Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
OP, do the right thing and go to the Apple Store. Be honest and go from there. You'll either get a free replacement, pay the out of warranty cost, or pay $150 (AC+ & 1 replacement). And of course you don't have to do anything if you don't like what they offer.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Try reenacting the exact same way you fell on your mini, only this time put your mini in your bag the opposite way...it should bend back to normal. :)

Lmao funniest thing ever.

Try very light pressure to bend it back. If that was a full size you might have bounced off it and broke a arm or a leg.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
If you are within 30 days of your purchase, call apple and buy applecare+.

Wait a couple of days and then take it to a store for replacement.

You do not have to have the device inspected to buy applecare+ online in the first 30 days.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
OP, I feel for ya, good luck in determining what to do, but at the very least it still works

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I thought flexible screen technology wasn't due for a couple of years. :)

Joking aside, good to see you're doing the right thing.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
You slipped and fell OP. It's an unfortunate accident but not one Apple should have to pay for through trickery. Resorting to dishonesty is a sign of a character flaw; too bad there's a lot of that going around these days.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Listen do this and all will be well,

Phone applecare and say you received the ipad in a bent state and you have just opened the product. Your tremendously upset by the whole experience and how can they rectify... They will say they will either pick up the ipad and replace or they will ask you to go the store route. The store route will be good because you can go in there and say you have spoke to applecare (they will have this logged) and they said to go to store for a swap out. I honestly think you have a really high chance of turning this around bro;)

AC

Beyond the fraud aspect, Apple knows when that iPad was activated for the first time, and it wasn't a couple of days ago.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
So yea long story short: It was raining, and i slipped on the stairs and fell/sat on my iPad mini (ipad mini was in my messenger bag), now it's bent. I have no idea what do now.

I'm surprised it still works perfectly fine and it's even more ergonomically comfortable to hold LOL.

But all jokes aside, what should i do? Do you think the apple store will take sympathy and swap me a new one? I'm a student so i'm trying to avoid spending money but if i have to i guess it's $99 applecare + $50?

Solution: sell it on eBay as the iPad Mini Collectors Edition. Buy a new one with the $

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Listen do this and all will be well,

Phone applecare and say you received the ipad in a bent state and you have just opened the product. Your tremendously upset by the whole experience and how can they rectify... They will say they will either pick up the ipad and replace or they will ask you to go the store route. The store route will be good because you can go in there and say you have spoke to applecare (they will have this logged) and they said to go to store for a swap out. I honestly think you have a really high chance of turning this around bro;)

AC

This is a joke, right?

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Told the truth but no sympathy from the Genius Bar, oh well... They didn't have any replacement units at the store anyway. If I want to get repaired I have to pay 219 + tax.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Told the truth but no sympathy from the Genius Bar, oh well... They didn't have any replacement units at the store anyway. If I want to get repaired I have to pay 219 + tax.

If you can get more than $110 for your broken ipad on CL or ebay... you may be better off just buying a brand new one (assuming you have 16gb, wifi)

I hope you have better luck with your new ipad.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Assuming its the 16GB one, $320-$219 is $101. I bet you can sell it for more than $101.

Not sure what you're calculating... If you take it in to get it replaced, you don't get to keep the old one. You turn your dead one in to them, and get a replacement one. If you don't have one to turn in, you don't get a replacement one.

Clint

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

Try to sell it. You may get a decent amount and then you could buy another. 219 when a new one is 329? Is it 16gb?

How are they going to repair it. Bend it back? Lol.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Try to sell it. You may get a decent amount and then you could buy another. 219 when a new one is 329? Is it 16gb?

How are they going to repair it. Bend it back? Lol.

They were gonna replace it with a refurbished one I think. No way am I gonna pay 219 for a replacement model, might as well get a new one at 329. This thing is still fully functional.

How much do you guys think a bent ipad mini can go for on Craigslist? It's a 16 gb wifi model.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
They were gonna replace it with a refurbished one I think. No way am I gonna pay 219 for a replacement model, might as well get a new one at 329. This thing is still fully functional.

How much do you guys think a bent ipad mini can go for on Craigslist? It's a 16 gb wifi model.
You do realize that an apple refurb is really just a new iPad... it might have a used mainboard, but it would have a new case, and battery.
Try going to a different genius. Don't be an *******, be nice.

They're people too. Don't lie. Be honest.
Don't, however, offer up information unless they ask you. Obviously tell the whole truth but don't go off on a story, and look for sympathy.

That's the best way to work with geniuses, imho - I've been pretty successful getting a Macbook's LCD that was 2 years out of warrenty replaced, a 3GS's battery replaced, a 4's back glass replaced, and my iPhone 5 replaced... free...
:p

Apple's CS is good, try a different genius/store if you don't get what you're looking for.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
You do realize that an apple refurb is really just a new iPad... it might have a used mainboard, but it would have a new case, and battery.
Try going to a different genius. Don't be an *******, be nice.

They're people too. Don't lie. Be honest.
Don't, however, offer up information unless they ask you. Obviously tell the whole truth but don't go off on a story, and look for sympathy.

That's the best way to work with geniuses, imho - I've been pretty successful getting a Macbook's LCD that was 2 years out of warrenty replaced, a 3GS's battery replaced, a 4's back glass replaced, and my iPhone 5 replaced... free...
:p

Apple's CS is good, try a different genius/store if you don't get what you're looking for.

I wasn't being an ***** about anything, I wasn't demanding for a free replacement or anything. And I do know what a refurbished product is, I'm using one right now because my iPhone 5 had battery problems. But paying 219 for one isn't that cost efficient for me. If I can sell my ipad mini online for a decent price, I can minimize my cost.

I wasnt exactly looking for sympathy, i just went straight to the point and Said i slipped and fell kn my ipad mini. It's really hit or miss with apple geniuses, all these years of going to the apple genius, I've probably only met one guy who was willing to replace my out-of-warranty iPhone 4 hassle free. Maybe Canadian apple geniuses are different. You should give me more tips on how to talk to apple geniuses! :)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Not sure what you're calculating... If you take it in to get it replaced, you don't get to keep the old one. You turn your dead one in to them, and get a replacement one. If you don't have one to turn in, you don't get a replacement one.

The 16GB Mini is $320.

Jeff will be out of pocket for $219 if Apple replaces it; Apple values his bent Mini at $101. Jeff is essentially buying a new mini for $219.

Jeff just has to sell his Mini for more than $101 for his out of pocket cost to be less than if Apple replaces it.

Hell, I'll give him $150 for it, which would mean that it only costs Jeff $170 to buy a new Mini.

Obviously the numbers adjust slightly because of tax.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.