Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noupf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Just upgarded to the iphone 5 and need to sell my iphone 4 as well as my wifes. What do I need to do to the old iphone 4's in order to sell them? Do I just need to take out the sim cards ( at&t phones ) or is there a way to clear the phone completely?

Thanks

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Just upgarded to the iphone 5 and need to sell my iphone 4 as well as my wifes. What do I need to do to the old iphone 4's in order to sell them? Do I just need to take out the sim cards ( at&t phones ) or is there a way to clear the phone completely?

Thanks

Go to settings, general, reset, erase all contents and settings...will delete everything on your phone. Then remove sim...

noupf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
sorry guys, 2 more questions......

1) so i can just sell the phone with no sim card in it? At&t will supply the new owner with one when the activate the old phone?

2) I synched and restored my new iphone 5 and none of my apps are there.....what do i need to do?

thanks !

----------

How much are you selling it for just curious

whatever ebay yeilds. $225+ from what i've seen for mint ones. Mine are both near perfect.

Last edited:

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
sorry guys, 2 more questions......

1) so i can just sell the phone with no sim card in it? At&t will supply the new owner with one when the activate the old phone?

2) I synched and restored my new iphone 5 and none of my apps are there.....what do i need to do?

thanks !

----------

whatever ebay yeilds. $225+ from what i've seen for mint ones. Mine are both near perfect.

If you haven't erased your old 4 yet then connect it to a wifi and back it up to iCloud. Make sure your apps are set to backup to iCloud in the iCloud settings on the phone. Once the backup to iCloud has been completed, erase the new 5 and restore it from the iCloud backup you just made. This will restore all your apps and their data just as you had them on the 4.

***IMPORTANT*** Make sure you are running the latest version of iOS 6 on the iPhone 4 before you make the backup. A new iPhone can only be set up from a backup made running the same version of iOS as the phone that is being setup. So if your iPhone 5 is running iOS 6.0.1 then the iPhone 4 MUST be running iOS 6.0.1 when you make the backup.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted

After the reset and SIM card removal, I'd log into iTunes and remove it from your managed device list.

iTunes > Account > Manage Devices

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.