Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Hello all.

I'm a freshman and been a PC user my whole life. I'm planning on getting a 15" rMBP (the base model, 2.3GHz quad-core i7 and 8GB of RAM) this month or the next. But I have some worries since I'll be spending $2200+ on it (even with the education discount!). Macbooks here (UAE) are very expensive, but I guess you get what you paid for.

1- Will it last for 4 years (for university)? And will it do the job and run programs like photoshop, autocad and other video programs with no problems even after 3 years? (Ignore that treatment point, I'm talking about the hardware).

2- I'm also concerned about the repairability of the machine, since that we don't have AppleCare plans here and I don't think there is this 3 years hardware warranty for education buyers because it's not mentioned in the Apple online store anywhere (even in the policy) and only the discount is mentioned. So if the rMBP passes the 1 year limited warranty with no problems, is it likely to fail after that? Because repairing it then would cost a fortune here.

Thanks for your help and sorry if this took you long to read. Can't make it more brief since English isn't my mother language :p

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
I think you can order the protection plan from apple online after you buy your laptop as long as its before the first year is up. Also I had a junky pc laptop last me through 2 years of school. A decent 15" rmbp should more than last 4-5 years.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Well, the likehood that anything happens is fairly low, but if it does, you are looking at a substantial repair fee. I wouldn't get a laptop like that if there is no way to reduce the financial risk.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
1- Will it last for 4 years (for university)? And will it do the job and run programs like photoshop, autocad and other video programs with no problems even after 3 years? (Ignore that treatment point, I'm talking about the hardware).
Yes, it will last beyond that time frame, I've had laptops and computer from apple last excess of 5+ years and they're able to run my apps.

2- I'm also concerned about the repairability of the machine, since that we don't have AppleCare plans here and I don't think there is this 3 years hardware warranty for education buyers because it's not mentioned in the Apple online store anywhere (even in the policy) and only the discount is mentioned. So if the rMBP passes the 1 year limited warranty with no problems, is it likely to fail after that? Because repairing it then would cost a fortune here.
The rMBP is probably the least repairable laptop apple has, its pretty much locked down with proprietary components and manufacturing processes. That is the screen and top lid are glued and you cannot replace the lcd panel with out replacing the entire display and lid. With that said if maintained well this shouldn't be a major concern.

If you want the ability to replace the hard drive, optical unit, etc, then the cMBP may be a better choice.

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Thanks everyone :)

I think you can order the protection plan from apple online after you buy your laptop as long as its before the first year is up. Also I had a junky pc laptop last me through 2 years of school. A decent 15" rmbp should more than last 4-5 years.

We don't have protection plans here, even through the online store :(

If you want the ability to replace the hard drive, optical unit, etc, then the cMBP may be a better choice.

Nah, 8GB of RAM is enough. Even the 256GB SSD. I have a 320GB HDD now and still 35GB of it is free, even though it's full of stuff I don't need. And I can always use external drives if I need more space. So to conclude, I wont need to upgrade anything.

___

I went to an authorized re-seller and spoke to a guy that works there. He told me that I wont be needing the extra protection if you take good care of your machine, as Apple makes good quality products and they wont fail. He convinced me really and most likely I'll be getting the 15" rMBP eventually.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
I went to an authorized re-seller and spoke to a guy that works there. He told me that I wont be needing the extra protection if you take good care of your machine, as Apple makes good quality products and they wont fail. He convinced me really and most likely I'll be getting the 15" rMBP eventually.

Sorry dude but any electronics no matter how good can fail. There is no way he can absolutely say that will not happen.

NoodleSoup

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Since you are getting the educational discount the macbook will come with a 3 years hardware warranty and a one year phone support (Take UK as an example). And I wouldn't be too worry about the durability of macbook and you can get appointment in an apple retail store and the staff over there will get it fixed or replaced possibly for free if there's indeed something wrong with your macbook, this is the kind of service you rarely get from other brands.

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Since you are getting the educational discount the macbook will come with a 3 years hardware warranty and a one year phone support (Take UK as an example). And I wouldn't be too worry about the durability of macbook and you can get appointment in an apple retail store and the staff over there will get it fixed or replaced possibly for free if there's indeed something wrong with your macbook, this is the kind of service you rarely get from other brands.

I don't think that I'll be getting the 3 years hardware warranty. The education store and the policy for the UAE Apple Online Store only mentions the price discount. But I'll be calling them this week to inquire about the warranty for students.

We don't have official Apple retail stores here. We only have authorized re-sellers. So we also don't have genius bars or appointments :(

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012

Don't believe that crap. My first macbook HD failed just outside the 1 yr warranty. Recently, my Air's screen failed. However, it did take a small fall, so while I don't blame faulty manufacturing, things do breakdown. You have to accept the risk involved if you choose this particular laptop.

In its base form, it will last you more than 3 years easily.

I am babying this rMBP like you would not believe. I don't even open/shut the lid needlessly when I'm at home. :)

Dyno-Mike

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Did you get LG or Sammy? I got a Sammy. (cross fingers and toes)

I originally had an LG and it was perfect to start with. Then the problems I mentioned started and it was replaced with a Samsung display which has its own share of problems, like backlight bleed and yellowish whites.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
It will not last 4 years, it cant even handle its own OS right now, alt of stuttering and lag and poor fps in the UI animations and in a lot of apps, this with zero hardware fault

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Hello all.

1- And will it do the job and run programs like photoshop, autocad and other video programs with no problems even after 3 years?

2- I'm also concerned about the repairability. So if the rMBP passes the 1 year limited warranty with no problems, is it likely to fail after that? Because repairing it then would cost a fortune here.

1. The Retina MBP is in no way upgradable. You can't replace the ram, the HDD anything. I got a fully spec'ed MBP in 2010, and within a year had needed to upgrade it to keep it working. It's been about 2.5 now and I'm looking to upgrade when my Apple Care runs out.
Because Autodesk and Adobe's target audience is running these programs on big, upgradable desktop computers, there is little incentive to make the programs efficient, far more emphasis is placed on functionality. This is not a universal problem, Ive found AutoCAD is a very light program, 3DSMax on the other hand uses more and more resources every update.
I think you have to assess what you plan to be doing in 4 years, what are AfterEffect and PremierPro CS8 going to look like? What kind of computing power will they require. This is anybodies guess. For CS4 Master Collection, 2GB Ram was required. CS6 recommends 8GB...

2. Yes. In the past year and a half since my one year warrantee expired I've had every single component of my computer replaced. To clarify: At the 1 year mark, I had the same computer that apple shipped me originally. Since then, every piece has been swapped out, such that not a single part of the computer I have now is from my original one. Including the charger. The total cost (had I not had Apple Care) would be somewhere around $4000 almost twice what i paid for the stupid thing from the start.

TL,DR; Software changes so fast my computer sometimes struggles with newest versions of software. Upgrading ram and installing faster HDD's has helped mitigate this issue to a certain degree. Laptops are highly prone to failure, which only increases in truth after the one year warrantee is gone.

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Now I'm very worried after skier777's post and Iconfused, whether to get the rMBP or not!

Any more advises?

elchemor

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Abu Dhabi - UAE
i was using a late 2008 macbookpro5,1 for the last four years, and is still working like a charm, for the only reason of being a spoilt brat, i just purchased the new rMBP, had it with maxed out RAM and CPU, and got the smallest flash disk available since the disk IS upgradable, i thought i will be fine with just 256Gb now and in a year or two, higher capacity flash disks will be available at a much much lower price.
as for the RAM, i dont think i would be requiring more then 16GB anytime in the next 4~5 years from now, my old MBP was doing the job perfectly with just 8GB for the last 4 years.
khalid am based in UAE, and i would recommend you going for the 2.6Ghz 16GB of RAM it will cost you 2560 USD (with educational discount if you're a university student).

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
If you are a struggling college student, just buy a inexpensive PC for homework and research. No need for a rMBP, or a cMBP for that matter.

Unless you need the computing power for some SPECIFIC SOFTWARE (Auto CAD, Graphic intensive stuff, etc)

But for normal MS Office stuff, social network, online library research, an $500 PC will be just fine.

Buy a EXPENSIVE MBP when you graduate and have a JOB.

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
i was using a late 2008 macbookpro5,1 for the last four years, and is still working like a charm, for the only reason of being a spoilt brat, i just purchased the new rMBP, had it with maxed out RAM and CPU, and got the smallest flash disk available since the disk IS upgradable, i thought i will be fine with just 256Gb now and in a year or two, higher capacity flash disks will be available at a much much lower price.
as for the RAM, i dont think i would be requiring more then 16GB anytime in the next 4~5 years from now, my old MBP was doing the job perfectly with just 8GB for the last 4 years.
khalid am based in UAE, and i would recommend you going for the 2.6Ghz 16GB of RAM it will cost you 2560 USD (with educational discount if you're a university student).

I can't afford getting more than the base 15" rMBP to be honest. 8249Dhs ($2245) is the price WITH the education discount and that is already too much for me. Just thinking of the idea that the machine might fail after the warranty drives me crazy, and if that happens I'll commit suicide hahaha :D

Since retina displays are new to the MBP lineup, I'm thinking now of sticking with my PC until WWDC 2013 (Where Apple certainly will be updating MBP and MPA) and then all of the issues that the users are facing now should be fixed. Issues such as burnt holes in the screen, retention images on the screen, yellow-ish white colors and some heating problems that I read about. I don't want to have these problems after the warranty finishes, since I would need to replace huge parts in the machine and that would cost a lot of money.

elchemor

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Abu Dhabi - UAE
to be honest, i don't think there's anything more beautiful then a macbook air for a student ! it does the job perfectly, super light to carry, low entry price, and have the wow effect lol

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
If you are a struggling college student, just buy a inexpensive PC for homework and research. No need for a rMBP, or a cMBP for that matter.

Unless you need the computing power for some SPECIFIC SOFTWARE (Auto CAD, Graphic intensive stuff, etc)

But for normal MS Office stuff, social network, online library research, an $500 PC will be just fine.

Buy a EXPENSIVE MBP when you graduate and have a JOB.

For now I have the money to buy a rMBP and still have some good cash to save for the future, I don't want to spend all of my money on a $3500 maxed out machine for example. So if the base rMBP would last some years without major problems I wouldn't be struggling at all.

I just thought that I'm buying a new laptop each 2 years for like $1000. So why not buying a $2200 one that would last like 4 years or even more?

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
I'm usually a big fan of extended warranties on large purchases personally. Add the fact that the Retina line is more or less very cutting edge with regards to tech and a first year product; I would say it's cheap insurance in that case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.