Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harleyhum

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
That's why I'm leaning more towards buying it a local retail shop rather than online in case I need to return it. More of a hassle shipping something back.

I bought mine on-line from Apple and returned it to nearby Apple store no questions asked...the transaction took about 2 minutes. I was worried they wouldn't accept the return of the cover that I ordered on same day as the Mini. The cover arrived 2 wks before the Mini and thus was past the 14 day return period by the time I wanted to return the Mini. The friendly Apple associate didn't even mention this...she just grabbed a manager and had an override done no questions asked. Painless.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
When I first picked up the iPad mini I couldn't read the text at all and found pictures simply hard to see.

However once I had switched it on the screen displayed very commendable clarity and I found the viewing angles excellent.

Very possibly those who criticize the device are unaware of this handy hint.

That's funny! But seriously, it's not that the screen is bad, just that the definition of good has moved on.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I bought mine on-line from Apple and returned it to nearby Apple store no questions asked...the transaction took about 2 minutes. I was worried they wouldn't accept the return of the cover that I ordered on same day as the Mini. The cover arrived 2 wks before the Mini and thus was past the 14 day return period by the time I wanted to return the Mini. The friendly Apple associate didn't even mention this...she just grabbed a manager and had an override done no questions asked. Painless.

I was thinking of that place in Manhattan online that has been shipping them within about 2 days. It has been getting good reviews from members on here. Apparently they keep everything in stock!

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
In what ways could Best Buy have improved the screen in store? Some have said on here it's not as good when you get the device home. Not sure I'm on the fence with that claim though.

Best Buy can't improve the display in the store. If anything, a store display model will look worse. It will be more likely to have scratches and smudges all over it and the bright overhead lighting in stores will typically create more reflections on the surface of the display.

At home, you'll likely keep it clean, not abuse it and not view it under direct overhead lighting.

The only thing the store might do is keep the brightness as the top level. Their models are always hooked up to power, so maintaining battery life isn't an issue. In the real world you'll rarely go over 50% brightness.

----------

The mini's display isn't bad. It's just not Retina.

Think of it like this: A Retina display is like a Ferrari, a standard HD display is like a BMW, an iPad mini display is like a Toyota.

Is there anything wrong with a Toyota? No, it's perfectly adequate for most anyone, but Ferrari's and BMW's are certainly nicer.

Much like those choices in cars, there are tradeoffs as well. Is the Retina display awesome? Yes. But to get it, you need to pay more money, have a larger and heavier device and have a longer recharge time. You also of course get a faster processor along with those negatives--and a larger display, which some prefer.

At the end of the day, it's up to you. If you've played with it 3 times and have no complaints, you'll likely be perfectly satisfied with the mini.

Remember too that not everyone can even notice the difference. If you don't have perfect near vision (no one over 40 does) in all likelihood, you physically cannot discern the individual pixels anyway--thus making the Retina display a purely academic feature.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Get Ipad 4, if you dont currently hold an Ipad.

Get Ipad 4, If you are in doubt with Ipad mini screen.

Get Ipad 4, If you are in to a long term use.

Get Ipad 4, just get Ipad 4.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I don't want to deter you from getting a Mini because it's totally fine but this was the deciding factor for me after weeks of deciding whether or not to sell my iPad 3 for a Mini (prefer the Mini form factor). This is a realistic view of what a retina display gives you over a standard display and shows the "fuzziness" that you can see when text is too small. Like most other people have said though, it's not really a big deal once you start to use it day to day or if you haven't been spoiled by retina displays.
DSC_9044.jpg

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Maclook, thanks for the pic. Wow, that's probably the best comparison pic I've seen. I'll have to go test that site/few others I've noted on the mini at Best Buy.

----------

Best Buy can't improve the display in the store. If anything, a store display model will look worse. It will be more likely to have scratches and smudges all over it and the bright overhead lighting in stores will typically create more reflections on the surface of the display.

At home, you'll likely keep it clean, not abuse it and not view it under direct overhead lighting.

The only thing the store might do is keep the brightness as the top level. Their models are always hooked up to power, so maintaining battery life isn't an issue. In the real world you'll rarely go over 50% brightness.

----------

The mini's display isn't bad. It's just not Retina.

Think of it like this: A Retina display is like a Ferrari, a standard HD display is like a BMW, an iPad mini display is like a Toyota.

Is there anything wrong with a Toyota? No, it's perfectly adequate for most anyone, but Ferrari's and BMW's are certainly nicer.

Much like those choices in cars, there are tradeoffs as well. Is the Retina display awesome? Yes. But to get it, you need to pay more money, have a larger and heavier device and have a longer recharge time. You also of course get a faster processor along with those negatives--and a larger display, which some prefer.

At the end of the day, it's up to you. If you've played with it 3 times and have no complaints, you'll likely be perfectly satisfied with the mini.

Remember too that not everyone can even notice the difference. If you don't have perfect near vision (no one over 40 does) in all likelihood, you physically cannot discern the individual pixels anyway--thus making the Retina display a purely academic feature.

I thought display would be better at home as well, agreed. Funny you used the car analogy. All my family drives is Toyota. Guess the mini really is for me :D

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I don't want to deter you from getting a Mini because it's totally fine but this was the deciding factor for me after weeks of deciding whether or not to sell my iPad 3 for a Mini (prefer the Mini form factor). This is a realistic view of what a retina display gives you over a standard display and shows the "fuzziness" that you can see when text is too small. Like most other people have said though, it's not really a big deal once you start to use it day to day or if you haven't been spoiled by retina displays.
View attachment 381871

I have been waiting for a picture like that since the mini came out. Big thanks for that!

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
I got to use a Mini yesterday and the screen is fine. I am spoiled by Retina myself, owning an iPhone 5 and iPad 4. I'm the type that will always upgrade those 2 devices to have the top of the line---but after using a Mini, I'm considering one. It won't be my main iPad or replace my 4, until the day comes that the specs match up. But If size and weight is more important than screen resolution, then Mini would be your choice. I know after a while the non-Retina display would grow on me. I look at my work computer several hours a day, as well as other screens, and I don't feel weird about them not being Retina, lol. Don't let it be such a huge factor. It's a great device.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
I've more or less come around to the Mini being the better choice albeit a compromise.

To answer the OP though I'd probably say the new GMail app - unfortunately that's a hard one to test out in store!

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I got to use a Mini yesterday and the screen is fine. I am spoiled by Retina myself, owning an iPhone 5 and iPad 4. I'm the type that will always upgrade those 2 devices to have the top of the line---but after using a Mini, I'm considering one. It won't be my main iPad or replace my 4, until the day comes that the specs match up. But If size and weight is more important than screen resolution, then Mini would be your choice. I know after a while the non-Retina display would grow on me. I look at my work computer several hours a day, as well as other screens, and I don't feel weird about them not being Retina, lol. Don't let it be such a huge factor. It's a great device.

I ended up getting a mini even though the non retina was a turnoff. Turns out the screen is just fine. Text is noticeably clearer than on my iPad 2 and is just fine for browsing and ebook reading. Different strokes for different folks, of course. But I personally think the screen issue is way overblown.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I have now purchased five, yes... Five iPad Mini's...due to their popularity within my Apple enthusiast family.

Anyone who's read any of my posts knows I'm very outspoken if it's not right.

I'm here to say, the mini display is _excellent!

Yes it is. I don't want to hear it compared to retina or any other non-matching resolution. That doesnt fly.

You can nit pick all you want, but there's no way I would have bought as many as I have, if they weren't a very nice model.

It's as simple as that :)

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Does the BestBuy have any iPad 3/4 near the mini that you can compare? Because unless you compare it to a retina display, the mini screen is going to look just fine.

For me, the difference is most noticeable when I play games like Bejweled. The colors look much brighter and clearer on 3/4. Also, text is clearer on any app -- just open up the same webpage on mini and a retina iPad, and if you don't notice a diff, well then, you are one of those people who'll be happy with a mini.

Why would you do that? Simply to prove the display is "crap"? It seems very strange to go find something better simply to prove the choice you've made is bad.

It's sort of like looking at and deciding a 1-series BMW is the car for you, you like the size, the appearance, the comfort and feel of it, how it drives, the gas mileage, etc., then someone comes along and says, "it's crap, the engine is so small, you'll never be happy with that engine" (always focusing on the engine, as if that's the *only* part of the car, or the only part of the car that matters).

If he thinks the mini's display isn't bad, it's because it isn't bad. If you force a comparison and in that context you get someone to agree it's not great, what's the value of that? I just don't understand this thinking.

The mini's screen I think is great, could be better, but it's great for now. It's also more than just a screen, the device is so thin and beautiful to look at and hold and feels so much more comfortable than the full sized iPad (which I used to own, loved it but always thought it was just a bit too big). For those that really like the smaller form factor, the mini is great. I'm not sure that if they could achieve the same thinness in the iPad full sized that I'd choose that, I like the smaller form factor, and the screen is just one aspect of this wonderful device.

Last edited:

Kimcha

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
I am very retina spoiled, I have an iPad 4, an iPhone 5 and a retina MBP, which I use daily and yet I love my mini and use it more and more. I even prefer it over my super awesome sharp MBP often!

The screen isn't great, but it is tolerable! It annoys me how the glass is so thick and I can see that the content is "below" the screen and the colours are not as good as my iPhone and retina MBP, but to be fair I think its the same on the iPad 4. And of course its fuzzy, especially with text, but overall it's ok.

The form factor is so much better and easier to use and hold. You can take it anywhere and it even fits into my back pocket when I need to have my hands free when I change trains.

That being said, as soon as the retina mini comes out I am upgrading. It certainly needs more ram and the retina!

liVec

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
Went to an Apple retail store today. I have never owned an iPad. So first I went to the mini, I was reading some local newspaper website. Zoomed in to the max - no pixels seen. Then I read a book for 10 minutes on it. Still couldn't see no blurriness or pixelation everyone is talking about.
Afterwards, I went to the iPad 4. The display seemed much bigger (duh), and it looked like a small laptop, was much heavier. I repeated the same procedure. You know what, I saw no difference whatsoever between the two, except that when you stick your nose into the screen and maximize the text so all you can see is 1 word, I could see a small difference between the two screens.
Conclusion: most apple users are obsessed with the word "retina". I can't imagine how one could notice the difference between mini and 4 in every day use, except if they stuck their noses to the screen trying to find the difference. Only difference I could find was that the mini has a smaller screen. Though, it is much more portable.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Why would you do that? Simply to prove the display is "crap"? It seems very strange to go find something better simply to prove the choice you've made is bad.

To clarify, I wasn't advocating that we compare the mini display to the iPad 3/4. OP asked for examples of "worst" aspects of the mini display, so I told him if he wanted to see that, then he would have to compare it to iPad 3/4. In other words, I tend to agree with you -- the mini display only looks bad if you compare it to retina displays.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Went to an Apple retail store today. I have never owned an iPad. So first I went to the mini, I was reading some local newspaper website. Zoomed in to the max - no pixels seen. Then I read a book for 10 minutes on it. Still couldn't see no blurriness or pixelation everyone is talking about.
Afterwards, I went to the iPad 4. The display seemed much bigger (duh), and it looked like a small laptop, was much heavier. I repeated the same procedure. You know what, I saw no difference whatsoever between the two, except that when you stick your nose into the screen and maximize the text so all you can see is 1 word, I could see a small difference between the two screens.
Conclusion: most apple users are obsessed with the word "retina". I can't imagine how one could notice the difference between mini and 4 in every day use, except if they stuck their noses to the screen trying to find the difference. Only difference I could find was that the mini has a smaller screen. Though, it is much more portable.

I'm not saying the mini is bad. Or even that the screen is bad. It's a cool device. I owned one. Returned it and went back to my iPad 3. But to say there's no difference between retina no non-retina is just not true. Retina blues/colors and text are much better. "clearly" better. That doesn't make the mini bad. Just not as "great" screen wise. My main problem with the mini was safari's text size was way to small for me. And I have great eyesight.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
FWIW I decided to return my Mini on a Sunday morning while reading the NYT app. My eyes felt like I had stayed up all the night...and I hadn't. It was that moment that I decided to return the Mini and wait for retina. That morning I switched back to the iPad 3 and it was like drinking from a cool mountain stream with my eyes. Now that I think about it, I spend all day staring at a not-very-high-resolution monitor and have never experienced eye strain the way I did with Mini.

Same here.... and you cannot go by the way the mini looks in the store. I originally bought a mini and ended up returning it and getting a 4 because of eye strain from reading text. I love my 4 but still like how small and light the mini is so this week I went back to best buy. while in the store i went to the mini display and started playing with it and I thought it looked worlds better than the mini I had owned. I decided to grab one and take it home hoping there had been something wron with my orginal one. well, after getting it all set up I was disappointed again and it was terrible in my opinion... I returned it and will just keep the 4 and my iphone until the mii has a better display.... There has to be a difference from the lighting in the store or something because the one on the display looks way better than both of the others I had...

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
There has to be a difference from the lighting in the store or something because the one on the display looks way better than both of the others I had...

I wonder if the brightness on the display was set at the same level. Someone posted here that stores usually turn the brightness on the display to max or close to max.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
I have played around with the mini 3 different times at Best Buy. I still could not see how people are calling the display "bad." I did notice the "calendar" app's text was very small--hard to read but not fuzzy. I looked at cnn.com, espn.com, nba.com, and the text looked great (even after zooming in)!

I don't think yahoo.com would let me zoom in though. Other than that and the calendar, I couldn't see fuzzy text, so I'm asking you all who said the display is bad: when are you finding the text fuzzy or bad(specific apps/websites)? I am asking because I am very close to purchasing one. I have read a few threads here, but I do not recall specific examples. I would like to go back to Best Buy and see your examples in person to judge for myself.

Thanks in advance.

A new review by Anandtech directly compares text on iPads:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6429/ipad-mini-review/4

Same here.... and you cannot go by the way the mini looks in the store. I originally bought a mini and ended up returning it and getting a 4 because of eye strain from reading text. I love my 4 but still like how small and light the mini is so this week I went back to best buy. while in the store i went to the mini display and started playing with it and I thought it looked worlds better than the mini I had owned. I decided to grab one and take it home hoping there had been something wron with my orginal one. well, after getting it all set up I was disappointed again and it was terrible in my opinion... I returned it and will just keep the 4 and my iphone until the mii has a better display.... There has to be a difference from the lighting in the store or something because the one on the display looks way better than both of the others I had...

Everyone went crazy in another thread when I explained this. Having owned iPad Mini and seeing it at Best Buy, it looks much better in the store! That's difficult to explain but it's a common experience with displays.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I wonder if the brightness on the display was set at the same level. Someone posted here that stores usually turn the brightness on the display to max or close to max.

the one at the store was on max. The problem with that is once I do it in the lower lighting at my house it is so bright it hurts the eyes. I think the lighting in the store is so bright that it blends well with the display set at full brightness... I am only guessing here, but there was no way to get either mini I had at home to look like the one in the store...I know everyone has their own opinion and perception but I can not see how someone can not think the text while looking at a website isnt fuzzy and hard to read.. You can make it better by zooming but that is not something I want to constantly do as I rarely even have to do it while viewing websites on my iphone...I really wanted to like the mini as I love the size of it and I will be the first in line when they can get the display to where it is at least comparable to my iphone or ipad...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.