Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macleod199

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
I'm probably the minority, but I used coverflow when listening to music on my computer. I liked being able to glance at my screen to see what album was playing when I shuffled my music. Also, they have gotten rid of the now playing window in the lower left. I used this for two things. First: Like coverflow, I was able to see what album was being played.

More importantly to me, it would show the name of the current chapter in a podcast. I used to have iTunes behind all other windows, with just the bottom inch or so showing so I could see the name of the current song on my music podcasts in this window. Doh.

2: When adding new artwork to tracks (I prefer to add my own artwork), I could just drag and drop the artwork into this window and add it to multiple tracks at once. This option is now gone. Now I have to select each track individually, go to info, select artwork tab and add it. That is a pain in the buns when adding multiple tracks to my library. Does anyone know of another way?

You can select multiple tracks at a time, go to info, and drop the artwork in there. That's how I've always done it - didn't realize you could use that other window.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
A good pair of headphones or good quality audio system should solve that. Sounds like you're just listening through the computer's built-in speakers.

Thanks for the advice, Actually I am using a Weiss Medea Dac on a pair of Tidal Piano speakers. Anyways iTunes for me provides the best interface for looking into my music collection. If only the sound engine was a bit better, but oh well..

Last edited:

atakordie

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2005
Columbia, SC
Funny thing that cover flow was removed... Steve was so happy about the cover flow on the phone when it came out. Surprised they are getting rid of this, even if "rarely used." If 1% of iTunes users loved cover flow, that's still a lot of people having to do without it.

Glad I didn't update. I use cover flow every week to flip through the 452 movie posters I have put in so my wife and I can pick a movie to watch in full screen mode rather than browse text or small icons.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
Duplicates is a good start. For me cover flow looks good and a nice concept but with thousands of albums, it lags too much for me. I'd also bring back DJ because no matter what you think, UP NEXT is not the same thing but a nice addition.

----------

oh and my AirTunes (music) to my stereo stops when my computer falls asleep. This NEVER happened before 11.

sibeba

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Sort New Music

If anyone finds out I'd sure like to know. This was how I sorted my music most often.

Simple - just add Date Added - use View and then View Options (in Itunes 11). You can then just click the top of this column and the music you just added will be at the top - simples

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
sidebar

I may be in the minority, but I miss the sidebar, it was much more intuitive to me to have evertything accessible there, and to manage my playlists, browse around, etc...

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Lets hope they 'fix' shuffle play as well, i.e put it back to being by playlist rather than globally on/off

It's only global if you have your whole music library selected when you click the shuffle button. If you select a playlist first, the shuffle button will limit the Up Next list to that playlist.

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Hybrid view

Please bring back the hybrid song/album view. By far my most used view and now it has disappeared. I'm moving to Musicbee if this doesn't come back.

devsfan1830

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
VA
Has anyone gotten iCloud based playback position sync to work reliably between iOS devices and iTunes on Windows? Currently I've seen sporadic position playback sync with podcasts between my iPad and iPhone. Sync does not occur between iOS and iTunes unless I physically sync the device with a cable. No matter who starts playback first, the other doesn't reflect where I paused over iCloud. I've had sporadic success with iPad<->iPhone. With this being a cornerstone feature such as this, I expected there to be even an iCloud specific preference pane. I can't find one. Seems like I'm supposed to assume its built in and working. If that's the case, its not. I was hoping this would reduce my need to sync my windows and macbook iTunes libraries with synctoy.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Who would coverflow hurt if it was an option, even if buried in a preferences panel? I don't use it much, but I don't mind if others do... why should I?

Anyway, artwork in the sidebar before I even consider using iTunes 11 again.

Also, reading Apple are going to 'fix artwork' is funny, I just spent a while last night putting back my nicely custom-processed artwork when Match decided, again, to replace various albums' artwork with the inferior artwork that it previously assigned. Grrr...

natural1

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
Cover Flow Big Loss

Wow, am I glad to see Cover Flow gone. I found it to be one of the least usable UI developments of recent years. It read to me, from day one, as a hardware/OS showcase with little practical utility.

Why are you glad to see it go? Did Cover Flow beat you up and take your lunch money?

Actually, it was one of the most practical views available when viewing albums or movies on a TV from a couch across the room.

As far as I know, no one was forced to use Cover Flow, but for those who did it was a very practical option.

Apple limiting options for customers is never a good thing - someday soon, something you like/use will be removed and you will be complaining...

:confused:

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Nobody seems to be talking about the fact that you can't sort the iTunes Store search results in the Songs list view. Clicking on the column headers does nothing.

This is the single worst thing about iTunes 11, IMO.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
cover flow = skeumorphism, its on its way out then...

itunes 11 design / UI could be the basis for OS X 10.9, which is good imo

Some skeuomorphism is good, in my opinion -- integration of artistic creativity is part of what makes Apple unique. I'm a huge fan of cover flow and would be pretty disappointed to see it go.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
I think for the most part this is a better iTunes, but I have huge issues with some of the changes in terms of operation. I recall that Steve Jobs always wanted to make things obviously easier. No more than a click or two to get the task done. Something like DJ was a quick click. Click DJ then your playlist or entire library would be all right there and you could view 100 songs to play and you could move them around on the fly. Up Next is not as simple. It's a good addition because you can choose from anything in the library but not substitution. Thats just one example.

Last edited:

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I amazes me to see people criticize and complain things that they are actually wrong about. Through the various threads it has become apparent that many people know almost nothing about iTunes software. I'm guessing that maybe they just ran with whatever defaults that Apple gave them and didn't figure out what the software was actually capable of.

Now that there are different defaults you get all these "OMG I miss the sidebar" and "how do I sort by x now?' There are certainly some bugs with this release and some feature changes that people have legitimate complaints about, but can't people be bothered to actually spend time going through software to figure out what it does?

I spend the first day exploring all the preferences, discovering the contextual items (for example "View Options" gives you very different options depending on which view you are in). It seems to me that many of people's complaint are really their laziness at figuring out what the software can do.

----------

I think for the most part this is a better iTunes, but I have hige issues with some of the changes in terms of operation. I recall that Steve Jobs always wanted to make things obviously easier. No more than a click or two to get the task done. Something like DJ was a quick click. Click DJ then your playlist or entire library and you cant a full view of songs to play and you could move them around on the fly. Up Next is not as simple. It would have been a good addition but not substation. Other items have more to find where they are.

I am actually surprised that they haven't addressed this. I'm guessing that it is harder to quickly solve than just adding back find duplicates. I have never used DJ, but from what I gather, people often used it for the feature where iPhone users could pick songs to be put into the playlist at a party. That seems to me like a bigger deal to remove without a viable alternative than taking the album covers out of the song view mode.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
FIX the APP updates not going back into iTunes 11

Anyone else have this problem? If I get an app update on my iPhone 4S, then hook it up to my MBP, the new updated apps don't get copied back to my computer like they used to. This is a problem because I have 2 iPhones and 1 iPod Touch that all sync with the same account.

Also, if you download say a 1GB game update, you don't want to have to re-download this.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The point of Coverflow was to have your music on shuffle.

Seeing the Album art at a glance on the TV.

I just uninstalled 11 and went back to 10.7

With 11....double click the album art in the info window at the top of the main iTunes window. Or from the mini player.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Apple says this is a rare bug, but one it has solved and will fix in a minor update soon

A rare bug?

I've never seen anyone's iTunes collection without missing art work.
They even have a feature to re-download Missing Artwork.
Why is it always going missing?
It the code really this buggy?
Imagine if other Apple Apps behaved like this.

Logic Pro User recording Artist:
I've just finished recording a solid gold album.
Time to upload to the studio for mastering.

Studio Mgr:
Thanks for the upload. I thought you said the album had 12 songs.

Artist:
Well them's the breaks.
Logic Pro must have deleted one.
It's a rare bug.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I want to be able to re-size my album artwork :(

I don't understand why they felt the need to remove that feature.

I liked seeing album art in song list view. Much prefered that type of listing. If they brought that back, and enabled flac support, I would be a very happy camper with iTunes 11.

I must admit, I don't miss cover flow on OSX, but would be sad to see it go in iOS.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
It's only global if you have your whole music library selected when you click the shuffle button. If you select a playlist first, the shuffle button will limit the Up Next list to that playlist.

Not on my installation:
- Go to a playlist - e.g. My Top Rated - select Shuffle
- Now go to a smart playlist that selects by Album
- Play first track
- Shuffle applied so plays album tracks randomly

Useful - Not

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I amazes me to see people criticize and complain things that they are actually wrong about. Through the various threads it has become apparent that many people know almost nothing about iTunes software. I'm guessing that maybe they just ran with whatever defaults that Apple gave them and didn't figure out what the software was actually capable of.

Now that there are different defaults you get all these "OMG I miss the sidebar" and "how do I sort by x now?' There are certainly some bugs with this release and some feature changes that people have legitimate complaints about, but can't people be bothered to actually spend time going through software to figure out what it does?

I spend the first day exploring all the preferences, discovering the contextual items (for example "View Options" gives you very different options depending on which view you are in). It seems to me that many of people's complaint are really their laziness at figuring out what the software can do.

I do exactly the same as you, but why should people have to? It's just their music player, not their Mass Spectrometer.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
With 11....double click the album art in the info window at the top of the main iTunes window. Or from the mini player.

You entirely miss the point of what I said.

I said ......"The point of Coverflow was to have your music on shuffle.

Seeing the Album art at a glance on the TV.

I just uninstalled 11 and went back to 10.7"

Why on earth would I want to constantly be going over to my computer when I have friends over to click something to show album art ? ? ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.