Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It's barely been a week with the Nexus 4 and I'm finding the battery life disappointing as well. It just doesn't make any sense why a larger capacity battery, quad core, lcd screen (where colors don't matter), running the latest software, and on hspa+ can't beat, much less match, the battery life I got on my gsm galaxy nexus. It makes zero sense. I think it's the software too and Google needs to come out with an update to address this. Where is the promised 15+ hour talk time? I'm using my Nexus 4 more or less the same way and amount as my GN. But when I come home the nexus 4 is at a much lower battery.

If I'm not mistaken the GN when first released had battery issues. As did the 4S. I'll be patient but the fix needs to definitely happen. I trust Google to act faster than I trust apple to give users more freedom and screen size options.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I read somewhere that Google changed it and now they only say 10 hours...

Can you confirm? Because that's shameful. Apple shameful (like when they pulled the description of Maps being the best, or something from their website)...

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
N4 suffers from wakelock issues from many XDA threads so far.

It is sad though, as even the GS3 from samsung spanks it easily in battery life department, and the performance even on touchwiz is good not to want a little more smoother nexus device for bad battery trade off.

Google always tends to make the nexus crappy from some angle. Whether it is pentile screens, meh cameras, battery life, software, blah blah.

Time to just let Moto be their dedicated nexus maker. Problem solved. Tight integration of software and hardware = mind blowing nexus.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Looks like typical android battery life....not sure why this is surprising.

Typical? Maybe. But Androids can get amazing battery life. Ask Note II users, ask Maxx users.

And please ask my old GSM Galaxy Nexus. I got these sorts of hours on a regular basis:

2Fxbb.png

fAtxk.png

And, again, that's precisely why I'm perplexed. My GSM Galaxy Nexus should, by every measure, have worse battery life than the Nexus 4.

The main variable is the software. And Google needs to fix it, as they did when the GN first came out, and as Apple did when the 4S came out (and with their MacBooks).

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Can you confirm? Because that's shameful. Apple shameful (like when they pulled the description of Maps being the best, or something from their website)...

Most sites say 15 hours as that is what was originally reported by Google. But I remember seeing it for sure. I think in the quick start guide or some pdf about the phone somewhere, but I can't remember where.

However, I did find one site that said 10 hours. I'll go back and look at the little booklet that came with my nexus 4 when I get home. But I definitely remember seeing it somewhere.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm reading the culprit of the battery drain may be the earpiece buzzing, which is constantly on.

My device has the ear piece buzzing. I may get it exchanged.

LG :\

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I'm reading the culprit of the battery drain may be the earpiece buzzing, which is constantly on.

My device has the ear piece buzzing. I may get it exchanged.

LG :\

Do it. I did and it is not as crystal clear as other phones but much better than my first N4. Only took a few days because they set aside devices for exchanges so you won't have to wait those long shipping times.

----------

Here's to Android 5.0 improving battery life. Wouldn't be too hard to imagine.

Yes please. Do you hear us Google? Declare war on battery life just like you did on lag.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Do it. I did and it is not as crystal clear as other phones but much better than my first N4. Only took a few days because they set aside devices for exchanges so you won't have to wait those long shipping times.

Juiceman, how is call quality in your old and new device? I'm noticing people are having trouble hearing me on the other end. I'm not sure if it's my SIM card because I did cut it down myself, or the device...

Did you exchange purely because of the ear piece buzz? Also, is the earpiece buzz the culprit to the battery drain? I'm reading that it might be. You know anymore about that? In other words, is the battery better on your new device without the earpiece buzz bug?

Thanks.

----------

FYI, "Project Road Runner" the supposed fight against battery was proven to be a rumor. Androidandme reported on it when the Nexus 4 rumors were abundant.

Having said that, I hope they are working on something. A Nexus 4 by Motorola might help.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
[/COLOR]FYI, "Project Road Runner" the supposed fight against battery was proven to be a rumor. Androidandme reported on it when the Nexus 4 rumors were abundant.

Having said that, I hope they are working on something. A Nexus 4 by Motorola might help.

Why does everything have to be a Project? I don't see why they can't just implement better power-management software.

And yes, I really want to see Google put that Motorola acquisition to good use and make their own device.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Why does everything have to be a Project? I don't see why they can't just implement better power-management software.

And yes, I really want to see Google put that Motorola acquisition to good use and make their own device.

Agreed.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Juiceman, how is call quality in your old and new device? I'm noticing people are having trouble hearing me on the other end. I'm not sure if it's my SIM card because I did cut it down myself, or the device...

Did you exchange purely because of the ear piece buzz? Also, is the earpiece buzz the culprit to the battery drain? I'm reading that it might be. You know anymore about that? In other words, is the battery better on your new device without the earpiece buzz bug?

Thanks.

----------

FYI, "Project Road Runner" the supposed fight against battery was proven to be a rumor. Androidandme reported on it when the Nexus 4 rumors were abundant.

No one has mentioned that they could not hear me on the other end on either device.

Yes I exchanged just for the earpiece problem. I haven't noticed much difference in battery life on the new unit so I don't think the ear buzz was the issue at least for me. Granted I just started using my N4 again. I was using my iphone 5 for the last few days before returning it. I'll keep an eye out but personally I don't think it's the earpiece.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
No one has mentioned that they could not hear me on the other end on either device.

Yes I exchanged just for the earpiece problem. I haven't noticed much difference in battery life on the new unit so I don't think the ear buzz was the issue at least for me. Granted I just started using my N4 again. I was using my iphone 5 for the last few days before returning it. I'll keep an eye out but personally I don't think it's the earpiece.

Would appreciate an update. Thanks, Juice.

Hm, I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have cut down my own SIM. That might be the cause of my call quality issues. Will visit Tmobile soon...

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Time to just let Moto be their dedicated nexus maker. Problem solved. Tight integration of software and hardware = mind blowing nexus.

Not going to happen. Google knows what they are doing.

They can't make a "perfect" Nexus device with the best camera and best processors and best screens. They need to keep their "partners" (Samsung/HTC/Sony/LG) etc with reason to keep on using Android or else they will stray to Windows Phone with Microsoft much more.

And in the USA, there is the problem with carrier support. As Verizon users have learned from the Galaxy Nexus lagging behind in software updates. Carriers want control of almost every phone they officially support (with the exception of the iPhone). Carriers in the USA usually get their way.

Of course T-mobile is officially subsidizing the Nexus 4 phone but honestly, they are charging $199 for a phone that's $350. Their subsidy is only $150 for a 2 year contract, much less than their other high end phones like the S2 or Note 2 subsidy.

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
You are responsible for your settings. If you want a phone that babysits you, get the iphone. I have given you a path, if you choose to ignore it, that is your prerogative.

This is the whole reason I just SOLD my iPhone 4S, because I was having to constantly turn stuff off! Not to mention when someone decides it's a good idea to notify them when you move in 'Find my Friends' so you have a stupid Geofence activated constantly, great feature Apple :rolleyes:

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Every phone should have a battery like the note2. Its ridiculously awesome. Smokes my old iphone I can stream whole football games and its hardly touched. No matter how hard I push it I cant use it all in a day

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Every phone should have a battery like the note2. Its ridiculously awesome. Smokes my old iphone I can stream whole football games and its hardly touched. No matter how hard I push it I cant use it all in a day

I would imagine it also takes longer than other phones to fully recharge it. Is that the case?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.