Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
As everyone else that purchased a samsung printer, using it with wifi in os x is just rubbish. After several hours struggling with the manual and getting nowhere with the supplied software. I finally found the solution.

Samsung has just skipped the easy way setting wifi up. You had to surf around for the program as it was NOT included on the install software supplied with the printer. Go to the support pages for the printer. There you will have a download page for software. Therefore here is the link for everyone else.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/CLX-3305W/XAA-downloads

Go to software and down the page we find "Wireless Setting"-program!

YIPPIE!!!

Thank you Samsung. *ironic*

Attachments

• samsung wifi.jpg
    samsung wifi.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 7,064
Last edited:

izzig

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Samsung CLX-3305W: How to get wifi working...

I downloaded all the items for mac on the samsung site including the wireless setting for mac. printer still is not working without usb cable...

when I try to set the ip address of the printer using the installing dvd, it reads: 'No Java 2 SDK Standard Edition v 1.4.2 Support' even though my Java downloads are up-to-date.

do you have another advice for me? maybe temporarily shutting down iCloud?

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
I'm sorry that I did not check in here sooner.

If the printer is still not seen after running the wireless settings program. Then add the printer as network printer in system configuration in printer and scanner in os x by adding it with the plus sign. You can select IP the "globe" and protocal IPP. Use name as ip adress can change if dhcp is used. Or by ip if static is used.

Ok how I installed the printer in more words as I was a bit short in my post. Sorry for that also.

How I installed the printer to work wireless and double checked to make it work to my liking

Unpack the printer. Remove transport protection. Wiggle the toner. Pull out the paper tray and set it to A4. Add paper after fanning it so it does not stick together. Connect printer with usb-cabel to computer. Plug in electrical socket. Turn on printer. Install the program cd that came with the printer. Here the manual talks about choosing wireless install method through a choice in a menu in the install program. This is not possible in os x 10.8.2 as the choice is not included in the install program supplied with the printer. After running the installation with usb and the following reboot. Download the program "wireless setting" from support pages part software. Note that the usb cable must be connected still. Run wireless setting, this program finds the printer and router. Here you can set your wireless password and security settings for your router and let the printers wifi connect to the router. You have now configured the printer to be allowed to find and connect to the router wireless. You can now disconnect the usb cable. If the printer is still not seen after running the wireless settings program. Then add the printer as network printer in system configuration in printer and scanner in os x by adding it with the plus sign. You can select IP the "globe" and protocal IPP. Use name as ip adress can change if dhcp is used. Or by ip if static is used. I set the printer through bonjour or the installed program Samsung easy printer manager. Or print out a network conf on the printer and use safari to log in to the sync through web service on the printer. My local ip was http://192.168.0.13 for example. I logged in with the default
• ID: admin
• Password: sec00000
In machine settings I unchecked the value "Auto Power Off" as that choice makes the printer not reachable for wifi. It's has no power. I set Eco to "On".
In network settings I double checked that the choice dhcp auto ip was checked. Wireless was enabled. The wifi setting wizard was run and it was good. In custom it was ok. For me wifi direct is off as I don't need it myself. IOS print works without it.

Print something. I used a safari webpage. I there selected my choice of standard print, For me I select black and white. With backgrounds. I count my pennies...

I use scanning through os x own program.

By the way. It's only possible to update printer firmware in windows, despite it saying all os in support pages. I have written an email to samsung sweden stating the bad install software and lack of wifi settings in the install program. And the lack of firmware, it's packaged in an exe-file. making it impossible to update on the printer in any other operating system. The printer software has a firmware upgrade choice but due to the firmware only being packaged in an exe file it can not read it and update the printer saying wrong file format. Samsung thanked me for bringing it to their attention and sent it to the os x team so the software could be corrected. Perhaps there is hope for samsung printers in os x in the future. Also wrote a bad review stating bad support for os x and rubbish install software. Do the same thing on your samsung support site.

My email to samsung through support pages through google translate with corrections:

You forgot to press the wireless setup for os x on the supplied installisationscd. Your English manual which incidentally is the only correct one that can be downloaded from the swedish site to the printer has the wrong instructions. Also your own support website is wrong. To connect the printer to the wifi the needed setup "wireless setting" is NOT there and the printer can't log on to wireless networks.

Additionally missing is firmware upgrade for os x, it is windows only program for this. The easiest way is to put this firmware file in your printer directly through a http page as any router has. Why this is not done is a very big mystery. Now you have to have windows to upgrade the printer's firmware. Support for linux and os x is therefore doubtful.

Whoever sent the install program cd for pressing should get one strong internal email regarding carelessness and the negative perception of Samsung printers that spreads after this faux pas.

Hoping for a touch-up, new downloadable full installisations CD with wifi settings program and a firmware upgrade program for os x, linux or insert it into the print server that is accepted standard for firmware upgrades for routers, etc.

Sincerely

My reply from Samsung on my email through google translate with some spelling correction:

Thank you for your e-mail with Samsung Electronics Nordic.

This was not good at all and a big thank you for pointing this out to us.
We will take this on to those responsible for the development and support for Mac os.x and get this corrected as soon as possible.
We recognize absolutely that these things should not have been allowed to happen, or as you say, we lose both reputation and customers from these mistakes.

We are deeply sorry on your behalf and all others who have been wronged from this mistake.

Please contact us again if you have more questions.

Sincerely

Samsung Support

Last edited:
Reactions: drbrake

Sanderssays

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Still not working

Hi there,

I followed your advice but still can't print without usb cable plugged in. I downloaded the wireless settings. It then wanted to connect through its own SSID called 'portthru'. I changed it to my wireless network, put in my security key and it said it was successful but 'my printer and computer could not communicate/connect and that I should make sure that they have the same wireless settings. I have tried everything it just doesn't work!!

Best

VetterC

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
I too had to struggling with this with much aggravation. Samsung support was useless and what I find most annoying is the "Techs" don't have a simple resolution for this (when there is one) and the set-up instructions mention things that aren't even applicable. I registered here because I got mine working and I hope to help others with this VERY frustrating dilemma.

I'm running OS X 10.7.5 currently BTW.

Install instructions often mention things that aren't applicable. Don't worry.

To user above, izzig, I too had that "No Java 2 SDK Standard Edition v 1.4.2 Support for APPLETT!!!" when during the install utility you get to the point where you can click a 'Set IP' button. Don't worry about it. You DO have that Java as long as your OS X updates are done (OS X updates and runs Java in the background automatically). Frustrating trying to troubleshoot that problem when it's irrelevant.

To user above, Sanderssays, I also had my printer setting up it's own network (or whatever) called Portthru which showed up under Devices in my Wireless Networks 'radar' thing. Also pointless and cause for more wasted time and frustration.

Another problem I had was that I couldn't open the SyncThru utility that Samsung references in many troubleshooting guides and videos and in many install instructions to get this set up. The first IP address my printer came with was 168.xxx.x.xx and one Samsung rep said this was 'wrong' but had no solution how to fix it. To change it, I plugged the printer directly into my router via Ethernet and it reassigned it a new IP automatically. Unplug Ethernet. With new IP, now 192.168.x.xx SyncThru still wouldn't open, but it turns out this wasn't the real problem either and just consumed a lot of wasted time trying to troubleshoot. It gets fixed at the end, keep reading...

So everyone moving forward, try these steps. I'll try to make this really simple because that's how I wish I had found it for myself after hours of searching on the internet, calling Apple and calling and online chatting with Samsung.

1. Plug in printer to power supply

2. Plug in printer to USB connection on Mac

3. Insert install CD that comes with printer

4. Open MAC_Installer folder and run Installer OS X.mpkg

5. Just go through all the steps (don't bother clicking on the Set IP button at the User Options menu point of the install) and restart computer as instructed

6. At this point, just for good measure, I would recommend going to the Samsung Support Downloads and under Drivers, find the latest for OS X and update those.

7. If your printer isn't already found with its USB connection in System Preferences > Print & Scan, just press the + button and add it. This shouldn't be a problem with the drivers installed and USB connected.

8. Now to get Wireless set up: Never mind adding the printer as a Network printer with IPP and its ISP blah blah blah. You want this the simple, proper, 'normal' way, right? From that same Samsung Support Downloads link in Step 6, go to the Software menu and download the Mac OS X Wireless Setting file (mentioned above by user, Frosties, in this thread). This is important. You must download and run this file...but not until you read Step 9.

9. KEY TO SUCCESS! *DON'T* do the 'use default (recommended) settings'. I did at first and ended up with that Portthru BS. Change the selection to 'custom settings' and from there it will automatically search for near-by wireless networks to join! OMG, amazing. Why can't the instructions or Samsung 'Techs' tell you this!!???

10. Surely your wireless network will be listed and select it. Enter your WEP. That should work. Disconnect USB when it tells you to, click Next like it tells you to and you should be just about up and running.

11. Go back to System Preferences > Print & Scan, click + and it will now find your Samsung wireless printer. I am also able to print to it from my iPhone and iPad.

12. In System Preferences > Print & Scan and removed (-) the original, USB connected, printer (probably don't have to, but you can to tidy things up).

13. Try your printer's IP address in a URL bar now and SyncThru should work! Here you can customize settings and so on. Low and behold, however, you can also do this in the printer utility by going to System Preferences > Print & Scan > and then with your Samsung printer selected, click the Options & Supplies button and then click on the Utility menu. Lots of stuff can be customized here.

I really hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited:

VetterC

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
Update - After having everything up and running, AirPrint working, etc. I went to work for 24hrs and when I came home and 'woke up' the printer, it was 'stuck' and even though the wireless connection was there and solid, I couldn't open SyncThru and Samsung Easy Printer Manager would just think forever.

Chatted with Samsung support and, get this, their solution was to "unplug the printer and wait for 15-30 minutes."

Needless to say I was highly skeptical of this ingenious "fix" but so far it seems to have worked. Printer and computer have since been to sleep and woken up while successfully maintaining wireless connection and full functionality.

Also, in hindsight, after finally getting all of this to work and reading through the 314 page manual about a dozen times, it actually does explain most things properly, just in a needlessly confusing way and all over the place. It would be much easier if they made everything applicable to Mac all in one section.

VetterC

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
Update - After having everything up and running, AirPrint working, etc. I went to work for 24hrs and when I came home and 'woke up' the printer, it was 'stuck' and even though the wireless connection was there and solid, I couldn't open SyncThru and Samsung Easy Printer Manager would just think forever.

Chatted with Samsung support and, get this, their solution was to "unplug the printer and wait for 15-30 minutes."

Needless to say I was highly skeptical of this ingenious "fix" but so far it seems to have worked. Printer and computer have since been to sleep and woken up while successfully maintaining wireless connection and full functionality.
This continues to happen at random. Usually days apart, but I have had it happen mere hours after printing a pervious job.

Unplug and plug back in works. Doesn't need to be 15-30 minutes; a few seconds suffices.

sevenforseven

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2003
Luxembourg
wifi still not working

SyncThru Web Service shows printer is connected and also prints its testpage wirelessly, but printing from an application fails.
Any idea somebody?

VetterC

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
The Support Downloads link I provided above no longer works. The new support page doesn't include downloads for Macs for Easy Printer Manager, Colour Manager or Scan Driver. Sooooo.... :confused:

PKH1961

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2013
Purchased a Samsung CLX-3305W yesterday. Got it working on OS X 10.8 in these simple steps:

1. Plug in the printer (don't use USB)
2. Press WPS on printer
3. Press WPS on router ( you got 2 minutes to do so)
4. Done

Now you can install the software like Easy printer Manager and Scan Assistant from the CD.

captainmacman

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
This is driving me nuts. I wish I had never heard of Samsung. Their web site does not match the Manual - neither of which matches the actual software! Their web site offers absolutely no intelligible support in plain English.

I cannot find the above mentioned download "Mac OS X Wireless Setting file" anywhere on their web site, which seems to have been designed and translated by the Taliban!

Anyway, I cannot find ANY way to link my brand new CLX-3305W to my WLAN which uses Airport. Has anybody cracked this or should I give up?

(Mac Pro - 10.7.5)

Last edited:

Dacq

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013
Worked all fine with "easy wireless setup" tool

Hi,
I was struggling as well to get things working, but then I followed the link at the top of this page, http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/CLX-3305W/XAA-downloads

and downloaded

Mac OS 10.5 ~ 10.8V1.2.3Easy Wireless Setup2013.04.03MULTI LANGUAGE4.72 MB

which worked all fine for me, no hassle. The printer has done a great first week of service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.