Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 5 screen click down

• Rock Solid

Votes: 184 65.2%
  • Top Right corner

Votes: 28 9.9%
  • Top Left corner

Votes: 25 8.9%
  • Bottom Right corner

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Bottom Left corner

Votes: 35 12.4%

• Total voters
S

syd430

Anyone know if I would have better luck getting a new iPhone versus a warranty replacement/refurbished at a Verizon service center or do they replace iPhones with the white refurbished boxes?

Refurbs have a brand new casing and battery, as opposed to your current phone which has a used casing and battery.

Couple that with the fact that most other OEMs for phones, laptops, TV's etc will ask you to actually hand your item in so they can repair it over a couple of weeks, I'd say you're getting a pretty good deal.

Your current phone is used. Why do you deserve a brand new phone just because it requires repair?

If your BMW developed a fault 9 months in are you going to go back to BMW and ask them to give you a brand new car off the showroom?

Just go and get a refurb and be grateful that Apple arn't making you hand it in for a 2-4 week repair like every other OEM.

Again, the refurbs are in some aspects newer than your current phone. I've gone through 2 refurbs for iphone 4 and another 2 for my iphone 5. Each one was identical to brand new, it's impossible to tell the difference.

Also refurbs are not inferior in quality or have higher fault rates. They they are made to the exact same standard as a new phone. If you got 2 bad refurbs in a row then the same could of happened when getting 2 new phones.

Honestly, look at my post history, I complain about every a lot aspects about iPhones. Complaining about getting a refurb is a bit much though and I see it all the time here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
Refurbs have a brand new casing and battery, as opposed to your current phone which has a used casing and battery.

Couple that with the fact that most other OEMs for phones, laptops, TV's etc will ask you to actually hand your item in so they can repair it over a couple of weeks, I'd say you're getting a pretty good deal.

Your current phone is used. Why do you deserve a brand new phone just because it requires repair?

If your BMW developed a fault 9 months in are you going to go back to BMW and ask them to give you a brand new car off the showroom?

Just go and get a refurb and be grateful that Apple arn't making you hand it in for a 2-4 week repair like every other OEM.

Again, the refurbs are in some aspects newer than your current phone. I've gone through 2 refurbs for iphone 4 and another 2 for my iphone 5. Each one was identical to brand new, it's impossible to tell the difference.

Also refurbs are not inferior in quality or have higher fault rates. They they are made to the exact same standard as a new phone. If you got 2 bad refurbs in a row then the same could of happened when getting 2 new phones.

Honestly, look at my post history, I complain about every a lot aspects about iPhones. Complaining about getting a refurb is a bit much though and I see it all the time here.

I don't feel that I should get a new phone...I just have the impression, especially after I just got a far inferior refurbished phone, that replacement phones are less than production phones. Appreciate your post, but didn't really answer my question. I was just wondering if Verizon has the tendency to replace a faulty phone with a factory sealed phone...thats all. I don't feel I showed any type of entitlement. I am rather greatful Apple handles issues the way they do.

Also, if there was a clear factory defect on a BMW and it couldn't be fixed, ie the screen click couldn't be fixed, the car would be traded in. If Apple would have fixed my first iPhone's screen click I wouldn't be posting, but instead they replaced it with something worse.

S

syd430

I don't feel that I should get a new phone...I just have the impression, especially after I just got a far inferior refurbished phone, that replacement phones are less than production phones. Appreciate your post, but didn't really answer my question. I was just wondering if Verizon has the tendency to replace a faulty phone with a factory sealed phone...thats all. I don't feel I showed any type of entitlement. I am rather greatful Apple handles issues the way they do.

Also, if there was a clear factory defect on a BMW and it couldn't be fixed, ie the screen click couldn't be fixed, the car would be traded in. If Apple would have fixed my first iPhone's screen click I wouldn't be posting, but instead they replaced it with something worse.

AFIK it's not possible to get a brand new retail box anywhere, including going directly to the carrier. All replacements are in a white box which may or may not be a brand new unit. The store clerk also doesn't know it's a new unit or refurb. The only exception is if you do a return an swap within 14 days.

Your first replacement might have also been brand new, which is actually more plausible if it came with a fault right out of the box.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
AFIK it's not possible to get a brand new retail box anywhere, including going directly to the carrier. All replacements are in a white box which may or may not be a brand new unit. The store clerk also doesn't know it's a new unit or refurb. The only exception is if you do a return an swap within 14 days.

Thanks! I will just hope the refurb I get is a little better than the one I got yesterday.

biglew

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
I think it's the sleep wake button, the same rattling noise was on the 4s also...

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I think it's the sleep wake button, the same rattling noise was on the 4s also...

It's not a rattle, it's a click, you can actually see the screen click down in to place.

No problems since getting my replacement, it's been rock solid.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I have a day 1 iPhone 5 that has developed this problem. The top left corner pops. The sleep/wake button also seems to be having trouble now. When I push it, sometimes the display will go on and off quickly—or it just won't do anything at all. But it's pretty random. Sometimes when I hold in on the corner with medium pressure where it pops, the sleep/wake problem will happen over and over, but once it pops in it will sometimes stop for a while. It's pretty annoying that there is no Apple Store near the University of Missouri. Guess I'll have to go to KC or STL. Between this and the image retention on my Retina MacBook Pro and iPad 2 I'm not a very happy camper!

Chalhoub

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
Same problem

I have the same problem, but i live in Hungary and we have no Genius Bar here. Can they repair or replace it at an official Apple service? I bought it on 10th December, and it clicks on the top right side of the screen.

Iphone5savvy

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
I had this same problem just recently.
I tried to ignore it but it's really annoying and it just got worse. When you press it with some pressure it'll somehow flatten and the popping sound will disappear. But only for a while. Went to apple last Jan1 and now I have a replacement. They looked at my phone, commended how I placed my phone's screen protectors (front and back) then gave me a new
(Out of the box) unit. Thanks to iCloud my phone looks like my old one.

----------

I have the same problem, but i live in Hungary and we have no Genius Bar here. Can they repair or replace it at an official Apple service? I bought it on 10th December, and it clicks on the top right side of the screen.

Actually I think you can call the Apple hotline or you nearest Apple retailer there in your area. Tell them the problem. You should have a new replacement phone if that's the case.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I originally voted no but a few days ago the right side the of my phone clicks like the screen is lifting up or something because I push it down and it will stop for a few seconds and then start clicking again. It's actually loud. I've never dropped it or anything and haven't had any problems at all with it so I'm not looking forward to going to apple to get a new one.

Had it since release btw

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Maybe this is happening because your iPhone is bent. The one I noticed clicking was the one that was bent out of the box

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Rock Solid for me, however this is my 3rd IP5, the others had major hardware issues, one had not LTE, the other had poor WiFi, Apple diagnosed and replaced asap.

hofnar

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I'm on my third iPhone 5. My first started clicking after about 5 months. Then my second started after 2 months. All were in the lower left hand corner.

Honestly I have no idea what's wrong, maybe it's just me. None were ever dropped.

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
I'm on my third iPhone 5. My first started clicking after about 5 months. Then my second started after 2 months. All were in the lower left hand corner.

Honestly I have no idea what's wrong, maybe it's just me. None were ever dropped.

I'm the exact same. This is iPhone 5 number 3 now and the same problem has just resurfaced, 2 months after this replacement. Don't even know what to do anymore I am so annoyed. What use is another replacement if it will most likely turn out to be the same rubbish again?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
if anything pushing it down is temporarily adhering it...keyword temporarily.

Adhering? I don't quite understand this phenomenon. Is the clicking sound from the screen not set into the aluminium backing correctly? There is no glue or adhering here, it can easily be taken out and reseated.

if1988

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
I have the same Problem. My iPhone clicks and squeaks on the right side.

I called the Apple Support yesterday evening. They said I have to send a Video of the problem to them.
But the employee said that he doesn't hear it in my video. But I hear it. I feel a bit paranoid now :D

Do you hear it????

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9hywov5tzcho60/Video 13.08.13 17 46 19.mov

Also the gap between the Aluminium the employee doesn't (wanted) to see.

Picture:
nupa6egu.jpg

He changed it on Goodwill.

I think the squeaking is because of the gap.

I don't unterstand why he doesn't see and hear anything??!!

I hope you hear something???

Linneahurrdurr

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2013
Its like this on mine too, and today i dropped it and the screen fell of. But i was lucky enough to be able to but it back on..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.