Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trigf

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I have multiple seasons of various TV shows in iTunes. Each season has its own listing when you click on TV Shows. What I would like is for the view to condense the TV shows, then I could expand them to see the individual seasons and episodes. I'm attaching a link of what one TV show looks like in iTunes.

I've seen pictures of various people's iTunes libraries where they are condensed into listings of the show, with the seasons/episodes listed within them. I don't get how this is done because even when you buy multiple seasons on the iTunes store, they show up as separate entries in TV Shows.

Edit: Here is a screenshot of someone else's iTunes library, describing exactly what I'm looking for. It's old, but you get the idea:

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90828&d=1194653872

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-09 at 4.32.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-09 at 4.32.05 PM.png
    475.5 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

trigf

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
View->Album List

?

Is that what you want?

Not exactly. Look at the screenshot of my library. You'll see that each Season is sorted into it's own album. Now look at the screenshot of some random person's library I found - you'll see that each show is an album, with the episodes ordered by season.

I'm trying to get my library organized like the second screenshot.

westonm

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
I believe that's just the way "it is" now. The random persons screenshot you reference is from an older version of iTunes. (I'm not 100% on that, but iirc...)

You might be able to fake it with some clever metadata shenanigans.

trigf

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I believe that's just the way "it is" now. The random persons screenshot you reference is from an older version of iTunes. (I'm not 100% on that, but iirc...)

You might be able to fake it with some clever metadata shenanigans.

Yeah, I've been trying that. Like setting the "Album" on the TV shows to the title of the show- still separates them out.

Also makes it a PITA when browsing on Apple TV. Instead of seeing album artwork for each show, I'm seeing it for each season. So I have to go through 12 seasons of Are You Being Served? before I get to anything else, lol.

imMango

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
I'm hoping this functionality comes in 11. Fingers crossed. It bugs me too (especially on the aTV)

trigf

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I'm hoping this functionality comes in 11. Fingers crossed. It bugs me too (especially on the aTV)

Looks like we got what we wanted! Look how organized that library is now! :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 7.15.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 7.15.18 PM.png
    610.2 KB · Views: 152

Cobra611

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Beacon, NY
I would just go in and change the data myself when I added a full season of a show. You just have to be sure that the info is the same across all episodes...such as year, program title, episode number, and things like that. It took me a while to do all of mine manually. But, regardless it looks as though your question was answered.

trigf

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I would just go in and change the data myself when I added a full season of a show. You just have to be sure that the info is the same across all episodes...such as year, program title, episode number, and things like that. It took me a while to do all of mine manually. But, regardless it looks as though your question was answered.

If you look at my screenshots, you'll notice the difference from iTunes 10 - 11. I didn't change any of the metadata in the files, because my library is already incredibly well organized. It was resolved simply by upgrading to iTunes 11 when it became available. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.