Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twitterrific-icon.png
The Iconfactory, the developer of Twitterrific and Flare for Mac, has released a major update of its Twitter client for iOS. Twitterrific 5 debuted the App Store tonight and features a completely redesigned interface, themes and font customization, cross-device synchronization, and more.

As in previous versions, Twitterrific offers all of the basic Twitter client functions like timeline browsing, access to mentions and direct messages, search, and list access. New features include two themes, Light and Dark, that can be switched manually or done automatically at 7:00 am and 7:00 pm every day. Twitterrific 5 also offers five font choices and nine font sizes, as well as control over line spacing.

twitterrific-5-large11.jpg
twitterrific-5-large2.jpg

Cross-device synchronization is available through Apple's iCloud service or Tweet Marker. Unlike previous versions, Twitterrific now does not include advertising and offers multiple account support without the need for an upgrade via in-app purchase, though the app is no longer a free download. Twitterrific 5 is available now and costs $2.99, which is a special introductory price in celebration of its launch. [Direct Link]

A review and video of Twitterrific 5 are available at our sister site, AppShopper.

Article Link: The Iconfactory Releases Twitterrific 5 for iOS with Redesigned Interface

njr140

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
Why are there different twitter apps and why are they paid apps? Is there something wrong with the normal one?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Why are there different twitter apps and why are they paid apps? Is there something wrong with the normal one?

I don't even remember the original Twitter app, I don't think there was even one? Gosh, it's so long ago. Twitterrific, Tweetie, TweetDeck, UberTwitter, Seesmic, HootSuite, and Echofon (TwitterFon back in the day) were the original big guys back when there was only the iPhone 2G. So that's kinda where it all started.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007

You think there is a lot of apps for Mac and iOS?

Back when WebOS was still in beta, there were HUNDREDS of developers applying for the beta program submitting their justification of building a Twitter app. :)

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey

The regular app has sponsored posts, something that I don't like seeing. Also twitter bought out Tweetie and ruined it so much. It also lacks muting (blocking people/hashtags for varying lengths of time).

As for charging people, twitter recently changed developer rules to limit new licenses so developers need to charge to make their development costs back.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT

The "normal" one *was* one of those "so many different Twitter apps" until Twitter bought it. It used to be called Tweetie. It wasn't the original Twitter app for iOS, either. Twitteriffic was. Twitteriffic was an app for jailbroken original iPhones before Apple even supported third party apps. Twitteriffic (on Mac) introduced a ton of things taken for granted now, including the word "tweet" and, IIRC, a bird as mascot for Twitter.

In short Twitter owes a whole lot to all the third party apps out there.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
They should have drop the price to $.99 for a couple of days.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Unlike previous versions, Twitterrific now does not include advertising and offers multiple account support without the need for an upgrade via in-app purchase, though the app is no longer a free download.

True but then you add this nice screenshot with, wait, advertisement.;)

Attachments

• twitterrific-5-large11.jpg
    twitterrific-5-large11.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 252

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
This looks great and all, but I paid $10 for the first twitterrific and now that app no longer works and every few months CHockenberry wants some more money out of us, so he takes his app out of the store, redoes the style (but doesn't expand functionality) and asks for more money. Ugh

4D4M

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2005
Broken Britain
This looks great and all, but I paid $10 for the first twitterrific and now that app no longer works and every few months CHockenberry wants some more money out of us, so he takes his app out of the store, redoes the style (but doesn't expand functionality) and asks for more money. Ugh

Exactly right, this company is totally sleazy. I paid for an ad-free experience but then they upgraded the app and wanted more money from me. What a rip-off, I won't touch any of their products ever again.

Tacitus

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2004
UK
Nice improvements, but I still think Tweetbot is the best.
You may be right, but at £13.99UK it's way overpriced. Half that would still be expensive compared to other Twitter clients.

The real disaster was when Twitter bought out Tweetie and proceeded to ruin it.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i still think Echofon is the most reliable one with sync and push plus its free. been using it since iPhone 3G

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Really nice app but I won't leave tweetbot until there is built in push support.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Urgh. Putting the time indicator underneath tweets wastes so much space, and the top bar is now way too crowded. Plus with the iPhone 5's length moving controls that used to be easily reachable at the bottom of the screen up at the top seems like a negative step.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I bought it against my better judgement. I can't say I would recommend it to anyone when Tweetbot is a million times better.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
I almost never post on Twitter. I just use it to read posts. I looked at the new Twitteriffic 5. I think I prefer the look and style of the earlier Twitteriffic 4. Probably just because I'm used to it. The new one looks great for people who interact a lot more. Both very well made. Props to IconFactory for making great looking software!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.