Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZakBrandonJake

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Hi there,

My iPhone 5 32GB is BENT from the volume button, I don't wear tight fitted jeans, or legging, I can't figure out how this has happened, I certainly don't put it in my back pocket, I am quite unhappy with a bend in my phone.. as many of you guys would be.

I have had my iPhone 5 swapped out 2 times before due to defects with the camera and screen, I will be taking this to the apple store in the future to see what my options are, I have read threads saying apple will void my warranty and claim its cosmetic damage to the phone, this is why I am quite reluctant to taking it in and making a point of it.

I noticed when I received this replacement there is a tiny BLUE stuck pixel on the screen which I tried to fix myself with coloured videos. I am not sure wether to go in and forget about the bend as it is hard to see/find from normal inspection and make a point of the blue pixel to get a replacement. Or to just but applecare+ and try to get it swapped via express replacement option.

I hate having a bent iPhone and I can't see how its my fault, I love my iPhone and wouldn't bend it on purpose, or attempt to harm it. I just want a flawless product without paying £150.

Thanks very much,

please give your suggestions?

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Your ahead of the curve there bud!...bendy phones are not due out until next year.

Bend me, shape me: Flexible phones 'out by 2013'

_64440277_samsung.jpg

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I still refuse to believe that there is such a thing as bentgate. I put a slight amount of force on my 5 to see if it seems at all flimsy or bendable but seems sturdy to me… guess you all just have bad phones.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
You sit here and wait for all the fools that will say this phone is not able to bend.

fools who say it doesnt bend? no one denies that aluminum bends..or that select people have gotten one in the box slightly bent... people deny that it will bend magically with out you knowing

MistaGavin

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
I still refuse to believe that there is such a thing as bentgate. I put a slight amount of force on my 5 to see if it seems at all flimsy or bendable but seems sturdy to me… guess you all just have bad phones.

Betcha I can bend it.

Anyways OP: If it were me, call Apple and arrange for a replacement of the phone because of the stuck pixel. They may want you to restore, but it probably won't do anything. I wouldn't even mention the bent phone, because it's unrelated to the pixel issue.

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Opinions?

Excessive force was applied at some point in time in the iPhones life, whether you remember it or not.

ZakBrandonJake

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Betcha I can bend it.

Anyways OP: If it were me, call Apple and arrange for a replacement of the phone because of the stick pixel. They may want you to restore, but it probably won't do anything. I wouldn't even mention the bent phone.

I am going into a genius bar on Friday I think do you think its a good idea to just point out the dead pixel or go directly with apple care?

Thanks.

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
Yeah try to get it swapped out for a different issue. Worked for me in the past

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
On all these "bent iPhone 5" threads I see the same thing. People are defending the 5, saying "it didn't bend on its own!!"

It doesn't matter if it bent on it's own, or if some sort of unrecognized pressure bent it. THE PHONE BENDS. NO BUENO!

My 4S is rock solid in the "bendability" department. Maybe soft aluminum was a bad choice. This might hinder which phone I get when my 4S contract is up.

bradkb

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
Or to just but applecare+ and try to get it swapped via express replacement option.

I hate having a bent iPhone and I can't see how its my fault, I love my iPhone and wouldn't bend it on purpose, or attempt to harm it. I just want a flawless product without paying £150.

If you are talking in pounds sterling, then you are in the UK? if so... Applecare+ is not available in the UK.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
what should I do?

1. Don't call it bendgate.

2. Be more careful with your stuff. It didn't just bend by itself.

3. Take it to an Apple store and see if they will replace it. (free or for a fee)

4. Enjoy your new limited edition curved iPhone.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
1. Don't call it bendgate.

2. Be more careful with your stuff. It didn't just bend by itself.

3. Take it to an Apple store and see if they will replace it. (free or for a fee)

4. Enjoy your new limited edition curved iPhone.

There someone on here with a bent iPad mini. Makes a great pair!

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
I am going into a genius bar on Friday I think do you think its a good idea to just point out the dead pixel or go directly with apple care?

Thanks.

St it on a table, bend it flat. Take to apple, tell them dead pixel. Get new phone.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I wasn't able to view the picture from my phone, so I don't know how bad this particular one is, but.....
I wonder if some of the very slightly bent phones came that way, not 100% square/straight. Once I started reading all about these bent phones, I put mine on a glass table and I have to admit it is not perfectly flat, maybe a 0.5 mm space between the phone and glass in one corner. There is no detectable bend in the aluminum edge to my naked eye, and I NEVER would have noticed this unless I read all these posts. Maybe a lot are not perfectly manufactured and have ever so slight imperfections. I would be willing to bet my car is not perfectly symmetrical. Just a thought. I still don't believe my phone is bent, I think it probably came that way and I just noticed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.