Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Well sounds like it is time to try bending it back!

What's the worse that can happen, the screen cracks? Who cares apple will still give you a replacement for 219. Might as well give it a try.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
if you do not have Applecare+ already you can't put it on since the device is already damaged and to purchase Applecare+ after the fact it needs to be inspected by an apple genius.

Your best bet would be go to an apple store and try and explain your financial situation and how the iPad mini saved you from breaking your tailbone xD. I think it is 229 for a replacment.

Not True, I just had an accident where my son threw my iPhone 5 in the toilet, I got the iPhone on release day. The apple store, then sold me the applecare+ package and charged me the $50 incident fee and replaced my phone. It does count as one of my incidents of which you get 2 but at least I have one left.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The 16GB Mini is $320.

Jeff will be out of pocket for $219 if Apple replaces it; Apple values his bent Mini at $101. Jeff is essentially buying a new mini for $219.

Jeff just has to sell his Mini for more than $101 for his out of pocket cost to be less than if Apple replaces it.

Hell, I'll give him $150 for it, which would mean that it only costs Jeff $170 to buy a new Mini.

Obviously the numbers adjust slightly because of tax.

Do I hear $151? :D:D Might as well do an auction on eBay.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
I wasn't being an ***** about anything, I wasn't demanding for a free replacement or anything. And I do know what a refurbished product is, I'm using one right now because my iPhone 5 had battery problems. But paying 219 for one isn't that cost efficient for me. If I can sell my ipad mini online for a decent price, I can minimize my cost.

I wasnt exactly looking for sympathy, i just went straight to the point and Said i slipped and fell kn my ipad mini. It's really hit or miss with apple geniuses, all these years of going to the apple genius, I've probably only met one guy who was willing to replace my out-of-warranty iPhone 4 hassle free. Maybe Canadian apple geniuses are different. You should give me more tips on how to talk to apple geniuses! :)

Cool, yo.
Tip 1- don't take a tone like that with them. it doesn't help your cause.
:)

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
They were gonna replace it with a refurbished one I think. No way am I gonna pay 219 for a replacement model, might as well get a new one at 329. This thing is still fully functional.

How much do you guys think a bent ipad mini can go for on Craigslist? It's a 16 gb wifi model.

I'd sell for $160 (half price approx)

It is functional, so somebody would definitely want it

MistaGavin

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
I would keep trying to bend it back. Put some muscle into it!

160 is a good price....If I only needed another

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
Whoa that is crazy!! I cant believe its still functioning 100%! Yeah I would just go and be honest and hopefully they will understand?

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
The 16GB Mini is $320.

Jeff will be out of pocket for $219 if Apple replaces it; Apple values his bent Mini at $101. Jeff is essentially buying a new mini for $219.

Jeff just has to sell his Mini for more than $101 for his out of pocket cost to be less than if Apple replaces it.

Hell, I'll give him $150 for it, which would mean that it only costs Jeff $170 to buy a new Mini.

Obviously the numbers adjust slightly because of tax.

Gotcha now.

Clint

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
You do have somewhat of a collectible. Before you do anything with it, send your photo and a letter of explanation to Tim Cook and Jonny Ive! Just send it as an FYI, don't ask for anything. It is stunning that the screen withstood that bending and even more that it is still working :). I suspect you will hear back from them in short order.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
So it appears that my mastercard does cover these damages, gonna be filing a claim and see how it goes.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah your CC company should replace it if you bought it within 30 days, just another enticing perk of buying into our debt culture! :D

If not, do you not have contents insurance which covers damage? Or insurance for your tech? I insure all my technology for £10 a month (up to £1,500 value for absolutely anything that gets damaged, lost, stolen etc). If not now you know why it's important ;)

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Yeah your CC company should replace it if you bought it within 30 days, just another enticing perk of buying into our debt culture! :D

If not, do you not have contents insurance which covers damage? Or insurance for your tech? I insure all my technology for £10 a month (up to £1,500 value for absolutely anything that gets damaged, lost, stolen etc). If not now you know why it's important ;)

My credit card provides up to 90 days :D and no i don't really have any insurance right now.

Anyone know how to get a repair estimate online? I tried called apple support to get them to email me one but they said they can't do that, and that i have to get it from the store or get it from express lane (which i'm not entirely sure how to obtain the quote). Its exam time so i don't really have the time to go down to the apple store and would prefer to get it online.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
Take a video of it showing it on and working, running some apps, put it on YouTube, send it to all the gadget blogs and make sure you hit "monetize video" and catch some cash to supplement your replacement purchase

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Time to cut your losses, make a "will it blend" or microwave it and put the video on YouTube. From the $$$ you get when it goes viral, buy a new unit. Of course people will call you an idiot etc, but ignore them. :)

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Out of interest how much do you weigh?

Are you a big fat man?

We can only see his hand in the picture, but it doesn't look like the hand of a fat person. That being said, he fell on it, a could imagine it wouldn't take much if landing on it right even a 50 pound kid could probably do that.

It's make from thin Al and glass not Fe.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
We can only see his hand in the picture, but it doesn't look like the hand of a fat person. That being said, he fell on it, a could imagine it wouldn't take much if landing on it right even a 50 pound kid could probably do that.

It's make from thin Al and glass not Fe.

Good hand analysis, he doesn't look like a super size person,but was just thinking this would represent a good stress test result if the Op was 500lbs, not so much if he was a skinny one.

Other extraneous variables worth taking into account would be angle of descent and cushioning of impact.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Good hand analysis, he doesn't look like a super size person,but was just thinking this would represent a good stress test result if the Op was 500lbs, not so much if he was a skinny one.

Other extraneous variables worth taking into account would be angle of descent and cushioning of impact.

LOL, if he was 500 pounds and only did that little damage, then the rest of us don't have to worry about bending ours. :D

----------

I found a picture of the OP with his messenger bag.

S5EP15_-_Sheldon.jpg

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011

Discover gives you 90 days.

adeon

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
This is a futuristic iPad. All things screens will be curved in the future just like the Alienware monitor :-D

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Does your iPad mini lend to the left or the right? ;)

Try sitting on it and see if straightens out over a week.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Out of interest how much do you weigh?

Are you a big fat man?

You should know that a fat man will outright destroy or break the glass of the ipad mini lol.

I weigh about 130 pounds, probably why the ipad mini bent without breaking. And i think i was falling in slow motion, so the impact was reduced lmao

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.