Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
WOW. 50? That's a LOT. Seems like a residential broadband connection couldn't handle that many. All that being said, since it tunnels back to Verizon, I don't see any downside to having it open. If they're downloading something illegal through it, it would still get traced to them through Verizon.

No it's not 50! The original extender was 5 users, and the 3G is somewhat higher than that...but not 50!

greenchiliman

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Chicago
WOW. 50? That's a LOT. Seems like a residential broadband connection couldn't handle that many. All that being said, since it tunnels back to Verizon, I don't see any downside to having it open. If they're downloading something illegal through it, it would still get traced to them through Verizon.

Might not be 50, maybe 20? I know it is a lot compared to whatever amount of people you have over and talking on the phone.

No way to trace your data usage through it as it is voice only. NSA listening in though might be another story :D

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Might not be 50, maybe 20? I know it is a lot compared to whatever amount of people you have over and talking on the phone.

No way to trace your data usage through it as it is voice only. NSA listening in though might be another story :D

With Managed Access, you can prioritize access to your Network Extender to up to 50 Verizon Wireless callers you select. Where a compatible tower is unavailable, callers that do not appear on your Managed Access list may access the Network Extender when not in use by priority callers. All callers may access the Network Extender for emergency (E911) calls.

However Up to six simultaneous users (a seventh channel is reserved for emergency (E911) calls).

If you have the 3G network extender then you can use 3G EVDO data through the network extender. But, often times many will just use their wifi network.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
With Managed Access, you can prioritize access to your Network Extender to up to 50 Verizon Wireless callers you select. Where a compatible tower is unavailable, callers that do not appear on your Managed Access list may access the Network Extender when not in use by priority callers. All callers may access the Network Extender for emergency (E911) calls.

However Up to six simultaneous users (a seventh channel is reserved for emergency (E911) calls).

If you have the 3G network extender then you can use 3G EVDO data through the network extender. But, often times many will just use their wifi network.

That sounds more like it.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I discovered from tech support that if you have managed access turned on people not on the whitelist will standby on your network extender but when they place calls will be handed off to the nearest cell tower if available. If not available then only 1 unauthorized user can take up one channel and everyone else will just be directed to nearest tower or get all circuits are busy recording.

I recently had the power boosted on my network extender by tech support because I was having issues with phone calls handing off to the cell tower whenever I am upstairs and this leads to call dropping. Now I can get 3-4 bars upstairs with the network extender before it was boosted I only got 1 bar. The downside of the power boost is that I live across the street from a hospital emergency room and my network extender extends coverage to the waiting room. However, I have not noticed increased usage on my network extender.

I am experiencing these 4 issues now though:

#1 With location aware apps like Maps, Facebook, Foursquare it will display my location for Santa Clarita, CA or Saugus, CA even though I am in Monterey Park, CA no where near Santa Clarita.

#2 Other issue is when I am in a call there is an audible clicking soundheard every few seconds. Sometimes it is just one click other times it is a succession of clicks. It sounds like someone picked up the extension of an landline telephone. The voice quality is unaffected though just the annoying clicks.

#3 Final issue is on phones running the Android operating system if I dial numbers with +1 (area code) I get an error message from Verizon. This only happens when I am connected via network extender.

#4 If I turn LTE off and wifi off the battery seems to drain pretty quickly when on 3G. If I turn LTE on and wifi off the battery drains quickly as well but not as fast if LTE turn off. I just leave LTE on and connect to my wifi and the battery drain issue is not there.

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
I discovered from tech support that if you have managed access turned on people not on the whitelist will standby on your network extender but when they place calls will be handed off to the nearest cell tower if available. If not available then only 1 unauthorized user can take up one channel and everyone else will just be directed to nearest tower or get all circuits are busy recording.

I recently had the power boosted on my network extender by tech support because I was having issues with phone calls handing off to the cell tower whenever I am upstairs and this leads to call dropping. Now I can get 3-4 bars upstairs with the network extender before it was boosted I only got 1 bar. The downside of the power boost is that I live across the street from a hospital emergency room and my network extender extends coverage to the waiting room. However, I have not noticed increased usage on my network extender.

I am experiencing these 4 issues now though:

#1 With location aware apps like Maps, Facebook, Foursquare it will display my location for Santa Clarita, CA or Saugus, CA even though I am in Monterey Park, CA no where near Santa Clarita.

#2 Other issue is when I am in a call there is an audible clicking soundheard every few seconds. Sometimes it is just one click other times it is a succession of clicks. It sounds like someone picked up the extension of an landline telephone. The voice quality is unaffected though just the annoying clicks.

#3 Final issue is on phones running the Android operating system if I dial numbers with +1 (area code) I get an error message from Verizon. This only happens when I am connected via network extender.

#4 If I turn LTE off and wifi off the battery seems to drain pretty quickly when on 3G. If I turn LTE on and wifi off the battery drains quickly as well but not as fast if LTE turn off. I just leave LTE on and connect to my wifi and the battery drain issue is not there.

How did Verizon tech support boost your network extender? I have one and never heard of this option.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
How did Verizon tech support boost your network extender? I have one and never heard of this option.

Just tell them the network extender does not cover your house and ask them to boost the power of your network extender. They will submit a trouble ticket to the NRB.

My network extender is downstairs before the boost if I headed upstairs the call would hand off to local tower then drop. And if I was on the network extender upstairs the signal would be 1 bar -102 and after the boost I get 3-4 bars between -82 and -90

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Another issue I discovered with the iPhone 5 is that if you are standing very close to the network extender the call will drop and you will have a "call failed" error

The above only seems to happen if under "Managed Access" but once I switch to "Open Access" the problem went away

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.