Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I approve of adding more info to the lock screen, but this particular proposal seems too complicated.

It's a lock screen, not an alternate 'top-level' OS.

So...I appreciate what he's trying to do, but this seems like too much.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I approve of adding more info to the lock screen, but this particular proposal seems too complicated.

It's a lock screen, not an alternate 'top-level' OS.

So...I appreciate what he's trying to do, but this seems like too much.

This. I want some more lockscreen utility, but this is too far.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I like the idea of the lock screen cards where you can have different information show up at the top but the rest is far too contrived IMO.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I think the lock screen is fine as it is -- no need to complicate it. Apple stresses simplicity with respect to what they decide to integrate into their products - both on the hardware side and the software side. The lock screen serves two basic purposes:

1.) It serves as a standby to conserve battery life
2.) It serves as a way to prevent you from unintentionally pressing buttons, opening apps, or calling people while the phone is in your pocket.

I think with Jony Ive taking over Human UI/UX, there won't be any complicated changes to the lock screen like the author of the post in the link you provided suggests - Jony, more than anyone, perhaps, understands the importance of simplicity in user interfaces and the role it plays for Apple as a whole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.