Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

vicecity-150x150.jpg
Rockstar Games has released the iOS port of their blockbuster hit Grand Theft Auto: Vice City tonight. It's essentially the same game you played in 2002 but with touch enhancements.

Our sister site TouchArcade has a walkthrough video of the game that shows off some of the gameplay on iOS.
On touch devices, you control Tommy with virtual buttons and a roving virtual stick. It isn't the best solution in the world, but it works OK. Punch, car jack, and sprint are presented on the right half of the screen. Movement is available on the left. When you jump into a car, the controls change. A two-button directional pad replaces the stick, and car-specific actions like hand brake pop up on the right.

We haven't noticed many notable mobile-specific features. Our gut says that the textures on the buildings in particular have been cleaned up a bit. Also, the frame rate seems a little bit smoother, maybe on par with the PC and Mac versions
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is available on the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City' Arrives for iOS

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Onscreen keyboard is always in front of the game blocking some control buttons... IOS 6.01/iPad 3rd Gen

Had the same problem. Reinstalled the app a few times but this keyboard glitch still appeared. To fix it close the game then go to the spotlight search area and dock and merge the keyboard then you should be able to relaunch the game without the keyboard being in the way.

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
This is probably the game that I've spent the most time playing ever. However I doubt I'd play it again. I've bought GTA III once it had launched and never actually played it :). Nevertheless happy to see quality games like this coming to iOS.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
For something like iPhone or iPad, GTA VC obviously leaves too many things to be done. Some missions are ridiculously difficult to be solved using proper controller/keyboard, and now it's full touch control.

Not to mention it has so many challenge, collectibles and unlockables. It was fun, In fact I completed the whole game 100% but I just can't do it anymore on an iPad.

Yeah.. Expect nothin less than just brag off that my iOS device have Vice City

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
For something like iPhone or iPad, GTA VC obviously leaves too many things to be done. Some missions are ridiculously difficult to be solved using proper controller/keyboard, and now it's full touch control.

Not to mention it has so many challenge, collectibles and unlockables. It was fun, In fact I completed the whole game 100% but I just can't do it anymore on an iPad.

Yeah.. Expect nothin less than just brag off that my iOS device have Vice City

Indeed, that's always the biggest challenge for any game that is ported to iOS and coming from a different platform. Touch controls sometimes just can't do the job for games that made for mouse and - lots of - keys. They do shine, though, in games made for touch devices in the first place.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I would like to get it, but touch control aiming was just too frustrating with GTA III (driving and the rest was fine). I doubt they made it better with Vice City.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
2002??? Holy cow! Is it that old? I am getting old, time just zooms by! :eek:

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
2002??? Holy cow! Is it that old? I am getting old, time just zooms by! :eek:
Given your early Workbench shell icon avatar I'd guess you've been getting old for a while. :) (I totally relate, haha)

In other news, GTA5 is looking lovely.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Indeed, that's always the biggest challenge for any game that is ported to iOS and coming from a different platform. Touch controls sometimes just can't do the job for games that made for mouse and - lots of - keys. They do shine, though, in games made for touch devices in the first place.

IMO GTAIII was sweet as with touch controls, and so far Vice City seems to be as well... They didn't a pretty good implementation. Certainly wasn't half-assed.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Just played it for around 49 minutes on my iPhone 5. It is fullscreen and the controls are a bit better I think than GTA3.
God that gorgeous soundtracks. This game diserves a buy for the music only !
Time to put the entire OST on my iPod.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
If Rockstar is going to stick to its 10th anniversary editions, we might see San Andreas coming in 2014. Yeah!

In the meantime, lets enjoy Vice City ;) Such a shame there's no multiplayer (i know that it was the same with the original vice city...)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Why is the game full screen (4:3) and not 16:9? The PS2 version had 16:9 support.

Did you even watch the video?

The game IS 16:9 - its just the cutscenes that run at 4:3 or letterbox

It's based on the PC version, which had way better graphic abilities than the PS2 version.

Caseynd

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
ND, USA
Controls

Is there a bluetooth controller or something like it that would work with this instead of touch control? That would rock!

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
They've really paid attention to the shortcomings of GTA III touch controls. I've gone and collected all the hidden packages in a helicopter before the first mission and it handles beautifully. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.