Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I bet the press (Namely the Daily Mail) will twist it round somehow.

I can see it now:

"Apple Makes 1000 Chinese Workers Redundant"

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Would the Mac Pro make sense as a line to be made in the US? It is a fairly small line by units, it is the "big boy" so good for national pride, and it is probably one of the easier to manufacture.

Americans, would you be more inclined to "go pro" if it were made in America?

The Mac Pro makes a lot of sense. It's already often ordered in custom configurations, making it closer to its main market would make that easier. It's also the highest cost machine they sell, making the impact of labor costs much less of an issue.

That said, a consumer oriented line, like the iMac makes a lot of sense too. It's great PR for Apple, but the average person who would be swayed toward the product as a result isn't going to be in the market for a Mac Pro.

Eventually I can see them moving all Mac Production to the US and this just being a first step. They're all low volume products compared to iOS, and carry generous margins.

Many American consumers would prefer to buy US made products, there simply aren't any right now. It would help the Mac bite off a larger piece of the US PC market, especially with Windows being in a transition period at the moment.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
abomination.

Apple's love of flash memory could drive a new type of pro machine; more power supply and cooling for dual Xeon's and memory, plus a PCIe stack. TB and internal SSD slots replace harddrive trays.

Smaller,cooler, quieter and more expensive will be the end result.

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
Some of the sell off is due to the impending fiscal cliff and the increase in taxes on investment income as a result of the ACA.

No, it's because Apple lost to Nokia who gained an exclusive contract with the largest phone company of the world (yes, of the world!): "China Mobile". That's 700 mio customers having access now to Lumia 920T (and not iPhone).

You haven't heard the news, now haven't you? :rolleyes:

jasonv1

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
Possible reason - federal sales

Some federal agencies require hardware to be manufactured in the US for security reasons (I don't know which specifically).

Cisco has a manufacturing (well, assembly) facility in the US just for this purpose; I think it is in Texas.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Assuming the Mac Pro lineup is not killed off, manufacturing the 2013+ Mac Pro in the U.S. would yield substantial savings on shipping weight and cost (for those Mac Pros sold in the U.S, that is).

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
It would have to be a smaller scale product, if it were exclusively manufactured in the US, so I'm guessing Mac Pro.

Pretty sure it's iMac... which is still small scale when compared to iPads or iPhones.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Some federal agencies require hardware to be manufactured in the US for security reasons (I don't know which specifically).

Cisco has a manufacturing (well, assembly) facility in the US just for this purpose; I think it is in Texas.

It's funny how China is planning on dumping Cisco because its made in America for "national security"- what goes around comes around? ;-). I just find it funny and had a chuckle.

dgreene196

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Excellent news.

I do however, take this with a grain of salt. This is production of a product line that is in decline after all. That is, a decline in the overall desktop and notebook market despite the success of the Mac. I will be far more impressed if Apple were to bring iOS device production back to the US.

Was iOS device production ever in the United States to begin with? I wasn't aware of it.

thatdrh

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I would guess the Mac Pro as well. They couldn't make enough money on any other product. Plus the high price of the Mac Pro combined with technology that's usually out dated when people get them...lol. Those bastards are making a killing... Why not employ more Americans.... Help out the ones they're bending over!

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
I applaud the effort. To be honest, I feel that $100m is a drop in the bucket, but here's to hoping that number increases over time and creates even more jobs.

Drop compared to Apple fortunes but at least 10 large companies could be seeded for $100m.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
No, no, no guys

Apple had to move their new Mac product to the US as Samsung has already beat them to it:

Attachments

• RyXRCl.png.jpeg
    RyXRCl.png.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 72
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.