Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I am considering switching from a MacBook Pro to an iMac for a couple of reasons. One of the things I really like about my MacBook Pro is the auto-dimming display. I don't see this listed as a feature on the new iMac. Does anyone know if the new iMac has this feature? Thanks!

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
To my knowledge, all LCD Macs have auto-dimming displays. I usually disable that feature. I don't know why, but it kind of annoys me.

Nov 28, 2010
located
To my knowledge, all LCD Macs have auto-dimming displays. I usually disable that feature. I don't know why, but it kind of annoys me.

No, they don't, since Apple uses LCDs in whatever fashion since at least 1998 (Apple Studio Display) and 1999 (Apple Cinema Display) and 2001 (G4 iMac). None of them have that "adjust display brightness automatically" feature, not even my 2007 iMac nor my 2004 iBook nor my 2008 MacBBok have or had this feature. It seems to be a feature locked to models with keyboard backlight, but I do not want to count all of them just now.

triweaver2

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Mine auto dims when not in use. Probably some Preference I set years ago. I have a mid 2007 iMac.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I know this isn't relevant to the display technology, but I've wondered why Apple hasn't incorporated backlit technology into their wireless and wired keyboards for desktop Macs. Any good reason?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Mine auto dims when not in use. Probably some Preference I set years ago. I have a mid 2007 iMac.

That is set in System Preferences > Energy Saver > Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep and has nothing to do with what the OP wants, namely, that the display adjusts its brightness according to the ambient light, which is not as needed in a stationary computer (desktops for example, to which the iMac still belongs) as it is in a mobile computer (notebooks or laptops), as mobile computers are probably used in different places with different light settings, whereas the light does not change as much for desktops (ignoring the weather for a bit).

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
I know this isn't relevant to the display technology, but I've wondered why Apple hasn't incorporated backlit technology into their wireless and wired keyboards for desktop Macs. Any good reason?

For wireless devices I assume that the drop in usage time was unacceptable for :apple:.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
No, they don't, since Apple uses LCDs in whatever fashion since at least 1998 (Apple Studio Display) and 1999 (Apple Cinema Display) and 2001 (G4 iMac). None of them have that "adjust display brightness automatically" feature, not even my 2007 iMac nor my 2004 iBook nor my 2008 MacBBok have or had this feature. It seems to be a feature locked to models with keyboard backlight, but I do not want to count all of them just now.

Wait, were talking about 2 things here. Don't try and shoot me down, simsaladimbamba

Ambient light sensor equipped notebooks automatically adjust the display brightness based on the lighting conditions in the room. Recent iMacs and Mac portables have this feature.

All Macs with LCD's can automatically reduce the display brightness after a certain time period of inactivity.

See, these are two different kinds of brightness reductions. So don't think you have all the answers dear.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Wait, were talking about 2 things here. Don't try and shoot me down, simsaladimbamba

Ambient light sensor equipped notebooks automatically adjust the display brightness based on the lighting conditions in the room. Recent iMacs and Mac portables have this feature.

All Macs with LCD's can automatically reduce the display brightness after a certain time period of inactivity.

See, these are two different kinds of brightness reductions. So don't think you have all the answers dear.

I understand, but as I understood the OP, he want that "adjust brightness according to ambient light" stuff and not that other "reduce brightness after a set amount of time", which every Mac with Mac OS X and built in display probably has.

I do not presume to know all answers, but my butt is bigger than yours. That's that. ;)

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
For wireless devices I assume that the drop in usage time was unacceptable for :apple:.

Lol.. oh just thought of a reason.. Macbooks might have backlit keyboards as they are always on the move and are usually used anywhere, even dark places with no source of light. (Ex. using it on an airplane or night train where lights are dimmed when it gets dark)

With desktops, I guess you are more or less settled down in a room where you will always have a light source and have control over the electricity.

triweaver2

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Guess each of us read it differently.
I'm glad mine stays bright when in use in a dark room. I can see the dog easier at night. :)

MactheNate

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
im glad that you posted the information on the "display off after x minutes" i was wondering that myself as this imac will be my first mac and i am intersted in using it as media hub for streaming

bryan85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I understand, but as I understood the OP, he want that "adjust brightness according to ambient light" stuff and not that other "reduce brightness after a set amount of time", which every Mac with Mac OS X and built in display probably has.

I do not presume to know all answers, but my butt is bigger than yours. That's that. ;)

That is exactly what I was looking for it to do, "adjust brightness according to ambient light". It seems weird that this feature is in the cinema display/thunderbolt display, but I can't find any information of it being in the new iMac. I would really like the new iMac to be able to do this.

----------

I would love to see this! I am sure it would kill the batteries even quicker though. My batteries are lucky to last a month as is.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I would love to see this! I am sure it would kill the batteries even quicker though. My batteries are lucky to last a month as is.

Would love to see it too.. although I love this idea, after I thought about it for a bit I don't think Apple will incorporate it - look at my previous post for justification

But, it is what it is.. you never know.. lol

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
That is exactly what I was looking for it to do, "adjust brightness according to ambient light".

I'm surprised people read it as anything other than what you described. You weren't unclear.

I didn't know there was an auto dimming feature either. Do I have it on my 2008 iMac? But even at the lowest brightness setting, my iMac is still too bright
and I had to install a freeware program to reduce the brightness even more.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
they do (at least the 21.5 does)

has the "automatically adjust brightness" check box just like the macbook pros do

Posted from one of the new 21.5s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.