Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rci2950

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Hello everyone

Newbie from Halifax, Nova Scotia

I have a couple questions before I terf my apple TV and get a Boxee box

There use to be a load of free podcasts, they seem to have disappeared. For example christmas music. What happened to classic christmas music. Why is there only modern things listed like rap, techno and other horse/cow excrement when I search for christmas music? I have had an apple TV for the last 3 years (Big old silver one) Am i getting squeezed to buy a new one?

I am actually starting to lean toward Boxee because of the free content it has.

Why is apple lagging behind in this?

A person shouldn't have to hack their system software to be able to get content on it and on the same note if i wanted to listen to christmas music during the holidays I also shouldn't have to pay $2 per song for old songs from the 50s and 60s when all i want is an add supported radio stream...

severely disappointed.

I have been an apple fan for a long time currently own a mac mini, ipod classic, ipod touch, ipod shuffle and an apple TV. I even have a vintage rainbow apple sticker on the back window of my VW.

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I just took a look at Adult Contemporary radio stations in iTunes and quickly found 2 Christmas music stations. Also, you can find one through some other internet source copy the URL and paste it into an already existing iTunes radio station (do it through Get Info: Summary) and add the station to the playlist.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Hello everyone

Newbie from Halifax, Nova Scotia

I have a couple questions before I terf my apple TV and get a Boxee box

There use to be a load of free podcasts, they seem to have disappeared. For example christmas music. What happened to classic christmas music. Why is there only modern things listed like rap, techno and other horse/cow excrement when I search for christmas music? I have had an apple TV for the last 3 years (Big old silver one) Am i getting squeezed to buy a new one?

I am actually starting to lean toward Boxee because of the free content it has.

Why is apple lagging behind in this?

A person shouldn't have to hack their system software to be able to get content on it and on the same note if i wanted to listen to christmas music during the holidays I also shouldn't have to pay $2 per song for old songs from the 50s and 60s when all i want is an add supported radio stream...

severely disappointed.

I have been an apple fan for a long time currently own a mac mini, ipod classic, ipod touch, ipod shuffle and an apple TV. I even have a vintage rainbow apple sticker on the back window of my VW.

jailbreak it....

rci2950

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I just tried what you said but there is no "get info" option or button..

Thanks for the help though.

Heading out to best buy to get a Boxee. I don't have the patience to jailbreak a product and Its too frustrating to play the "handicapped unless your paying" game.

rci2950

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
apple should really pay attention to posts like these. I see another posted today about why someone bought something else. I only bought my apple TV because of the name. I didn't realize there were better products out there. Now that I have, I am very disappointed in what apple is doing. It makes me wonder if they are wanting to kill it like sony did to their Betamax and the minidisc. Apple could own this part of the market. But they choose to nickel and dime the customer. So with that being said.

May the apple TV go the way of the dodo bird...

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I only bought my apple TV because of the name.
Maybe that's the source of the problem. You bought something because of name and not features you feel are critical to your experience. For me, it provides exactly what I need. Good luck with your BB.

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
Its also a 3 year old product and you still dont seem to know how to use it. :rolleyes:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Seems like every time someone is critical of an Apple product the forumites come on and say "Well that's not how you're supposed to do it! Duh!"

But to be fair, sometimes they are right.

Apple TV has a few key strengths. I can only speak for the Canadian market though:

1. It is a great little Netflix player.

2. It is very handy to be able to start playing something on my iPhone and beam it to the TV via AirPlay. (YouTube videos, music, photos etc.)

3. If you purchase TV shows, movies, music from iTunes, the Apple TV is a great way to watch that content. Either stream it from your Mac or the cloud. Rentals too.

Beyond that, it doesn't do a whole lot else well. Yes, it can do YouTube, but that interface is tedious. Yes, it can do internet radio, but it's kind of clunky. And so on.

I tried a Boxee Box, by the way, and returned it. It was a great concept but the fact that it was essentially just a big web browser on my TV (the videos didn't even go full-screen unitl I "moused" over and clicked a Full Screen button!) made it really not user friendly enough for my needs.

As for internet radio, since I do listen to that often, I have a Sonos box hidden away in my kitchen, it is wonderful for this purpose.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
It doesn't just play content that you purchased from iTunes. It plays anything in your iTunes library--at least the current one does--including DVD & Blu Ray rips, which is what my library is full of.

Netflix, Hulu+, Youtube, subscription services for NHL, NBA and MLB, photo gallery and a handful of other video services that I don't use...all in addition to the iTunes content, which is the main attraction.

Some of these other products and jailbreaks offer gimmicky things like the ability to play Angry Birds, see the weather or browse the web. They don't however play all of your iTunes content from your Mac or PC seamlessly and they certainly don't play purchases stored in iCloud. They also don't offer AirPlay integration with iOS and Macs.

Depending on what's important to you, other products may have something more to offer, but I don't see it. Maybe I'm missing something, but my Apple TV's are by far my most used Apple products.

rci2950

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
It doesn't just play content that you purchased from iTunes. It plays anything in your iTunes library--at least the current one does--including DVD & Blu Ray rips, which is what my library is full of.

Netflix, Hulu+, Youtube, subscription services for NHL, NBA and MLB, photo gallery and a handful of other video services that I don't use...all in addition to the iTunes content, which is the main attraction.

Some of these other products and jailbreaks offer gimmicky things like the ability to play Angry Birds, see the weather or browse the web. They don't however play all of your iTunes content from your Mac or PC seamlessly and they certainly don't play purchases stored in iCloud. They also don't offer AirPlay integration with iOS and Macs.

Depending on what's important to you, other products may have something more to offer, but I don't see it. Maybe I'm missing something, but my Apple TV's are by far my most used Apple products.

I tried jailbreaking it a while back using the thumb drive method. cant remember the name of the program but it is the one that makes the green apple come on the screen. Only problem is it keeps jamming when i try to stream something. it will play files downloaded to my mac mini no problem but I am getting angered with having to do that. I had high hopes i would be able to someday get a streaming news source or stream other things that i can get on my computer screen

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
I had the "where the heck is the Christmas music?!" problem today, too, and found four stations in Radio (NOT Podcasts), under the Adult Contemporary category (didn't bother to check any others): try

Advent Christmas Classics
Happy Christmas Radio
Mostwonderfultimeoftheyear.com
Seasons & Celebrations

That's only one small problem solved, but maybe it will help you make peace with your Apple TV!

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I love my Apple TV, I really do but only because of AirPlay.
For me the best home entertainment device is the sony google tv box or Logitech revue (google tv).
Pandora,Netflix,twitter, web browser,picture in picture so you can browse the web and still watch TV. It has way more features.
It's a dual core device so it handles multitasking very well. It also connects to your set top box and you can type on the keyboard what you want to watch and it finds it for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.