Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Well what do you want? Plastic which is subject to impact damage, scratching and all kinds of issues related to that.

So far my iPhone is perfect, no problems.

And for those with bent iphones? Stop wearing ultra tight pants that show off every nook and cranny on your body. Nobody wants to see that.
Ultra tight pants on the right body, I disagree :cool:
On the typical Walmart body, agree 100% :eek:
Like your music by the way

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Actually, if we set aside the specifics of the process, all we have is conjecture and anecdotes, which is hardly factual and even less credible. Conclusions like this are then based purely on opinion and rhetoric.

Actually, there is a long, well-documented history of outlier users who either have remarkably bad luck, or are otherwise remarkably astute at finding only defective Apple products, and then repeatedly exchanging and exchanging a product that apparently doesn't meet their expectations or needs, without considering the possibility that maybe a different product from another manufacturer would suit their needs better.

There is a saying for this: the definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

Are these people really getting 5, 10, 15 or more defective iPhones in a row? I don't know because I'm not witnessing it. But the fact that after exchange number 4, 9, 14 or greater, the person still hasn't' seen fit to either wait for another production batch or go with a different product entirely is quite telling.

If that were true, Apple could've easily gone with molded plastic, which is markedly cheaper.

When one has been drinking a particular flavor of Kool-Aid for a long time, and suddenly finds themselves committing to a different flavor, they will often try really hard to convince themselves that the old flavor was sour, anyway.
I'm sure your fellow Apple Apologists are very proud of you for defending the company that _never_ does anything wrong. :eek:

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
There are two things causing this issue with the 5.

1) 6061 non-tempered aluminum is used. It's cheaper and more easily milled than tempered 6061 aluminum, which has many more times the hardness. Having a soft aluminum, even if they had used a better quality anodizing process, would still lead to the coating being compromised with scrapes, dents, etc. That aluminum is just too soft for use as a phone. It's similar to painting a piece of pine wood vs. a piece of steel-exagerated for point. The harder the base material, the tougher the finish, so to speak.

2) The anodizing process used is was very low grade. Shallow, no doubt do to costs and time constraints.

Out of interest, what is your source of the above information? Such statements, without suitable verification are quite useless and possibly untrue.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Out of interest, what is your source of the above information? Such statements, without suitable verification are quite useless and possibly untrue.

20 years in the plating business. Go find your own verification if you need it. :rolleyes:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Thank you for the insight. The aluminum of the iPhone 5 is really WAY TOO soft. I dropped the phone on my desk from a 3-4 inches height! and the corner is dented! That's crazy.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Thank you for the insight. The aluminum of the iPhone 5 is really WAY TOO soft. I dropped the phone on my desk from a 3-4 inches height! and the corner is dented! That's crazy.

God forbid dropping a phone onto a hard surface marks it! :eek:

Seems like you might be more at home with a Nokia 3310.

smellysox8

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
If we step back, setting aside the specifics of the process, the bottom line is the iPhone 5 is poorly finished & not very durable.

Sorry, people would rather argue over semantics so they don't have to address the actual problem.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
20 years in the plating business. Go find your own verification if you need it. :rolleyes:

With respect, that means nothing and doesn't answer my question. What is your source for the details regarding the grade of aluminium used by Apple?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Yeah I guess they decided to go with aluminium with the goal of making the iPhone 5 lighter.... Not to mention thinner as well.

Glass is heavier than anodized aluminium right?:confused:

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Yeah I guess they decided to go with aluminium with the goal of making the iPhone 5 lighter.... Not to mention thinner as well.

Glass is heavier than anodized aluminium right?:confused:

Quite heavier. Hence the what, 60% reduction on it?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
If we step back, setting aside the specifics of the process, the bottom line is the iPhone 5 is poorly finished & not very durable.

It can be argued that some people got "good ones that aren't scuffed or scratched" but this isn't gambling. It shouldn't be a crap shoot.

It _Is_ a real problem or it wouldn't be talked about. People don't just imagine problems. Apple is choosing to go cheap on the finish in order to make more money for themselves. They didn't "accidentally" choose this finish.

Perhaps they will do the right thing & give the next iPhone a proper finish.

In the meantime all the Apple excuse makers will defend it. Just like they denied Antennagate till the iPhone 4S was released. The improved antenna on iPhone 4S was something that Apple bragged about immediately.

Once you've been around Apple for awhile you become accustomed to their deception.

Deception? BS.

Nah, but do you expect a mil-spec phone, just because there are other degrees of anodization available??

What phone do you own?

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Phil says it's 18% thinner and 20% lighter. Significant, I guess. It's really a very light phone, sometimes I wonder if there's actually anything inside it.

No not the actual weight, I meant the actual amount of glass on the phone vs. the 4/4S

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Why that phone? Is it the one you own?

Simple reasoning:

ieH6w.jpg

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Deception? BS.

Nah, but do you expect a mil-spec phone, just because there are other degrees of anodization available??

What phone do you own?

Yes, deception is a game Apple plays.

It's a well known fact, but rarely acknowledged by the Apple Faithful.

They're far more comfortable in denial.

Do I expect mil-spec? Absolutely not.

Do I expect a high quality durable finish? Yes I do.

Phones I currently own and are activated:

iPhone 5
iPhone 4S (my fav iPhone)

Nexus 4
Galaxy S III
Galaxy Note II (my fav Android)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.