Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Apple stock (AAPL) is down 6.43% today... could this be coz of the lackluster sales of the iphone5? no one is buying coz the screen is too tiny...

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Apple stock (AAPL) is down 6.43% today... could this be coz of the lackluster sales of the iphone5? no one is buying coz the screen is too tiny...

That's a pretty ridiculous assumption, seeing as how we don't know the sales numbers nor any reported motives for not buying the 5.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

or it could just be due to the uncertainty over the fiscal cliff coming up on January 1st or don't you watch the news? Its funny that just because you want a bigger screen you assume everyone does. By the way, i iPhone 5 sales are doing better then any phone in history so before you spout misinformation do your research.

Also if their sales are so good then there goes your "people want a bigger screen" argument.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Adding half an inch or more makes a dramatic difference. And if the iPad has proven anything, it's that bigger looks better. Movies, photos, web pages, games, everything looks nicer.

Then why did many act as if the jump from 3.5" to 4" was no big deal?

Regardless.....its still a small screen. Of course it will look better on a 4.5" screen than it does on a 4", but both are still pretty small for doing web browsing for any extended period of time.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Then why did many act as if the jump from 3.5" to 4" was no big deal?

Regardless.....its still a small screen. Of course it will look better on a 4.5" screen than it does on a 4", but both are still pretty small for doing web browsing for any extended period of time.

Adding width would do more for the surface area of the screen than adding height.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Adding width would do more for the surface area of the screen than adding height.

if they would have added width and height like many people are complaining about and kept the aspect ratio the same then everything on the screen would have just been bigger without giving any benefit to the device. By giving the phone a 16:9 aspect ratio it lets more information be displayed on the screen which is much better. If you every try out an iPhone 5 you will see how much better the new aspect ratio is. I could never go back to one of the older iPhones.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Thanks for you obsessive rant rationalizing your decision. Now, go buy a different phone. It's that easy, no rant needed.

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Get an iPad.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Why not just put a 4k display in phones? Not like you can see a difference past the resolution the iPhone 5 has anyway, but why not increase the cost of just the screen by double?

You don't genuinely believe in the magical retina eye-limiting point of 300ppi do you?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
if they would have added width and height like many people are complaining about and kept the aspect ratio the same then everything on the screen would have just been bigger without giving any benefit to the device. By giving the phone a 16:9 aspect ratio it lets more information be displayed on the screen which is much better. If you every try out an iPhone 5 you will see how much better the new aspect ratio is. I could never go back to one of the older iPhones.

I own an iPhone 5...and yes I do enjoy 16:9 especially for videos but I would appreciate some width. The screen looks oddly narrow.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I own an iPhone 5...and yes I do enjoy 16:9 especially for videos but I would appreciate some width. The screen looks oddly narrow.

When I got the iPhone 5 the screen did look tall and norrow but now the iPhone 4 screen looks short and fat.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Isn't the 4" screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio perfect for watching HD videos? It's definitely much better than the 4:3 aspect ratio on the previous models, where you have black bars on the top and bottom when watching a HD video.:cool:

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Isn't the 4" screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio perfect for watching HD videos? It's definitely much better than the 4:3 aspect ratio on the previous models, where you have black bars on the top and bottom when watching a HD video.:cool:

I don't usually watch movies on my phone but I can say it is much better for reading news on my news apps and even looking at this forum. Everything doesn't seem so squshed.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
This thread is laughable. Apple is a business and you're a consumer spoiled for choice. No one's forcing you to purchase Apple products.

PPI on the iPhone 5 is the same as the iPhone 4, so if your eyes didn't hurt with the iPhone 4, why would they hurt with the iPhone 5? The iPhone 5 just has a "taller" screen.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
This thread is laughable. Apple is a business and you're a consumer spoiled for choice. No one's forcing you to purchase Apple products.

PPI on the iPhone 5 is the same as the iPhone 4, so if your eyes didn't hurt with the iPhone 4, why would they hurt with the iPhone 5? The iPhone 5 just has a "taller" screen.

The thread-starter is a troll, of course this thread is laughable.

There's no need for HD screens like those 720p ones, really.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Based on recent reported leaks about the upcoming new iPhone, it appears Apple will cling to it's uniquely narrow 4.0" display at least until 2014.

If the spacious 2012 displays in the range of 4.5" through 5.5" remain popular, Apple will be the lone holdout just like in the 3.5" days.

But no worries, I'm very pleased with the Galaxy & Nexus models with modern sized screens that I own. It's a great alternative while we iPhone lovers wait for Apple to catch up.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

facepalm.gif
28qw3e1.jpg

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Based on recent reported leaks about the upcoming new iPhone, it appears Apple will cling to it's uniquely narrow 4.0" display at least until 2014.

If the spacious 2012 displays in the range of 4.5" through 5.5" remain popular, Apple will be the lone holdout just like in the 3.5" days.

But no worries, I'm very pleased with the Galaxy & Nexus models with modern sized screens that I own. It's a great alternative while we iPhone lovers wait for Apple to catch up.

Apple is far, far, ahead of the game in terms of the best form factor. Now Samsung needs to release a reasonably sized flagship phone. It's fine if they want to release gargantuan things, but their flagship should be a ~4" device, with options for larger ones.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Apple is far, far, ahead of the game in terms of the best form factor. Now Samsung needs to release a reasonably sized flagship phone. It's fine if they want to release gargantuan things, but their flagship should be a ~4" device, with options for larger ones.

I hate Samsung, but the S3 is selling extraordinarily well for an Android flagship. I think most people genuinely want a bigger screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.