait for years for a feature complete version to get released while you use nothing.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
One guy (Jason Morrissey) can get this implemented this, but the minions at the Googleplex can't?

I'm calling BS.

Of course they can. But implementing features takes time. Would you have wanted to wait another 6 months without a Youtube app ? Another year ? Google built the app, shipped it with a few features and is adding more as time progresses, in an order they deem best fills priorities (obviously, iPhone 5/iPad support was higher on the list than background audio).

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
And for me it's not. Obviously, the Youtube developpers also don't think it's "basic" or if they do, they preferred getting video playback and streaming working, which I guess is even more basic.

It's probably going to come into an update, I don't know why people are shocked that Google's software developement paradigm is "Release early, release often", which means you get feature updates as the software progresses rather than wait for years for a feature complete version to get released while you use nothing.

I'm callling BS (again).

The latest version Jasmine had to have background audio removed at the request of Google's minions:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jasmine-youtube-client/id554937050?mt=8

What's New in Version 1.0.3

Release Notes: Jasmine 1.0.3
------------------------

✤ The Bad:

These changes were requested by YouTube/Google Inc.

x Removed Automatic "Background Audio" playback. Native to iOS, this can still be invoked manually by double-tapping the home button, swiping right and hitting play
x Removed customisable skip/rewind controls
x Switched to YouTube compliant playback (adds 1-2 seconds to video load times and limits refinement around playlist auto-queueing)

This isn't something Google can't figure out, this is something Google doesn't want iOS users to be able to do. Quit while you're behind and stop making up excuses for them.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'm callling BS (again).

This isn't something Google can't figure out, this is something Google doesn't want iOS users to be able to do. Quit while you're behind and stop making up excuses for them.

You're assuming that Google asked Jasmine to remove it to prevent all iOS users from getting it. Stop making up evil plots for them.

Works both ways. There are quite a few valid reasons to prevent background streaming where Google is not in control of the code, and to me, that screams "don't make features that could waste our bandwidth".

Of course, I don't automatically assume Google is out to be evil and mean. You do. Hence our difference of opinion here.

The Wedge

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
Would it hurt Apple to ship with the most popular 3rd party apps like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter?

YouTube is one thing, but shipping with facebook and twitter is just obnoxious. I don't need that crap forced on me.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Here's why I like the YouTube app:

It allows you to watch a video and scroll through comments or suggested/related videos at the same time.

On all other apps and even the YouTube mobile site through Safari, you can't do this. I enjoy clicking on a video and while the video rolls, browse all the view comments and contribute my own. It's more engaging than watching a video, then stop video to go read comments, see a comment that says "this part was great" or "time stamp X:XX is really good!" and having to go reload the video to see it again.

No other app does this. That is what made, IMO, the original Apple YouTube app great. And now this Google YouTube app has retained this feature.

Much better than some "in the background playing" feature. To me, YT is about interataction, and this is a key feature.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
I was surprised that the new YouTube app originally didn't support the iPad (and I later found out, the 4" screens, as well). This seemed lazy on Google's part to not have it built as a Universal app. I ended up viewing videos through Safari or using an older iPad, since the iPhone-only YouTube app just wasn't cutting it.

Still, glad to see that it is built for the iPad now.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Since I've had this app, I get about 30 seconds of video then it hangs and is stuck on stupid. Might take 2-3 minutes for it to get back to streaming video. Hope this is fixed <crosses fingers>.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

I'm calling BS.

Go and read again. Now, where exactly did I say 'it cant be done at all'. I said it's not a simple task. Meaning it takes time.

Arguably it would take the likes of Google a lot longer to do than 'one guy', as Google has it all integrated with their existing API's and advert systems.

I'm not making excuses for them here, I'm just saying it takes time and it's better to get the product released with 1 very minor feature missing, than making people wait 6 months for it.

Dont forget that YouTube makes money from people LOOKING at the ads, so Google have zero incentive to make this work in a hurry. Anyone would do the same if you were in their position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.