Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jprint714

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
I work as a reporter and sometime have to record phone call interviews. Is there an iPhone app that will do this - without a subscription service and without a beep alert? I welcome any other suggestions... Thanks!

jprint714

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
Thanks! But the "Voice Memo" app doesn't record phone calls. Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks for your help...

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
i am just curious, wouldn't it better to use an external recorder and hold it close to the mic?

Last edited by a moderator:

jprint714

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
i am just curious, wouldn't it better to use an external recorder and hold it close to the mic?

Well, it doesn't work really well for a number of reasons. But it would also be much easier to record conversations via an app...

----------

If someone calls you on your google voice number, you can press 4 at any time to start recording.

Thanks...but that might not work well for a number of reasons... Using a Google Voice number requires an internet connection, correction? Sometimes I don't have one (e.g., when traveling overseas). Any other suggestions?

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
No...people can call your GV number and you can have it ring your cellphone number.
Thanks...but that might not work well for a number of reasons... Using a Google Voice number requires an internet connection, correction? Sometimes I don't have one (e.g., when traveling overseas). Any other suggestions?

LordDixon

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
you can press 4 at any time to start recording.

If I’m on a phone call I can press the number four at anytime during the call and record the conversation?

I have never seen this listed as a feature on the iPhone.

(Update) I see... I missed reading part of this thread.

Last edited:

LuciousLawliet

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
I always do this when my mom scolding me about clean up my mess or he will destroy my computer hahahaha then when we talk and laugh each other I play it so she can here it ahahah

Seevee

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Can someone post a step by step instructions for getting google voice to record iPhone calls?

Seevee

dcr8832

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
FL
I work as a reporter and sometime have to record phone call interviews. Is there an iPhone app that will do this - without a subscription service and without a beep alert? I welcome any other suggestions... Thanks!

The only one that I've seen is called "Record Phone Calls" by someone called Blue Square Group. I haven't tried it (though it's tagged on my sale alert apps), but it's $9.99 on the app store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/record-phone-calls/id423341203?mt=8

Their claim: "Since iPhone software will not allow recording directly to the phone, this is the only recording app that shows you how to record WITHOUT ANY PER-MINUTE OR MONTHLY FEES."

If you end up getting it, please let me know if it's any good.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
The quality probably wouldn't be great, but has anyone tried recording with the built-in Voice Memo app while the call is in speakerphone mode?

Seevee

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
The only one that I've seen is called "Record Phone Calls" by someone called Blue Square Group. I haven't tried it (though it's tagged on my sale alert apps), but it's $9.99 on the app store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/record-phone-calls/id423341203?mt=8

Their claim: "Since iPhone software will not allow recording directly to the phone, this is the only recording app that shows you how to record WITHOUT ANY PER-MINUTE OR MONTHLY FEES."

If you end up getting it, please let me know if it's any good.

Has poor reviews.... still shopping....

Seevee

MacMilligan

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
I doubt it is possible without a sub service rerouting your calls through an external server that records the conversation. Apple suspends all 3rd party code/apps during a phone call. It may be a 1st party feature that they add in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.