Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Apple probably already has the design for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S now.

Skipped the iPhone 5 because the iPhone 4 still works.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Only a die hard Apple fan would be happy with another "s" model. This is nonsense in the face of current competition.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Apple probably already has the design for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S now.

Skipped the iPhone 5 because the iPhone 4 still works.

Unless all your doing is texting and talking on the phone the iPhone 5 is a huge upgrade from the iPhone 4. You can see the difference with those 2.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
How is everyone so surprised? Apple is doing what Intel does with a tick-tock strategy.

Annual release, with a main model and then an update. Works out perfectly with the standard 2 year contracts people are on.

They might shift the release date around during the year a bit, and I could relaly see the phones staying at a mid-Summer release just to make space for the iPad releases for the Christmas season...

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Just recently bought a used 4S (well, practically brand new, only 6 months old) so way too early for a 5S. My early 2008 iMac is in need of replacing so the phone is going to have to wait :D

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
For me Apple has def lost their edge if they produce a 5s, the 5 look and size def looks dated in comparison to the S3, I won't buy anything Samsung now, and thats my own personal choice, but have to admit the S3 phone looks very good and the bigger screen def is much more impressive, I was set to get an iPhone 5 but was very disappointed with it, so am holding on to my iPhone 4 for now.

I think they have forgotten the whole SJ design something amazing concept and are just going for the bucks..this is wringing out as much as possible from die hard Apple fans but I think they may push their fans one 6 month development period to many with a simple 5s upgrade.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I don't *need* an iPhone 5 right now. My 4 is working perfectly fine. Makes me wonder if I should just hold out till the 5S

Question is: when the rumored 5S goes on sale, will they offer the unlocked version from day 1?

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm just making incorrect assumptions, but I always thought the "S" in the iPhone 4S stood for "Siri". Why would any future models, midway cycle upgrades or otherwise, need the "S" as part of its moniker?

There was a 3GS after the 3G where the S stood for speed. It has become a marker for an improved model that looks the same as the previous gen.

I don't like this faster release cycle because I haven't even had the time to get a proper iPhone 5 yet. I still have an open case with Apple after my first one had dust under the screen; the second one had a horrible interlacing screen and was dented; the third also had an interlacing screen and a camera lens with at least 50 particles of dust; the forth was a new retail box from China it but can't connect to LTE or 3G for more than a minute and defaults to Edge or GPRS, the camera can't turn on and has pink lines or huge rectangle covering the preview area, and has a screen that's pushed up from underneath creating very uneven backlighting.

I don't even feel like I have a phone that's mine yet since I know I have to get it replaced. I just asked for a refund because something is wrong if I can't get a normal phone after 4 tries so we'll see what the support tech says.

mraviation94

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
wow.....

Holy ****, it's another "S"!!!!! People need to realize that the S models are just the "leftover" of the previous model. So nothing is going to change except maybe a few internal things.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm not sure I understand how 12 months is too slow when most people take out 2 year contracts when they buy these things.

That's true... a PERSON only buys a new phone once every 2 years.

But PEOPLE buy cell phones every single day.

You can pick any day on the calendar... and there are millions of people ready to upgrade.

In other words.... someone would be ready to buy any new phone Apple offered at any given time.

iRumored

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
Original: June 29, 2007
iPhone 3G: July 11, 2008
iPhone 3GS: June 19, 2009
iPhone 4: June 24, 2010
iPhone 4S: October 14, 2011
iPhone 5: September 21, 201

About every year. 15 months being the largest gap. If the "5S" comes out a year'ish from now, it wouldn't be a surprise.. I'm only interested in generation gaps (i.e., iPhone 4 to iPhone 5) The "S" line, if I may, has never offered anything worthwhile IMHO.. Siri was added in the 4S and to be honest, she isn't all that helpful.. Why would you hold down the home button, wait for Siri, ask it about the weather, wait for the question to be sent via cellular data, and then a response sent back via cellular data, when you could slide to unlock and drag down from the top in .5 seconds?

Here's the problem.. Too many people want the "exclusivity" of the "latest and greatest".. They would rather spend $600 out of contract to get a phone with a talking voice when they had a perfectly adequate iPhone 4. Doesn't make much sense to me..

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
What Apple really needs is a next, next big thing... something new to sell to everyone that is not a new version (or size) of an existing "big thing". This model of pulling sales forward by rolling out to new markets can only go so far. Eventually, Apple collides with the limitation of launching today in all countries. A next big thing or two can shore up the revenue growth. But what will that next big thing(s) be?

Absolutely agree. While Apple has a solid line of products, aside from their pro-line neglect, there hasn't been anything that has wow'ed me since the iPhone release in 2007. The iPad, while great, was more of the same in terms of technology. I'm hoping, but doubting, Apple puts some focus and love into the Mac Pro and display line.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
The Nexus 4 disappointed (no LTE), so my next phone is looking like the iPhone 5S.

The Nexus 4 has LTE, you just need to activate it. It can unofficially support T-Mobile's future LTE network here in the USA and some Canadian carriers.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

About every year. 15 months being the largest gap. If the "5S" comes out a year'ish from now, it wouldn't be a surprise.. I'm only interested in generation gaps (i.e., iPhone 4 to iPhone 5) The "S" line, if I may, has never offered anything worthwhile IMHO.. Siri was added in the 4S and to be honest, she isn't all that helpful.. Why would you hold down the home button, wait for Siri, ask it about the weather, wait for the question to be sent via cellular data, and then a response sent back via cellular data, when you could slide to unlock and drag down from the top in .5 seconds?

Here's the problem.. Too many people want the "exclusivity" of the "latest and greatest".. They would rather spend $600 out of contract to get a phone with a talking voice when they had a perfectly adequate iPhone 4. Doesn't make much sense to me..

The 4S has a superior camera (comparable to iPhone 5) and the A5 chip, which so far looks to be quite future-proof with it being included in the ipad mini and ipod touch. It runs iOS 6 really well, unlike the A4, which lagged even on iOS 5. An in real world use, it's almost comparable to the A6 (iPhone 5).
It's leaps and bounds better than the 4 in my opinion, so much so that I found no added benefit to the 5 over the 4S - not a fan of the new design.

The same went with the 3GS. It was a lot faster, can even offer iOS 6 well (3 iOS updates). Whilst the 3G couldn't even support iOS 4 multitasking (2 iOS updates above).

For me, the S line is where it's at. the main line seems like a prototype for the exterior design.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Hate to say it out loud... but this may be the first upgrade cycle I skip.

Wow, that was refreshing to say out loud.

Unless the new one has some incredible must-have feature, I think I'm good for change. A CPU and camera bump just isn't going to be enough to get me to swap out. I've done it every time since the 3GS which was my first iPhone, but I honestly yearn for nothing now.

I wouldn't have replaced my iPad 3 with a 4 either, save for the fact that I wanted to standardize the cables we're using in the house.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
For me Apple has def lost their edge if they produce a 5s, the 5 look and size def looks dated in comparison to the S3, I won't buy anything Samsung now, and thats my own personal choice, but have to admit the S3 phone looks very good and the bigger screen def is much more impressive, I was set to get an iPhone 5 but was very disappointed with it, so am holding on to my iPhone 4 for now.

I think they have forgotten the whole SJ design something amazing concept and are just going for the bucks..this is wringing out as much as possible from die hard Apple fans but I think they may push their fans one 6 month development period to many with a simple 5s upgrade.

So Steve had nothing do with the iPhone 5 design or the fact that it doesn't have a big a** screen? If Steve was still around Apple would have a 5" plastic phone?

----------

Hate to say it out loud... but this may be the first upgrade cycle I skip.

Wow, that was refreshing to say out loud.

Unless the new one has some incredible must-have feature, I think I'm good for change. A CPU and camera bump just isn't going to be enough to get me to swap out. I've done it every time since the 3GS which was my first iPhone, but I honestly yearn for nothing now.

I wouldn't have replaced my iPad 3 with a 4 either, save for the fact that I wanted to standardize the cables we're using in the house.

Honestly I don't get this whole need to upgrade every time a new phone comes out. Seems kind of ridiculous to me if the current phone a person has working just fine. Unless there's some major new tech in the phone what's the point?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Great, the image in the OP already has the finished scraped off on the left side...

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Absolutely agree. While Apple has a solid line of products, aside from their pro-line neglect, there hasn't been anything that has wow'ed me since the iPhone release in 2007. The iPad, while great, was more of the same in terms of technology. I'm hoping, but doubting, Apple puts some focus and love into the Mac Pro and display line.

Right. I look at the pace of "next big things" like this:
2001 iPod
2007 iPhone (6 yrs later)
2010 iPad (3 years later)
2012 (needed something new this year... and not something new that is only a new version of an old something or a new size of an old something).
2013 (really needs something new in 2013)
2014 (probably need another something new in 2014 or maybe early 2015).

These "next big things" need to be on the scale of impact that accompanied the big three above. Iteration or size changes are not on that scale. For example, rolling out an iPad 4 and an iPad Mini is not creating the demand for an iPad 4 AND an iPad Mini. Rolling out a new "next big thing" would be something that everyone would really want... not this vs. that.

Apple's revenue slope is such that the pace of innovation (of "next big things") must speed up. IMO, Apple is buying time by rolling out old "big things" (iterations) to more markets sooner than later (as they used to do). This will only work until a new iteration or size "next big thing" is launched to all markets on the same day.

A few more legs to the table are needed ASAP. The old legs are feeling the stress of trying to keep it all going up, up, up.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I was all set to buy the 5, but then Apple updated iTunes so you needed an Intel Mac (now on it's way in the form of a new 27" iMac) but looking at this I might try and get some more life out of my 3Gs and wait for the 5s :)

iRumored

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
The 4S has a superior camera (comparable to iPhone 5) and the A5 chip, which so far looks to be quite future-proof with it being included in the ipad mini and ipod touch. It runs iOS 6 really well, unlike the A4, which lagged even on iOS 5. An in real world use, it's almost comparable to the A6 (iPhone 5).
It's leaps and bounds better than the 4 in my opinion, so much so that I found no added benefit to the 5 over the 4S - not a fan of the new design.

The same went with the 3GS. It was a lot faster, can even offer iOS 6 well (3 iOS updates). Whilst the 3G couldn't even support iOS 4 multitasking (2 iOS updates above).

For me, the S line is where it's at. the main line seems like a prototype for the exterior design.

If you are all about technology, then I say go ahead and get every new iPhone that comes out. But for me, I don't see the point in it. Without a doubt, the iPhone 5 is faster than the 4S, and the 4S is faster than the 4. The question is, to what extent? Look at the speed tests, both visual and technical when opening apps/web browsing via WiFi/etc.. It's so minimal. The day that the 4S came out, when compared to the 4 at the time, it felt the same type of "difference" to me in the real-world application aspect as the 4S and the 5 now. With that being said, I think that sticking with a line, whichever one you want, will make you happy.. Be it the S line, or the Main line. The iPhone 4 is still a nice phone.

In the realm of electronics, things become outdated so frequently that you just have to accept it. If it's not the same line of phone, it's another manufacturer.. I've said this on these forums before, and I'll say it again.. All people really need to do is go to their cell phone carrier retail store, spend a good amount of time in there looking at the phones, and pick what is best for you.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011

You sound like a S hater!!

iPhone 4-beta with hardware problems
iPhone 4S-no hardware problems
iPhone 5-beta with problems
iPhone 5S-no hardware problems

I think the S upgrades are always the ones to get

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.