Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Since i update to iOS6, GC keeps asking me to sign in no matter how many times i hit Cancel on the top left corner.
Never happened before. Any suggestions?
thanks

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Since i update to iOS6, GC keeps asking me to sign in no matter how many times i hit Cancel on the top left corner.
thanks

The only thing I've heard of was to actually sign in, but don't allow the game apps to access it and it should leave you alone most of the time.

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
The only thing I've heard of was to actually sign in, but don't allow the game apps to access it and it should leave you alone most of the time.

Thanks. Do most Game Apps allow you to turn it off? I don't remember seeing on any games as a option.:(

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
thanks
No clue.

But what is the harm? Just sign in, set your profile to private, and you'll be done.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
Personally I prefer to opt out of anything which keeps info on me as much as possible.

info on you? lol Its storing your high scores and games you play, not your social, address, phone number or credit card number

but some games have the option not to use Game Center

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Personally I prefer to opt out of anything which keeps info on me as much as possible.
It's your Apple account though... They already know what games you've bought and installed on your iPhone. You're telling them nothing they don't already know... maybe your Angry Birds progress, but really, no, not likely?

I get it's dumb, but you'll save some headache if you just settle the account, and disable public profile.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
info on you? lol Its storing your high scores and games you play, not your social, address, phone number or credit card number

None of us know what it gathers and keeps track of or shares with other developers who use the system. We just assume - which is OK for most but not for me. Same reason I don't have FB/Twitter/etc.

When my current employer started passing on people due to things they find online - I changed my online habits.

macman3210

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012

I am having the same issue. On my lunch break at work I like to play some Phase 10, but the Game Center is blocked on our wireless network. So I have to deal with clicking disable about four times before I can load into my game. This all started with iOS 6. Surely someone has a workaround for this. Game Center offers no features that interest me in the slightest, so disabling it (or removing it) if possible would be great.

And I agree with Bogatyr, having everything social and connected isn't always a good thing. If I could competitively, or cooperatively play against friends that's one thing, but knowing my score sucks against the 290,586,709 people playing the same game I am doesn't boost my self esteem or do anything for me. I assume most Apple users either don't know what game center is, or they don't care to use it. So having the ability to turn it off seems practical to me. The only work around I have found is to disable the wireless or to turn on Airplane mode.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Good lord is there any update on this? Game Center is insanely annoying. It's stuff like this, apple, that makes me hate you. iOS 6 finally stopped booting you out of the App Store every time you started a download but now they force Game Center on you every time you load a game. Infuriating.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Good lord is there any update on this? Game Center is insanely annoying. It's stuff like this, apple, that makes me hate you. iOS 6 finally stopped booting you out of the App Store every time you started a download but now they force Game Center on you every time you load a game. Infuriating.

You can turn it off under restrictions I think. I don't find any use for it either.

Gymgenius

Suspended
Jan 29, 2010
You can only turn off 'Multiplayer Games' and 'Adding Friends' in Restrictions.
Game centre is still visible, and you still get nagged to log in.

I've sent a suggestion to Apple that we should be able to enable or disable each 'stock' app individually within Restrictions.

Gymgenius

Suspended
Jan 29, 2010
None of us know what it gathers and keeps track of or shares with other developers who use the system. We just assume - which is OK for most but not for me. Same reason I don't have FB/Twitter/etc.

When my current employer started passing on people due to things they find online - I changed my online habits.

I agree, and I too have deleted (not de-activated) The Facebook. I browse Twitter, but don't have an account on there.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
You can only turn off 'Multiplayer Games' and 'Adding Friends' in Restrictions.
Game centre is still visible, and you still get nagged to log in.

I've sent a suggestion to Apple that we should be able to enable or disable each 'stock' app individually within Restrictions.

Yeah actually I was referring to this functionality. Not much to help, but better than nothing. Kinda sad that there's no way to delete useless stock apps like Newsstand and game center, both of which I do not use. :mad:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
This happens to me every once in a while -every game I go into forces me to cancel, et. Then this issue goes away for weeks or more and then re-appears. It is a pain when it happens but not the biggest issue to me.

Personally, like a lot of people I wish I could make game center just disappear.

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
I've disabled mine but I can't tell if I did it through lockinfo (jailbroken) or not. There's a setting in notifications for game center and I switched it to off. But again, this might be a lockinfo setting, I'm not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.