Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
Hi all
I've been looking for a camera backpack recently, but don't know which one to get (or even where to look!..) so I figured I'd ask you guys!

I'm looking for a backpack type bag, that will hold a quite a bit, not only gear, but also personal items. The bag will mainly be my camera bag, but I also want it to double as a laptop bag, as I often carry both of those around.

I would like the bag to be able to hold most, if not all, of these items at the same time:
  • Canon 7D +grip
  • Canon 24-70mm f/2.8
  • Canon 70-200mm f/2.8
  • Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro
  • Tamron 200-400mm f/5.6
  • Canon speedlite 600ex-rt
  • MBP 17"
  • Chargers
  • Batteries
  • Filters
  • Cleaning kit

- Mulo

Bebel

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
While I love my Incase Pro DSLR Backpack, I don't know if it would fit that monster 17" MBP. It'd fit all the items on your list with a 15" MBP though.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Perhaps not the answer you are looking for but bags are like cameras - until you get your hands on them, its just "good on paper" so to speak.

I have good luck with a couple but they may not be right for you - Kata and Thinktank. There are so many kinds out there and some people prefer to take a regular backpack and customize it. They do this not only because of the ability to customize but it hides the fact they are carrying camera equipment.

Hope you get a chance to check out a few. The biggest frustration I have found is quick access to equipment as well as ability to as quickly store equipment. This is for regular bags and backpacks. So - depending on how you like to work, you need to figure out not just fitting in your equipment but accessibility needs.

Just my two cents.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
Incase Pro DSLR Backpack.

http://goincase.com/products/detail/dslr-pro-pack-cl58059

Looks pretty sweet. The only thing this backpack is lacking is a built in rain cover.

I like the looks of that, I am however a little discouraged. Because in the video the fit for the quick camera access and laptop looks quite tight, so I'm not sure my 7d+grip would fit.

While I love my Incase Pro DSLR Backpack, I don't know if it would fit that monster 17" MBP. It'd fit all the items on your list with a 15" MBP though.

In my experience, bags that will hold a 15" pc, will usually hold a 17" mac, so this doesn't have to be an issue

Perhaps not the answer you are looking for but bags are like cameras - until you get your hands on them, its just "good on paper" so to speak.

but, as you point out. the only way to know is to actually hold it :)

Last edited:

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
What are the requirements on security (major compartments only open from the back of the backpack) or weather proofing? For a weather proof backpack it is hard to beat Lowepro Vertex line.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
What are the requirements on security (major compartments only open from the back of the backpack) or weather proofing? For a weather proof backpack it is hard to beat Lowepro Vertex line.

Well none really. A rain cover would be nice though as my region is quite rainy.

I'm not sure if this will fit everything you need it to, but I've heard alot of great things about Pelican cases/backpacks: http://www.pelican.com/backpacks_detail.php?Backpack=U140

I've also heard good things about thinktank bags: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/camera-backpacks.aspx

@Pelican: Holy crap IP67... I wasn't planing on going scuba diving with it! :p

the thinktank streetwalker harddrive seems like it might fit the bill, despite being ugly as hell :)
I think I'll see if any of my local dealers have that one, so I can check it out. (the probably wont as they mostly only sell entry level stuff)

Feb 6, 2012
the thinktank streetwalker harddrive seems like it might fit the bill, despite being ugly as hell :)
I think I'll see if any of my local dealers have that one, so I can check it out. (the probably wont as they mostly only sell entry level stuff)

I'll second that - it is pretty ugly! They're all pretty awful looking! hehe, I hope you're able to find it, and it works out for ya.

Hberg

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Check out F-Stop. They make quality backpacks. I have the Loka with a small and medium pro ICU.

http://fstopgear.com

I have similar equipment.

Canon 7D
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8
Canon Extender EF 2x III
MBP 15"
Chargers
Batteries
Filters
Cleaning kit

chrisgayle885

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
My brother is seeking training in professional photography so needs to attend classes, school on the same day. He needs to carry his camera-kit, Batteries, filter; laptop, charger all together. So he bought this Briggs & Riley Luggage @Work Medium Executive Clamshell Backpack which he uses almost every day. I think it’s totally worth the money spent as this bag has unique, well-structured compartments to fit your Camera, lens and Laptop at the same time.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009

I have the Streetwalker Pro and it's my go to bag for a day shoot and when I don't need to lug two bodies.

This is what it basically looks like:

While a proponent of Think Tank Photo gear (see: http://www.ocabj.net/carrying-my-gear-with-think-tank-photo/), I'm pretty sure that the Streetwalker HD won't work for you considering the list of gear you want to stick in it. The number of lenses is a problem, plus the HD will hold a 15" laptop only if carrying an ungripped body (according to the TTP spec sheet). Perhaps the TTP Airport Commuter would be a safer choice.

For non-TTP options, Lowepro and Kata are solid.

But carrying all that camera gear and a laptop in a backpack, to me, though, isn't ideal. I used to have a LowePro Vertex 300 AW. It was a massive backpack, held two gripped bodies, a ton of lenses, a laptop, and the kitchen sink. But all that in a backpack was just too unwieldy.

I ended up selling that backpack, and went smaller. I realized that if I were going to carry a laptop with my camera gear, it would either be just for just casual photo shooting or for a trip where I need to edit on location or on the road.

For casual shooting, I could just stick with a body and a lens which means a messenger bag would work.

For the latter, I would be better served with a roller bag (which is where my Think Tank Airport International comes into play).

Last edited:

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
I've been using this for the last month or so. My only regret so far, as that it only holds 1 tripod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...5_DKS_25_Photo_SLR_Laptop_Sling_Backpack.html

I have carried a Canon DSLR with battery grip with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens, along with 5 lenses, flash, a Vixia video camera, and about 15 assorted batteries, and power adapters, an iPad, and 15" mbp. The bag is rated to hold 17" laptop. Next size up for me would be a roller bag.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I currently use a Tenba Large Messenger, which can fit a 17" laptop.
It has space, but in my opinion it could have more without any complaints from me :)

It holds:
Canon Rebel T2i w/ battery grip
MBP 15"
24-70 f/2.8L
70-200 f/2.8L IS II
18-55 kit
2 extra batteries and 1 extra memory card
MBP charger
2 graphing calculators
school supplies (1" worth of folders and paper)
pens and pencils

It's a squeeze, especially with the battery grip, but it's very stylish and comfortable.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
just a quick update - still looking... :(

any recommendations on this one?

A friend of mine has the Expedition 8. It's basically the same bag as the Lowepro 300 AW I used to own. Translation: It's HUGE.

But it's high quality and will carry all the gear you listed in your original post, and then some.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
just a quick update - still looking... :(

any recommendations on this one?

I have the Expedition 7.

I love it.

It holds all my Canon gear at once (save the 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 Bigma), it's comfortable to wear while hiking, it'll hold two tripods (if your back can take it) and it's quite weatherproof (I've used it in downpours).

But, I also have a pair of J-1 bags, an FX-5B and a couple of Pelican cases -- whichever gets the job done.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
A friend of mine has the Expedition 8. It's basically the same bag as the Lowepro 300 AW I used to own. Translation: It's HUGE.

But it's high quality and will carry all the gear you listed in your original post, and then some.

well that should fit the bill then ehh? :p

Yesterday I got an email from ThinkTank, with news about a backpack that looks very interesting. It seems to be a Kickstarter project. I'm not in the market, so I didn't chase down details.

It does look nice, i'm just not sure about it, not that I am about any bag? :p

saw that yesterday too, looks expensive as hell...

For the OP what about the Think Tank Airport Series.

I did look at those when they were first announced (thats how long i've been looking :eek: ), I do do the airport thing a bit :) it just doesn't look very comfortable.. at all

Joseph Farrugia

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Malta (EU)
I own a number of bags,

I can't reccommend this backpack enough:

$T2eC16RHJG8E9nyfnTutBQUo4IrkIQ~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-L-Gre..._Photographic_Accessories&hash=item3f1c60c6cd

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I like the Pelican backpack. Their other cases have served me very well, and I don't want to have to worry about my gear being tossed around by airport staff sometimes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.