Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kokoman90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Hello,

I want to buy the Iphone 5 unlocked Verizon model from best buy for full price ($700).
I have called to several Bestbuy branches, which they all told me that the Iphone will be locked untill it will get activated with my Verizon number. The thing is, that I am not from US (My friend is now at US), I dont have Verizon number and I dont want to. As far as I know, all Verizon Iphones coming unlocked, sim free already. So why they keep telling me it will be locked untill I will put my number in? I cant just take the phone, put my sim card and thats it? What should I do?

Thanks!

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
Buy from the Apple store or Apple's website? Is there a particular reason why you need to buy it from Best Buy since the price will be the same?

kokoman90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Yes, sorry I have forgotten to mention that I need the 1429 model only (Not the 1428). In the Apple store, I can order online only 1428 model, and it seems none of them have the Unlocked Iphones in stock right now.
I would be really happy if any of them had in stock (Orlando or New-york). Seems they all gone for now =/

EDIT: I have just called Bestbuy again, what they saying is I need to activate it or upgrade it with my number even if I buy it for full price.. Cant I just take the phone in the box, open it, and put my simcard?
What does it mean that it will be "locked to verizon"?!

Last edited:

kokoman90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
because its not an unlocked iphone model.. its a verizon model with the SIM unlocked due to the fcc requiring them.. It has to be activated on the intended carrier first ( verizon ) then you can use it.

But I thought all the Verizon phones coming unlocked already.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
because its not an unlocked iphone model.. its a verizon model with the SIM unlocked due to the fcc requiring them.. It has to be activated on the intended carrier first ( verizon ) then you can use it.

I dont think it needs to be activated at all with verizon.
It will activate fine with any GSM sim since all verizon iphone 5's are GSM unlocked.
But like mentioned above I would get one from an Apple store full price.
Its also cheaper there and now stocks are looking good at apple stores.
Just tell the rep you want to buy a verizon model full price.
Not the GSM unlocked version.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
But I thought all the Verizon phones coming unlocked already.

They're unlocked for GSM networks but locked to Verizon at the same time. It has to be activated on Verizon before it can then be used as an unlocked GSM phone on another network because it's not a truly and fully factory unlocked phone.

Only option is to wait till an Apple store has fully unlocked models in stock.

kokoman90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
I can see 2 different answers here:

1: I need first to activate it with Verizon in order to get it to work with the GSM sim

2: I can just put my GSM sim card and it will work.

In both cases, the Iphone will work on 4gGSM network, or it's unlocked to only 3G GSM?
Can anyone please tell me the correct answer?
In my country I am going to use GSM nano sim card. Do I need to activate it first with Verizon or not?

And I wish I could buy it from Apple store. I didn't find anyone that have in stock around Orlando or in Newyork

Last edited:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I can see 2 different answers here:

1: I need first to activate it with Verizon in order to get it to work with the GSM sim

2: I can just put my GSM sim card and it will work.

In both cases, the Iphone will work on 4gGSM network, or it's unlocked to only 3G GSM?
Can anyone please tell me the correct answer?
In my country I am going to use GSM nano sim card. Do I need to activate it first with Verizon or not?

And I wish I could buy it from Apple store. I didn't find anyone that have in stock around Orlando or in Newyork

as pointed at in a similar thread a few minutes ago.. you dont need to activate on verizon. A user confirmed this.. so disregard my other posts ;)

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16432976/

kokoman90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
That's great!

So I will just go to the store, ask for the phone, even if they will tell me it's locked to Verizon and wont work? It will still work 100% regardless what everyone else saying?

Btw, will it work on 4G GSM? - According to Verizon chat representative, he says that the phone is unlocked for only 3G GSM networks, as for 4G- Only Verizon.

kokoman90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Yes it's the same, that's why I need the CDMA 1429 model.
Thanks everyone for the help!

I really don't understand why Bestbuy and Verizon can't make all of this clear.

EDIT: There is any chance that the model in Best Buy is really locked to Verizon, and the model that in Apple store is the model I need to buy? (That's what Best Buy told me, that I need to buy it from the Apple store)

Last edited:

carrera4s

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Hi everybody!
I'm actually in the same exact situation as you kokoman90. I too live in Europe and am interested in buying a verizon iphone 5 from bestbuy. They sell it even without any contract and that is great. The real doubt that remains is whether or not the 4G part is locked or not. Can anybody help on this?

kokoman90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Hi everybody!
I'm actually in the same exact situation as you kokoman90. I too live in Europe and am interested in buying a verizon iphone 5 from bestbuy. They sell it even without any contract and that is great. The real doubt that remains is whether or not the 4G part is locked or not. Can anybody help on this?

Well I have made some reading and from what I can tell they will be unlocked for the GSM 4G. I really hope that's correct and the Verizon guy I have talked with is wrong.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Well I have made some reading and from what I can tell they will be unlocked for the GSM 4G. I really hope that's correct and the Verizon guy I have talked with is wrong.

If you mean HSPA+ then yes, the Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked for HSPA+ worldwide. HSPA+ is more like 3.5G in terms of speed -- faster than traditional 3G GSM but usually slower than LTE (unless the LTE network is really bogged down).

Several carriers (at least in the U.S.) have abused the term 4G to the point that it's basically a useless term. Some (like AT&T and T-Mobile) mean HSPA+ when they say 4G and others (like Verizon) mean LTE. There is a distinct speed difference between LTE and HSPA+.

carrera4s

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Applejuiced is right, that's the only sure way to know...unfortunately I don't know yet of anybody that successfully did it. I've just read of a guy from Rome whoi got a Verizon iphone and that works great for calls. Still nothing about 4G connectivity since that LTE is in full development in the old continent.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
Hello,

I want to buy the Iphone 5 unlocked Verizon model from best buy for full price ($700).
I have called to several Bestbuy branches, which they all told me that the Iphone will be locked untill it will get activated with my Verizon number. The thing is, that I am not from US (My friend is now at US), I dont have Verizon number and I dont want to. As far as I know, all Verizon Iphones coming unlocked, sim free already. So why they keep telling me it will be locked untill I will put my number in? I cant just take the phone, put my sim card and thats it? What should I do?

Thanks!

I'll sell you mine. 32 GB Black one. Used for 1 month and half.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Hello,

Thanks!

At least you got that answer. I tried doing that and I was told they don't sell iPhones without contracts in store. You would have to buy them online. I said screw it and bought one directly from Apple. I suggest you do this since they have a great window to return the phone and you can buy unlocked

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.