Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Typing with with one hand on Note II? You must be a giant.

It has a feature to make the keyboard smaller and there's a gap next to it either on the left or right, you choose.

Galaxy-Note-II-6.jpg

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have Swiftkey, but I'm not sure what the big deal is. I understand it's suppose to adapt and learn as you use it more. I haven't even bother to install it on my Galaxy Note 2.

I use swype in the past and just couldn't get use to it. However, I'm trying it out again with my Note 2 and do find myself using it more. Usually it's because I'm too lazy to type. I don't think I'm any faster with swype than typing. With swype, it's difficult for me to build muscle memory because your fingers/hands are always relative to the previous key you press. I guess it's possible to build up some muscle memory with common words you often type.

Yes, I'm using swype more now. Not because it's faster, but because I'm just lazy sometimes.

I dont know why you bother with any Android device, because you can't seem to find anything that you are happy with either with the device or the software. My advice to you is to use an iPhone and an iPad/iPad Mini.

Last edited:

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Typing with with one hand on Note II? You must be a giant.
I'm 6'2 and have bigger hands and love typing one handed on the note 2 keyboard. wife is 5'3 and she loves the one hand keyboard feature on note 2 as well

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I think Swiftkey's prediction feature is a tad bit overrated. Yes, once in a while, it'll finish sentences for you (sometimes after inputting just the first word of your sentence) and when that does happen, it really is impressive. As I was joking earlier, it truly feels like magic. ;)

That only happens once in a while, though. Usually, if you're trying to form sentences by the prediction feature alone, it's actually slower cause you have to look at the suggestion bar and pick the correct word; when it's not correct, you have to resume typing, then checking the suggestion bar again to see if it'll get the next word right or not, etc. It actually slows the whole thing down.

But, what Swiftkey should be touted for is its auto correction. It is near flawless! I can thumb away like mad without a care if I get the letters right, and it'll just know what I mean to say. Truly something else. All its customizable features are great too (changing keyboard sizes, keyboard skins, changing the duration of long press).

It's an app that is worth every penny. (I happened to have gotten it on sale many months ago for 99 cents). And it's infinitely better, miles better, an ocean of a difference better... than the iOS keyboard.

----------

This has always puzzled me about iOS.

In a UI that otherwise emphasizes the ability to change onscreen buttons to suit the situation, the fact that the iOS keyboard characters don't change case with the shift key, is jarring and slows me down at times.

Wonder if there's some patent involved.

Yeah, I don't get that. At all.

I also don't get why they don't allow long press to gain access to symbols. Just a handy feature.

Classic case of Apple just not allowing any flexibility.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I dont know why you bother with any Android device, because you can't seem to find anything that you are happy with either with the device or the software. My advice to you is to use an iPhone and an iPad/iPad Mini.

Blah blah blah..

I'm pretty sure I was comparing typing to swiftkey and swype.

Why bring up iPhone or iPad/iPad Mini when I didn't even mention it?

Projecting much?

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Blah blah blah..

I'm pretty sure I was comparing typing to swiftkey and swype.

Why bring up iPhone or iPad/iPad Mini when I didn't even mention it?

Projecting much?

Nope, having read your other posts its obvious what you are doing.

Projecting much? Try using it in the correct context next time.

Blah, blah, blah all you like, I wont waste my time by responding to your posts again, I'm sure Im one of many to have you on my ignore list.

Last edited:

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
I get it people. iphone sucks. Android is so cool. God forbid now even on an Apple's fans' forums you cant escape the "cool" Android people. And this is from an ex Android fan.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Nope, having read your other posts its obvious what you are doing.

Projecting much? Try using it in the correct context next time.

Blah, blah, blah all you like, I wont waste my time by responding to your posts again, I'm sure Im one of many to have you on my ignore list.

You are obviously projecting your own insecurities about the Android platform.

Why else bring up iPhone or iPad/iPad Mini when I didn't even mention it?

The Note 2 is the 5th Android device I've own. What makes your opinion about Android more valid than mine?

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
You are obviously projecting your own insecurities about the Android platform.

Why else bring up iPhone or iPad/iPad Mini when I didn't even mention it?

The Note 2 is the 5th Android device I've own. What makes your opinion about Android more valid than mine?

daveathall said:
My advice to you is to use an iPhone and an iPad/iPad Mini.

So are you disagreeing with what I said? Are you saying that you wouldn't be best going back to an iPhone and iPad? Is that what you are saying?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
So are you disagreeing with what I said? Are you saying that you wouldn't be best going back to an iPhone and iPad? Is that what you are saying?

Why must I choose sides? Why must I choose one platform or the either?

I don't have issues with using multiple platforms.

If I want to use multiple platforms, it's my choice and decision to choose what's best for me in what situations.

What can't I use my iPhone as my main phone and my Note 2 as my PDA?

Why can't I keep and use my iPhone, iPad, Note 2, Windows laptops, Mac laptops, Windows desktops, Mac Desktops, PS3, xbox and so forth as I please?

If I prefer my Mac, should I get rid of my Windows machines?
If I prefer my xbox, should I get rid of my PS3?

Stop taking this thread off topic.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
daveathall said:
My advice to you is to use an iPhone and an iPad/iPad Mini.

Isn't that what you are doing though?

Well. I have an iPhone 4S and iPad Mini.

I just got a Note 2 about 2 weeks ago. Been using it as my main phone in the last 2 weeks to give it a fair shake. About to go back to my iPhone 4S as my main phone.

Why did you object to my initial post when I advised you to do what you were going to do anyway? Why did you attack my post (you know, blah blah blah)? What part did you disagree with?

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Anyone else excited about Swiftkey Flow?

It's like Swype/Gesture typing except you don't ever have to lift your finger. In other words, you swipe sentences as oppose to words.

As a Swiftkey user, I'm hella excited.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Anyone else excited about Swiftkey Flow?

It's like Swype/Gesture typing except you don't ever have to lift your finger. In other words, you swipe sentences as oppose to words.

YouTube: video

More features:

YouTube: video

As a Swiftkey user, I'm hella excited.

If you sign up on their forums you are supposed to get a Swiftkey Flow beta license before everyone else.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I truly do miss Swiftkey since I came back to iOS with the iPhone 5 from the Razr Maxx. The predictions and corrections get better and better the more you use it. That said, for a standard qwerty keyboard, the accuracy and responsiveness of the iPhone's keyboard has always been top notch.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Not sure. I got an email from them saying the beta will open very soon.

Ah that sucks I thought it was out already. I got really excited to try this out :p

I wonder if tapping will be just as good when swiping is combined. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edit: I'm also curious to know if we can change the colour of the trail.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I wonder if tapping will be just as good when swiping is combined. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I was concerned about this when I saw Gesture Typing for the stock Jelly Bean keyboard, but having used it for a bit, it's seamless. You tap, it taps; you swipe, it swipes. Very flawless. I think the folks at Swiftkey can pull off the same.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I was concerned about this when I saw Gesture Typing for the stock Jelly Bean keyboard, but having used it for a bit, it's seamless. You tap, it taps; you swipe, it swipes. Very flawless. I think the folks at Swiftkey can pull off the same.

I hope so. I agree the new stock keyboard works great and I've been using it for a few days now because it has both swiping and tapping. I had to change the auto correction to very aggressive though.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for Swype so I'm hoping Swiftkey doesn't end up like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.