Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Recently I began noticing that my iPhone 5 doesn't have data coverage when leaving my home. I first noticed it one day when I was driving and needed Siri to get me turn by turn navigation guidance and she said no data connection.

I work from home so am connected to my WiFi sometimes days at a time without leaving. While at home I know I'm on LTE because my signal strength is 3 bars opposed to 5 bars on HSPA+. I know this because I tested it by turning WiFi off seeing 3 bars on LTE then turning LTE off and getting 5 bars. Lately I've been seeing 5 bars more frequently on my phone. When I turn WiFi off, I have no data connection.

I can only get data back by turning the phone off and back on. Turning Airplane mode off/on doesn't fix it, turning Cellular Data on/off doesn't fix it, and turning LTE on/off doesn't fix it.

Is it my iPhone 5 or is the problem with at&t's network? Any suggestions how to correct this problem? I'm tempted to turn WiFi off for a few days (on unlimited plan) to see what happens. FYI my WiFi network is from an AirPort Extreme if that matters.

midnight555

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
My wife and I have the same problem with our iPhones. We have tried the same thing that you have tried.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Well that's somewhat comforting that its not just my phone but still sucks. Someone suggested a factory reset. Have you tried this at all out of curiosity?

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Wow! I searched google for this and found nothing so posted myself and am surprised to see people having the same issues. Someone on another form I posted this to also has this problem.

Seeing how we all have the problem it means 1 of 2 things. We all either got phones from a bad batch (unlikely) or its at&t's network.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Ok, I just called at&t tech support to inform them that several of us are having this problem. They acknowledged this is an issue with the iPhone 5. She asked that I "Reset Network Settings" and keep an eye on it. She'll be following up with me on Friday evening to see if the issue has been corrected.

Y'all may want to try this as well to see what happens. Lets hope this works.

Fredvs79

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
The antennas in the iphone 5 seem to have issues! Both with Wifi (my experience) and cellular (seen here)

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Well, I missed at&t's call yesterday but they left a voicemail saying they'd call me Monday. Everything had worked fine after the reset up until last night.

I now have full signal and when I turn wifi I have no signal again until I turn my iPhone 5 off then back on.

I wonder what at&t will do next to troubleshoot?

dmystic1

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
Hemet, CA
What area are you guys in? I live in Hemet California and I have had this issue for a month now. Its not just with the iPhone because it happened with my HTC One X also. I have noted that on my One X I could tell what network I was attached to at the time. It only happens when I connected to a HSPA+ network. If I was connected to HSPA or EDGE no problems.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I'm in Green Bay, WI. AT&T called tonight and asked that try a few days with LTE turned off to see if the problem continues. She looked at her coverage map and said we have 4G but not LTE here. I said BS and told her I connect to LTE all the time.

Perhaps they haven't officially deployed LTE here yet as the press release said we'd have LTE by the end of the year. Maybe they are turning LTE on and off causing my problems?

In either case, she'll be calling me back on Thursday for an update. I'll keep everyone updated.

dmystic1

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
Hemet, CA
I'm in Green Bay, WI. AT&T called tonight and asked that try a few days with LTE turned off to see if the problem continues. She looked at her coverage map and said we have 4G but not LTE here. I said BS and told her I connect to LTE all the time.

Perhaps they haven't officially deployed LTE here yet as the press release said we'd have LTE by the end of the year. Maybe they are turning LTE on and off causing my problems?

In either case, she'll be calling me back on Thursday for an update. I'll keep everyone updated.

LTE is not my issue because there is no LTE where I live.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
AT&T seems to think its not a hardware or network issue. She said it apples to be a software issue on the iPhone. She wants me to do random speed tests while on 4G too and keep screen shots so they can submit them to Apple as proof.

kgapp

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Chicago, IL
Same issue - Chicago suburbs - AT&T iPhone5

Same issue here in the northern suburbs of Chicago on multiple AT&T iPhone5's. We randomly lose our AT&T data connectivity and the only way to solve the problem is to restart the phone. Upon restart the data connection is instantly restored and data starts flowing (texts, emails, etc).

Three different AT&T iPhone5's (all from initial release inventory) with the same issue. Sometimes it happens once every few weeks and sometimes it happens twice in one day.

I have contacted AT&T support in the past on other data related issues and they have never been able to assist with a specific network related data issue. I would not really expect them to be able to offer much on this issue until they have received a lot more complaints and are willing to acknowledge that there is a specific issue.

I am interested in knowing if this problem is affecting any Verizon or Sprint users or if this issue is exclusive to AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.