Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Sounds better than the Korean way

That's just racist

----------

Forget the stealing argument. How about the ethics of sitting on a company's board while formulating your own competitive product for the company you run? Forget swipes and icons. What about strategic decision-making? Long-term vision? Discussions with carrier partners? You know, insider information that a Board is privy to? You think Schmidt wouldn't have been tossed out on his ear had the Board been able to peer into a crystal ball and see the Android of 2012?

Not that Schmidt has proven he could be trusted by a wife. Er, I mean, partner.

Weasel is as weasel does.

Schmidt didn't sneak in, he was INVITED. Get it?

slattery69

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Paid Shill
Forget the stealing argument. How about the ethics of sitting on a company's board while formulating your own competitive product for the company you run? Forget swipes and icons. What about strategic decision-making? Long-term vision? Discussions with carrier partners? You know, insider information that a Board is privy to? You think Schmidt wouldn't have been tossed out on his ear had the Board been able to peer into a crystal ball and see the Android of 2012?

Not that Schmidt has proven he could be trusted by a wife. Er, I mean, partner.

or you can reverse it round how about the ethics of inviting the competition to sit on the board knowing they've bought a mobile software company and intend to release a phone OS.
Or another way to look at it what sort of an idiot would invite a the competition who would compete against them on to the board and show them all there coming plans.

see how easy it is to just twist things to fit any senario you want

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Adult way, hmm... Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock?
Or duel?
If they choose duel, let them make the guns themselves. Apple's one vs Google's 'product'.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Nope. Just factual.

http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/3028/samsung-power-corruption-and-lies/

http://www.drudge.com/news/163518/samsung-suppressing-reporting-illegal

There is plenty of info online about South Korean - particularly Samsung - business culture if you care to investigate.

His girlfriend/fiancee/wife-to-be also said "yes." Get it?

For both examples, it talks about Samsung, as far as I know, it is a corporation run by a family. To say it's the ''Korean'' way is offensive and false. I for one, am not corrupted and I do not bribe people.

He should've said the Samsung way and a whole population.

You have so much hate on Microsoft/Google, it is impossible to have a decent discussion with you.

kdarling

macrumors P6
There is plenty of info online about South Korean - particularly Samsung - business culture if you care to investigate.

There are all sorts of businesses around the world, with different cultural norms. What seems terrible in one place, is acceptable in another.

Heck, we can dig up dirt on anyone. It's not like Steve Jobs was never investigated for messing with stock options, or Apple for having secret agreements with other companies about luring employees, or for denying apps, or isn't into tax avoidance, or a bunch of other things that some places see as normal, but others do not.

His girlfriend/fiancee/wife-to-be also said "yes." Get it?

Not sure that any Jobs fan should be bringing up the whole area of personal relationship problems, especially commitment issues.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This is EXACTLY what you are doing.

Uh ? How did I move goalposts ? You said, and I quote :

There is nothing out there that says Google offered Apple turn-by-turn directions at any price.

I provided a source that said that Google did offer Apple turn-by-turn directions at a price Apple wasn't willing to pay, thus refuting your argument. You then moved the goalposts to "But it wasn't what Apple wanted!". Of course it wasn't, hence why they refused.

But your initial claim has been proven false, you don't get to be right by moving the goalposts or accusing others of moving the goalposts when we can quote you verbatim and show you your initial stance is not what you are now claiming it is.

Waste of my time replying to you at this point.

Renzatic

Suspended

This is a complete and total waste of time, considering you contribute nothing to these arguments by the same tired spiel that's been disproven time and time again over the last year or so.

But what proof do you have that Schmidt stole anything from Apple? Android? The OS that's superficially similar to iOS but considerably different underneath? This supposed delay you keep mentioning where Google allegedly spent a year retooling Android in an attempt to catch up to Apple? Comeon. That's circumstantial conjecture at best.

The simple fact is Schmidt didn't use his position on the board of directors to steal anything. If he did, I'm sure Steve Subtly Jobs and the rest of the Apple higher ups would've called him on it time and time again. Instead, they did nothing. Not a thing. Never even a single solitary peep.

This Schmidt steals BS is all in your head. Another stupid argument for you to use in your stupid and pointless crusade against Google.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Here is the full quote:

I read that as him saying Tim and Larry are successors to Steve and himself and it feels like he is equating himself to Steve Jobs. He could have simply said "I think both Tim and Larry have an understanding of this state model. When they and their teams meet, they have just a long list of things to talk about." and that would be enough to make his point. Just my 2 cents.

Well, you obviously want to read things that aren't there. Eric is not comparing himself to Steve in that quote, not in that full quote, not in any quote I've read.

Why the need to make Eric into some arrogant guy ? Why the need to make him say things he didn't ?

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Not sure that any Jobs fan should be bringing up the whole area of personal relationship problems, especially commitment issues.

I'm no fan of Jobs' morality. Had I been a competitor, I certainly wouldn't have invited him onto my board.

But the lack of Jobs' morals doesn't mean that Schmidt isn't a weasel.

----------

You have so much hate on Microsoft/Google, it is impossible to have a decent discussion with you.

I hate Microsoft for good reason.

I use lots of Google's products. I respect them and in general have considered myself a fan. But I fear them. And you should too.

Renzatic

Suspended
I know from firsthand experience that Google+ tried smothering me in my sleep once.

Gmail was much more up front about it's attempts to kill me. Fortunately, I was too quick for it, and was able to knock the knife out of its hand before it got too close.

Wave knocked up my girlfriend.

Yes. Google products are truly something to be feared.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Copying other's successes is not an adult behaviour.

So you're saying Apple is behaving poorly in this case :

iOS-6-Maps-app-youre-literally-not-going-to-find-things.jpg

Or are you equating Patent infringement to childish behavior ? In which case, what do you say when Apple infringed Klausner patents for Visual Voice Mail ? Creative Labs' patents for navigating music folders on a portable device ? Nokia's/Samsung's/Motorola's patents for use of cellular technology ? Cisco's iPhone trademark ?

Because patent infringement is not childish, nor is it clear cut, nor is it copying/stealing/imitating/lifting. It's patent infringement. It happens to anyone and everyone, intentional or not.

Renzatic

Suspended
Or are you equating Patent infringement to childish behavior ? In which case, what do you say when Apple infringed Klausner patents for Visual Voice Mail ? Creative Labs' patents for navigating music folders on a portable device ? Nokia's/Samsung's/Motorola's patents for use of cellular technology ? Cisco's iPhone trademark ?

Nevermind the fact that were the situation reversed, certain people here (WHO SHALL GO UNNAMED YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) would be calling Google copycats and patent infringers for making their own maps app. Must be great, being able to talk out of both sides of your mouth on an issue.

Apple made a maps app first, and now look at Google, copying them as usual. :rolleyes::eek:;):apple:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Nevermind the fact that were the situation reversed, certain people here (WHO SHALL GO UNNAMED YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) would be calling Google copycats and patent infringers for making their own maps app. Must be great, being able to talk out of both sides of your mouth on an issue.

Apple made a maps app first, and now look at Google, copying them as usual. :rolleyes::eek:;):apple:

I guess Hotmail is a blatant rip off of iTools... err.. wait... .Mac... no... MobileMe... oh... iCloud I mean. ;)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
1, 2, 3, 4 - I declare a thumb war.

Thunderdome

----------

*chug*

Doesn't make it any less true though.

Yes and no. apple licensed it from the developer. Google and its OEMs are being accused to copying without license

----------

Are you talking about the maps contract which reportedly had a year left on it when iOS 6 came out?

Misquote of the article. It actually said Apple knew a year before the contract was ending that they weren't going to renew. Not that iOS Maps came out with a year left in the contract

Think about it. If they cut the contract a year early they would have to pay anyway, either to get out of it or as a penalty for not upholding it. Why do that went they could wait another year to release a hopefully even better Maps.

It even fits with the kick off of the rumors that Apple was definitely about to release their maps, which started ramping up right after iOS 5 came out, about a year before. Folks would have been less likely to suggest such a thing unless they knew the contract was about to end.

----------

Did Google bother to patent their "Notification center" idea?

Was it actually their idea. Could they have licensed from the same developer?

Renzatic

Suspended
I guess Hotmail is a blatant rip off of iTools... err.. wait... .Mac... no... MobileMe... oh... iCloud I mean. ;)

Don't you see? Apple didn't rip off these products at all! They took them, and made them work.

Remember this basic formula.

If Apple did something first, then everyone else rips them off.

If everyone else did something first, then Apple improved it.

CoolSpot

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Apple had a contract with Google. Contract ended. Apple didn't renew.

I think Google thought that Apple would 'come to their senses' - figure out that Maps and YouTube were needed, and renew at the 11th hour. Google bet all their chips that this would happen. It didn't. Google had to scramble, and is now blaming Apple for Google not having a backup plan.

Google has the best products, but they had a snobby attitude that Apple would continue to use their products. It bit them in the arse when Apple decided to compete with Google.

Now Eric Schmidt is trying to save face by spinning this.

I haven't been following the storyline closely, but I don't remember any Google execs getting fired over Apple dropping their maps app. :D

Apple has **** on their face and is going to come crawling back to the best software.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
No. Apple is the bully here. They're the ones trying to get every last scrape of Google off of the iPhone, and are unwilling to play nice when it comes to negotiation. Apple is letting their petty argument hurt the user experience on the iPhone. Google has wanted to collaborate from the beginning.

If that were true they would be **** canning google apps off the store etc

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I'll pass on any having any part or dealings with google if at all possible. Google is where my pragmatic streak ends

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.