Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elyquin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Savannah
I upgraded from iPad 1 to iPad 4 last week. Why doesn't Apple allow us to have a bluetooth mouse? Using the bluetooth keyboard and my finger is ok, but it is not that much different from having a mouse. I would just have less smug marks on the screen and better control of highlighting things. I don't like a stylus, and a mouse is better ergonomically than raising your arm to use my finger as a pseudo-mouse.

Technology is progressing. Let the Tablets take over laptops if the consumer doesn't need a laptop. I don't use the keyboard most of the time, but I carry it with the iPad most of the time. I just need the mouse for times when I want to use the keyboard.

I am not buying an Apple laptop just for the mouse so please Apple give us the mouse.

bpbatch

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2010
••this post has been deleted by the author***

Last edited:

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I upgraded from iPad 1 to iPad 4 last week. Why doesn't Apple allow us to have a bluetooth mouse? Using the bluetooth keyboard and my finger is ok, but it is not that much different from having a mouse. I would just have less smug marks on the screen and better control of highlighting things. I don't like a stylus, and a mouse is better ergonomically than raising your arm to use my finger as a pseudo-mouse.

Technology is progressing. Let the Tablets take over laptops if the consumer doesn't need a laptop. I don't use the keyboard most of the time, but I carry it with the iPad most of the time. I just need the mouse for times when I want to use the keyboard.

I am not buying an Apple laptop just for the mouse so please Apple give us the mouse.

I would agree that a mouse is helpful when using it with the bluetooth keyboard.

There is one option which will require you to jailbreak your ipad and it will allow you to install a bluetooth mouse program that will give you partial functionality of the mouse.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
I agree with the OP. A bluetooth mouse option would be great. I wouldn't use it that often, but it could be really helpful on occasion.

<waiting for the lame "just use a laptop" comments as if that wasn't considered>

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
How about a nice command line interface? Maybe a 3.5" floppy disk drive too. Yeah, thats exactly what the iPad needs.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Wow at some of the reactions here. OP wants to be able to use a mouse, even justified yourself and you still call him crazy.

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
Yes please

I've got a keyboard case for my iPad 3 and all I need now is a trackpad/mouse driver. When I'm not using my iPad as and iPad, I use it to remote control desktops and servers, and while I realize that there is no "cursor" on the normal iPad, it is required for Remote Desktop. The ability to have a blue-tooth mouse driver in these situations would make the iPad perfect.

Vendors don't include trackpads/track sticks on their keyboard cases because there is no native bluetooth driver.

I guess I could always spend another $1000 (over the cost of an ipad) and get a 13" retina laptop but that doesn't agree with my wallet.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Yeah, I'm sure Apple, the company who has done everything to get RID of the mouse (touch screen in lieu of stylus, and touchpad in lieu of mouse) is going to release a MOUSE to interface with their tablet, ahahahahahaha

I'm still crossing my fingers the next iPad has Blu-Ray. *rolling eyes*

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
The whole premise of the IOS operating system is touch...a mouse wouldn't even make any sense!...close you eyes and think about it for a second, it wouldn't work!...

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
A sensor on the iPad that can recognize and calculate eye movement and translate that as instruction sets back to the iPad would be pretty neat if it can become reality. It would not be a stylus killer but would complement it nicely.

That, and co-habilitation of devices that work in synch with each other, such as your iphone sending email/text/phone notifications to your "smartwatch", or your smartphone recognized you're in your vehicle and send data to your navigation system and bluetooth audio. Streamlined transparent transition between devices and the environment you're in.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012

I sold my MBA because I like the battery life of the iPad so much, but creating content is still a cluster**** in motion, using the limited screen keyboard. At least some arrow keys.... Please?

Give us an iPad Pro! With 'Finder' for all file management, mouse control, maybe even a 15" retina display, a USB port, and stereo speakers opposite each other in landscape mode. Then we'll have a true cordless desktop/laptop replacement worth it's salt.

Pretty please, with sprinkles on top?

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
To those who think the OP is crazy, riddle me this: why do bluetooth keyboards for the iPad exist?
Because typing on the iPad is a pain for anything other than a couple of sentences, compounded by the lack of cursor keys on the built-in virtual keyboard.
A mouse would be useful when typing longer documents. It is just another one of those things that will, for the foreseeble future, prevent the iPad from being close to a laptop substitute - which never was Apple's intent of course.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
I wouldn't mind a mouse option. I occasionally remote desktop to my work and it would make it so much easier. While I realize what the iPad is made for, having the option is always nice.

macfanrutler

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
NJ
Forget the mouse.

I want eye tracking and mind control.

It would be interesting to see how this would work with my lazy eye. The cursor would be all over the screen. O think I would throw my iPad across the room after about 30 seconds.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
OP ignore the ignorant remarks. There is no good reason why a mouse shouldn't be optional for an app developer to integrate. They have been allowed to write APIs for pressure sensitivity, so why not mouse function thats sandboxed as well; i.e. only works within apps that incorporate it. It would make office applications much easier to work with.

I have used a Magic Mouse with an ipad while jailbroken. It only makes sense in but a very few instances, but in those times it's a major improvement over touch (Pages).

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I agree if there are key boards then mouses should make an appearances. Personally, if I want to use either then I should just be using my MacBook Pro. Mouses just generally defeat the purpose of touch screen but I do agree if they make keyboards why not a mouse.

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich

You should sell your iPad and buy yourself a laptop. Problem solved.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I've got a keyboard case for my iPad 3 and all I need now is a trackpad/mouse driver. When I'm not using my iPad as and iPad, I use it to remote control desktops and servers, and while I realize that there is no "cursor" on the normal iPad, it is required for Remote Desktop. The ability to have a blue-tooth mouse driver in these situations would make the iPad perfect.

Vendors don't include trackpads/track sticks on their keyboard cases because there is no native bluetooth driver.

I guess I could always spend another $1000 (over the cost of an ipad) and get a 13" retina laptop but that doesn't agree with my wallet.

if you still have iOS 5.1.1 you can jailbreak it and install BTC Mouse and Trackpad. it allows you to pair a BT keyboard and a BT mouse at the same time. it's the ultimate laptop replacement setup

1) Jailbreak iPad
2) Install BTC Mouse and Trackpad
3) Buy Logitech Ultrathin BT Keyboard Cover or Kensington KeyFolio 2 (i prefer the latter)
4) Buy BT Mouse (both Microsoft and Logitech make decent ones)
Welcome to the world of a true post-PC device

let's face it, the only reason why apple doesn't allow cursor input for the iPad is because of how badly it would cannibalize the 13" Macbooks

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The reason Apple doesn't support mice on iPads is because that's a whole other level of interaction that would need to be added to iOS. It would please a fraction of a percent of users.

So it's just not smart on Apple's part. The times I need a mouse on my iPad are almost zero. When I have used it as a word processor, I could perhaps use a mouse. But I also know plenty of keyboard shortcuts that allow me to jump around, leaving just button-mashing as a need.

I'd rather iOS 7 support multiple accounts than a mouse. Hell, I'm still waiting for native Blu-ray support on Mac OS. I think we'll both be waiting for a looooooong time.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
A mouse doesn't make any sense on an iPad

A trackpad would make more sense, but even then there are problems with it.

Apple market the iPad as the future, remember the first iPad apps, people carrying the iPad everywhere, using it on a train, holding it on a motorbike, walking around your apartment.

An advert showing somebody sat at a desk with a mouse and keyboard ruins the entire image.

I understand the OP wants the mouse capability only for occasional use, but by allowing it Apple would be confusing their message.

Example, I know some people on here would LOVE a file system, people even jailbreak to get one. Now it could be argued that Apple give us a file system so the power users can use it. And the Nan's and Grandad's don't even need to know it's there.

But it would be there, and when they find it, the illusion of a simple touchscreen computer will dissapear for them, and it would just become another PC.

Apple needs to carry on showing restraint, because as tempting as it is to be everything to everyone, it really dilutes the message and impact.

Look at the Surface... it's not selling well because normal people don't know what it is.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I want a stylus like the s-pen on my Note 2.

I want to draw and take notes with a stylus.

You can use the stylus just like a mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.