Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY

Attachments

• softbank.jpg
    softbank.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 224

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Will this work - buddy will unlock for me!?

Just had a brilliant idea, my buddy is now contract free but he has had an iPhone 4 for 2 years. I told him how to unlock legit via att's web form BUT why can't I just buy a Iphone 4 online ATT version and get him to unlock it for me too.

Rules say his is allowed 5 unlocks.

Will this work??? Does the phone actually have to be used with his account?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Just had a brilliant idea, my buddy is now contract free but he has had an iPhone 4 for 2 years. I told him how to unlock legit via att's web form BUT why can't I just buy a Iphone 4 online ATT version and get him to unlock it for me too.

Just pay $5-$10 lot simpler allot more reliable.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

Plus, with a resale phone, you run the risk the seller "bolted" on a contract, which means AT&T won't unlock it anyway.

Sine Qua Non

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2011
I'm amazed at how cheap and easy this is now.

I purchased an unlock on eBay from Unlock Fusion for $2.13. The next day I deactivated with SAM and got the "Congratulations" screen on iTunes.

SenseiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Any site worth of trust for swisscom switzerland?

See around and you'll find the service.

anyone unlocked on Softbank Japan?

Please recommend a service.

Thanks

See around and you'll find the service.

Good luck.

As far as I have read, there is no one able to do IMEI unlocks on that carrier's phones.
I see this plea for a SoftBank unlock over and over.

Lucky, you see this post because we unlocked Japan Softbank (even testing Japan au KDDI too) successfully.

IMEI Number : 012837003738011
Serial Number : C38GJD4FDPMW
Model : IPHONE 4 8GB WHITE
First Activation Date : Jun, 9 2012 10:55:55
Last Activation Date : Nov, 22 2012 12:27:56
Current Carrier : Non Softbank JPN
Firmware Version : 5.1.1
Initial Activation : Japan SoftBank.
Applied Activation : China Unicom.
Next Tether : China Unicom.
Unlock Date : Nov, 22 2012 12:27:56
Lock Status : Unlocked
---------------------------------------------------

It doesn't have to be. You can ask AT&T to unlock or find cheap factory unlock service which mostly done in 24-hours, no question asked but an IMEI.

frogg320

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2007
I was really glad to find this thread, so I wanted to share my experience. I got all geared up to buy the $3.19 eBay unlock when I noticed #1: "Call AT&T."

I called, got a person straight away, gave my real name and told them I bought the phone used, and bam! Unlocked within 2 minutes. Couldn't be happier.

AndyMc

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
New York, Ivano-Frankivsk
You are offering so many different websites and eBay offers that if I would need to unlock my iPhone I will not know whom I can trust.
Agree? there are many legit services that offer official unlock but all depends on price. As to eBay? well there are many true offers but there are much more scam.
As for me, I think I found something really cheap and not scam. If you need to unlock Swiss carrier or Korean or Australian or Norway and many more you can use this cheapest IMEI unlocking service you ever find on the web.
If you use it tell me about your experience.

NXNeko

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
I dont get why people would pay for an unlock when you can just call the carrier... For my i4 -AT&T- (x3), 4S -AT&T-, and cousins 5 -Tmobile (Germany) all I did was call the carrier. The catch is the phone cannot be activated, otherwise I didnt even have to beg all I did was go "Is it possible to do an IMEI unlock on a phone thats no longer on the network?" then you give them your IMEI and they send it through their system to apple, wait for a response from apple and its over... You wouldn't imagine how many of the places are just employees with access to this system going for an easy buck.

Sans, for carriers unwilling to perform IMEI unlocks well...thats their own issue and you could take it up with a manager at support, but if the phones not activated on the network there should be no reason for them NOT to send the unlock request to apple for you.

jasonmdiaz

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
Using a iPhone 5 I tried unlockfusion on ebay and it actually unlocked before the hour passed, plus it was only $3.50. more then satisfied.

Though to skip restoring your phone for reactivation for the unlocking process
do the following (works on iPhone 5):

1. Get the latest Redsn0w download
2. Have your phone plugged in with your sim card out
3. Open Redsn0w, press extras, "Even More", "Deactivate"
4. Restart your phone, open itunes and wait
5. Put your sim back in and itunes should activate it and give you the
big "your iphone is now unlocked"

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Just got my iPhone 5 unlocked with unlockfusion.

Now I need to figure out how I'm going to do a PAYG Orange SIM in France.

Either get one from a friend and cut it down myself? Or wait until I land in Paris and attempt to buy one in the Airport? UGH!

unlucky777

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
For those out of the loop, it's become fairly easy to factory unlock an iPhone using official/safe methods. The only reason you should pay is for convenience or your phone does not meet the requirements to be factory unlocked and you don't have the perseverance to call your phone carrier a million times until you get a rep who'll do it for you.

First, check if your provider offers the unlock @ http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937

Then, check if you fulfill all the requirements for the unlock from your perspective carrier. They will most likely be similar to ATT https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/ (things like contractual commitments)

If everything is good, you can either proceed to unlock your phone from the second link provided (ATT users) or you can save a lot of time by calling your carrier. If they try to BS you, tell them you meet all the requirements to unlocking your phone and to stop wasting your time.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Has anyone used Cutyoursim.com?

I know they are overpriced but I used them for a Fido/Rogers unlock, heard about them from Dev Team blog....but its been 3 weeks and my unlock is still "submitted for unlocking". I know it takes a long time and these things are not guaranteed, but I kinda want to hear success stories with them, so I know I am not being scammed, lol....

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
some of us paid less then $5 and got or unlock with in a few hours.. Cutyoursim.com was one of the 1st out there I heard good and bad it shouldn't take 3 weeks.

hworld

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Personal experience

I have tried many different methods for unlocking iphones, for my friends, family members and such. I have learn that the ebay unlocking doesn't work after few weeks, people tell me that it could be the network carriers who lock the phones that's not properly unlocked, and it could be permanent, so be CAREFUL. As for those positive ebay feedback, they are mostly from users who unlocked their phone for the first week, such as me. So i learned to choose the more professional methods, like the ones you find on google.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I have tried many different methods for unlocking iphones, for my friends, family members and such. I have learn that the ebay unlocking doesn't work after few weeks, people tell me that it could be the network carriers who lock the phones that's not properly unlocked, and it could be permanent, so be CAREFUL. As for those positive ebay feedback, they are mostly from users who unlocked their phone for the first week, such as me. So i learned to choose the more professional methods, like the ones you find on google.

Every one of these unlocks is done in exactly the same manner, both from carriers and grey market vendors.

Your device IMEI is submitted to the Apple whitelist unlock server database.
Next time your iPhone calls home, the unlock is applied.

dadude77

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
I bought an iphone that is locked to ATT, was going to purcahse one of these to unlock it. I just looked at unlock fusion and they say "it may not work if the iphone is not activated, please make sure its activated through itunes. I do not have an ATT sim card, (hence me wanting to unlock it) and the seller had reset the phone. What is my move?

YellowNimbus

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Georgia, USA
I bought an iphone that is locked to ATT, was going to purcahse one of these to unlock it. I just looked at unlock fusion and they say "it may not work if the iphone is not activated, please make sure its activated through itunes. I do not have an ATT sim card, (hence me wanting to unlock it) and the seller had reset the phone. What is my move?

First question: Do you have any other sim card than ATT? Most official unlocking sites say the following:

* Send the IMEI to our server
* Wait until we return the answer "activated" or "unlocked"
* Then, install the lastest version of iTunes (or have the latest installed)
* Make sure iPhone is running the latest iOS version
* Connect iPhone to iTunes with an "unauthorized" (not valid) simcard
* Wait until iTunes detects the iPhone
* Disconnect iPhone and reconnect after 10 seconds
* Your iPhone is now UNLOCKED

If you don't mind, message me, I think we can help you out.
Here are our updated instructions: updated iPhone unlocking instructions

Last edited:

dadude77

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
I have a sim card other than ATT but its a belgian full size one, (so i dont think fits in a 4s) I don't want to cut it down :S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.