Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karino1

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Hi All,
I cancelled my original order 27Inch 6 months ago because of rumors of new IMacs.
Anyway, Im confused about Memory 16gb or 32gb, 1 tb Fusion or 3tb. I thinks I will go with 3.4gb i7 and graphic 680mx 2gb.

I currently have a 5 yr old PowerBook G4 ..upgraded to Leopard. Well, overdo for a new computer. Also have iPad 1,

I will be mainly using it for video editeding, Youtube posting, photography ..currently have 4000 pics.. Will take Photography class in the summer. Other use will be...adding later iTV, office work, and basic use.

I've been frustrated with my current computer limitations I want to make sure I'm making a good decision. Thanks for the feedback.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Take the standard RAM configuration and add RAM yourself for much less, as 16 GB via two 8 GB modules can be had for less than 100 USD, thus 32 GB can be had for less than 200 USD, the amount of money Apple wants from you for simply getting 16 GB RAM. The 400 USD you save from buying 32 GB aftermarket can be put towards the 3 TB Fusion drive or an external Thunderbolt HDD to house your videos and photos or for backup purposes.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Get the standard 8gb and upgrade the ram yourself. Get a 1tb fusion if you plan on using boot camp. The rest looks good.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Congrats on finally getting a new machine! :) I started waiting myself, but I bailed out in march. And very happy with that.

Anyway, like its been said. Add RAM yourself, so go with the least. In regards to storage - it depends on how you are going to use it in the future. 1tb fusion seems enough since YOUR computer will have USB 3.0 *bitter*

karino1

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Take the standard RAM configuration and add RAM yourself for much less, as 16 GB via two 8 GB modules can be had for less than 100 USD, thus 32 GB can be had for less than 200 USD, the amount of money Apple wants from you for simply getting 16 GB RAM. The 400 USD you save from buying 32 GB aftermarket can be put towards the 3 TB Fusion drive or an external Thunderbolt HDD to house your videos and photos or for backup purposes.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to go with the standard Ram..makes perfect sense. Now how easy is it to up grade the Ram myself? Sorry. I'm sure this is covered somewhere here.

I'm super excited...will place my order tonight. :) thanks for the help.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to go with the standard Ram..makes perfect sense. Now how easy is it to up grade the Ram myself? Sorry. I'm sure this is covered somewhere here.

I'm super excited...will place my order tonight. :) thanks for the help.

If you can change the batteries on your remote, you can change the RAM on your 27" iMac.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Hi All,
I cancelled my original order 27Inch 6 months ago because of rumors of new IMacs.
Anyway, Im confused about Memory 16gb or 32gb, 1 tb Fusion or 3tb. I thinks I will go with 3.4gb i7 and graphic 680mx 2gb.

I currently have a 5 yr old PowerBook G4 ..upgraded to Leopard. Well, overdo for a new computer. Also have iPad 1,

I will be mainly using it for video editeding, Youtube posting, photography ..currently have 4000 pics.. Will take Photography class in the summer. Other use will be...adding later iTV, office work, and basic use.

I've been frustrated with my current computer limitations I want to make sure I'm making a good decision. Thanks for the feedback.

Both 680MX and the i7 CPU would be an overkill for you. If you don't plan on playing modern demanding games, even the base 27" model would be very well suited for you.

A Fusion drive is pretty much a must though. I'd get a 1TB one and then store my photos/movies on an external drive.

karino1

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Both 680MX and the i7 CPU would be an overkill for you. If you don't plan on playing modern demanding games, even the base 27" model would be very well suited for you.

A Fusion drive is pretty much a must though. I'd get a 1TB one and then store my photos/movies on an external drive.

Thats so funny. I was just going to ask the question about getting the higher graphic card... Just placed the order and I did go with the 675mx 1g..and added the the external super drive, i7, 8gb, and added software...But then I started second guessing myself on the graphic card.

I'm so excited .,,.now the wait. Won't get until mid Jan. it will give some time to go about prepping to merge files from my old 2005 PowerBook G4. Guess I will be leaving a post for suggestings on that as well. Thanks for your help! :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.