Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
So I'll be getting an iPhone 5 next week to replace my current iPhone 4. I've been using PowerSupport screen protector on the latter since the beginning, but have been contemplating not putting anything on the front glass this time around. (I'll be putting the phone into iSkin Claro though).

I keep hearing people say that the front glass won't scratch blahblah, but is that really the case? I usually never put my phone into the pocket with other things, so it's phone only. Is it safe without a screen protector that way? Or will there eventually appear small scuffs etc on the screen?

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The oleo phobic coating will show scratches. Use a screen protector if you want your screen to be immaculate or don't if you don't mind some hairline scratches.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not only will the olephobic coating show scratches it will wear off with time. Its a coating sitting on the glass not impregnated into the glass.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
I've owned many iPod touches, iPads, and now an iPhone - never ever scratched the screen on any of them even slightly. They're all in mint condition.

If you take care of your iPhone and aren't a klutz like seemingly most people nowadays, you definitely don't need a screen protector. But then again, if you want to protect against that one slip-up where your iPhone skids along tarmac for five metres, be my guest and put a screen protector on.

Me, I live on the edge, and one of the benefits of that is I don't have to use my phone through a sheet of sticky tape.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
I dont use one as much for the protection as I do the feel of my finger on the screen. The Power Support USA anti-glare HD protector (the ones sold at the Apple Store) is the best I have ever seen...I have tried cheap ones from eBay, Zagg and many more and I always come back to this one....it just feels great.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
i use the zagg hd screen protector. it is amazing. You can barely tell it's on the screen. no tacky feeling to the screen either, like with earlier generations of the zagg protectors. Highly recommended. I use it so that I don't have to worry about accidental damage, which can occur even if you are super careful.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
I like to use a Best Skins Ever screen on my iPhone. I don't bother putting anything on my iPods or iPads though. The phone spends the majority of it's time in my pocket so I'm a little more worried about the screen on it.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I put a protector on mine and it has already taken some minor hits in-place of the actual screen.

haigie

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Glasgow
Zagg for me, standard InvisibleShield on all my iPhones & iPad. The HD ones are harder to get in the UK but I'd pay the extra for when my current one is ready to be replaced.

25 year warranty - you can't go wrong there. It's definitely not as nice as the bare screen but if you're concerned about marks on the screen, Zagg is the best I've come across - easy to apply (just be patient), no bubbles!

katai

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
I just started using PS anti-glare because I have OCD for wiping smudges everyday.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I hate screen protectors. I think they look bad, and all but the glass ones feel bad. The 5 is my fourth iPhone (owned 3Gs, 4, 4S and 5). I've never used a protector on any of them. Through all of them, I've had a total of one scratch on my screen, which was on my 4, and was approximately 2mm long and barely visible, and only in the right light. Even my wife's phones (which, with the exception of her 3Gs were all my previous phones...so my 4 and now my old 4S), only have had one or two hairline scratches, and she throws her phone in her purse with her keys all the time.

Keep keys and coins out of the pocket your phone is in, and it's a non-issue. even after they get through a year of my wife's less than careful treatment, I've gotten good prices for the phones used after two years of use. I got $200 for our 16 GB 4 this past fall when I upgraded to the 5, and that was just using the eBay instant sale.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
I've never used protectors, try them once for my iPhone 4 two years ago and didnt like it because of the feel of the screen, it felt like an orange peal to me. Anyways, gave Spigen Ultra Crystal Clear a try and I love it ! It doesn't feel like it has a screen protector at all and since I'm half OCD I feel better that I'm protected now. I applied it using the "hinge method" and I actually did a really good job :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.