Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dataz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
I just updated to iTunes 11 yesterday and I'm going crazy over here.

I'm having problems with compilation albums, where I list "Album Artist" as "Various Artists" and the artists real name under "Artist".

If I search for the artist (in this case Nick Kamen) nothing comes up but if I search for the title of the song (in this case "Each Time You Breaking My Heart") the song pops up.

Why can't I search for the artist name in compilation albums?

Last edited:

Benzman

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Just noticed the same thing and came here to find out WTF? Various Artists is not searchable w/iTunes 11. Harrumph!!!

Benzman

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Turns out, I figured out if you strike the "enter" key, it will find songs in "various artists". Odd that it doesn't live search, but it does search the same way it did in 10.7.

Dataz, similar findings or no?

Dataz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Turns out, I figured out if you strike the "enter" key, it will find songs in "various artists". Odd that it doesn't live search, but it does search the same way it did in 10.7.

Nice find, works for me too. But I would prefer "live search". I hope Apple will fix it.

Nigel123

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Figured it out!

Next to the search bar (the search glass) click it to bring the drop down. Uncheck "Search Entire Library". Now you will have the old search form, only way less responsive - it works though..

Still testing it out if it's worth it now that we have Up Next which I use a hell of a lot.

bto9E.png

EDIT: Also noticed that Next Up is altered to what is in the live search.

Last edited:

larrydata

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2011
next to the search bar (the search glass) click it to bring the drop down. Uncheck "search entire library". Now you will have the old search form, only way less responsive - it works though..

Still testing it out if it's worth it now that we have up next which i use a hell of a lot.

edit: also noticed that next up is altered to what is in the live search.

omg...thank you!

Corinnadubai

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
search not working for ipod

Hello,
previously when i went to devices -> my ipod -> music I was also able to search songs on my ipod now the search function is only working on the search library.
and yes i have removed the tic from search entire library. its not working for the ipod...
any idea why?
Thanks
Corinna

trueholygoat

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
The inability to search my connected iPod is a deal breaker for me. Not sure how removing this basic functionality is considered an "improvement," but whatever, I've already reverted to 10.7.

Nigel123

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Hello,
previously when i went to devices -> my ipod -> music I was also able to search songs on my ipod now the search function is only working on the search library.
and yes i have removed the tic from search entire library. its not working for the ipod...
any idea why?
Thanks
Corinna

I'm having the same issue but with my iphone. The search is rendered useless.

The inability to search my connected iPod is a deal breaker for me. Not sure how removing this basic functionality is considered an "improvement," but whatever, I've already reverted to 10.7.

Sorry I didnt have email notifications on so I thought the thread dies. For me it works.. I have an iPhone 4S - but that shouldnt matter.

I know iTunes was updated recently to add in a few features like "Duplicate Copies" so I didnt get a chance to test this before the update.

Benayun

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Keyword searching

So I have just begun to realise an extension to the searching problem described here.

Here is my Senario. I have 23 songs by 'Flume', a Sydney DJ. 15 songs from his album, 4 live radio sets and 4 remixes of other artists songs. The remixes are named with original song name and "(Flume remix)" suffix, and the original artist in artist field.

Searching "Flume" has only 20 Results, omitting three of the remixes... iTunes isn't recognising the Flume keyword in brackets. Searching "(Flume" returns the 4 remixes only.

It appears the lone remix to appear in the original search is because Flume is listed as Album artist.

So the work around is to add Flume to all Album artist fields, but I thought I had lost three songs, because no matter how I searched iTunes it didn't recognise "Flume" in a song named "The Anthem (Flume remix)"... seems dumb to me.

MBP 15' running OS10.7.5 iTunes11.0.1

Nigel123

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
@Benayun:

Firstly, I do enjoy Flume as a Melbournite.

Secondly, I cannot recreate the problem. I am on Mountain Lion 10.8.2, iTunes 11.0.1.

My Flume is listed in the "Artist" not "Album Artist" though, as are all my other artists which I think may be causing the problem.. I cannot however, recreate it by removing everything and changing the details.

Is this under the live search or the alternative I posted?

hepcat72

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010

No, the search does not work the way it used to. It no longer searches the comment field when you search "All". Really really annoying when you have put lots of things to search on in the comments field.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.