Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Maps in iOS 6.0 absolutely blows. And that is my gentile way of saying it. It is the worst Apple app that I can remember. Apple better let Google Maps app back on the iPhone or a lot of people will never upgrade. Who cares about the directions or a fly over view. Maps app cannot perform the basic integrated search that Google maps was great at doing.

Maps absolutely sucks. Wonder why Apple's stock is so depressed? Look no further.
Lots of people disagree with you. I've used it and it certainly doesn't "blow". Many people DO like directions and the fly over view. Just because you don't doesn't mean that the whole thing is a pos. Maybe to you, and you're entitled to your opinion though.

Some people get so worked up over nothing.

Besides when Google relases it's iOS maps app, you can be happy again.

cammonro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
Customers want iOS and Mac OS X to work together seamlessly, not to be the same, but to work together seamlessly.

Nice to hear Cook come out and address this issue. I know I've been more than a little concerned.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Good Job Cook!

"You have to be an A-plus at collaboration. And so the changes that we made get us to a whole new level of collaboration."

We fired the people who didn't work well with others.

I think Cook was right on; organizational culture is more important than most people think and it only takes a few bad apples to spoil everything. Also, with as much money as Apple is paying it's top execs they SHOULD be A-Plus in all areas including collaboration.

Having the right people on board is super important which leads to a good business maxim: be quick to fire, slow to hire. This doesn't mean to "can" people that make mistakes...what it means is to take your time to hire the right people and if you find that they aren't right for the organization then you get rid of them fast before they poison your organization's culture and force the good people out.

Last edited:

cammonro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
If it wasn't for Scott Forstall none of us would know what the word skeuomorphism means. And for that we should all be truly grateful.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!

hahaha but seriously add Tim Cook to that picture, some good minds there.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Unusual to hear an Apple CEO be this open about internal company affairs and people being forced to leave the company. But I assume it's to give that extra nudge to Apple stock. Apple usually doesn't comment on these kind of matters if it doesn't help them. But if there's one thing the stock market dislikes, it's uncertainty surrounding major moves within a company. I don't doubt that some of the recent stock tumbles are effects of questions being raised in the wake of the recent shakeup. A bit like "Oh, wow... OK. So now what will happen?" So while I may be biased here, I do think this interview is a smart move by Cook, and probably calculated.

No question about it and frankly does it not make you feel better as a stock holder to have the belief that the company is on the right path for more success. Both on a PR front and a management front this is a very good move. You want senior leaders to collaborate as a team and NOT some dictatorship with the head guy just pushing folks buttons on his beliefs. Not one of these 4 guys at the leadership can do all 4 jobs effectively. So collaboration as a team with the same goals in mind are what it takes to succeed. Now since they did that than use it as good PR as well. Frankly pretty damn smart.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Frankly, I don't blame Forstall for NOT signing that lame apology letter. He would have been forced out anyway so why should he do a public humiliation on top of it?

Apple Maps is pretty good. Yes there were a few problems but that's to be expected. It was senior management's decision to sever ties with Google Maps and rush out a new product. Then Eddy Cue fires the manager in charge of Apple Maps. Heads must roll I suppose.

Apple seems like a pretty political place right now, people jockeying for position and throwing enemies under the bus. Looking at those photos, diversity does not exist anywhere near the reigns of power.

I just hope that in the post-Jobs era, under Tim Cook, Apple manages to continue being successful.

Diversity should happen and not be based for the sake of it. I say this even though I am not white. Talent should win to get and make the best.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
We don't subscribe to the vision that the OS for iPhones and iPads should be the same as Mac.
I don't agree with this. iOS so far is only good for COMICS:D, games, movies, music and web. I want mobile productivity. Unfortunately I'm going to have to go back to windows for that. MS is not there yet but when they are I'll be switching back.

Right now the ipad compliments your laptop and PC. I want it to replace it some day.

Technology has to move forward or you will be left behind again Apple.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Diversity should happen and not be based for the sake of it. I say this even though I am not white. Talent should win to get and make the best.
I assume that you are not male either? ;)

There are many talented people that don't get to make it to the top. And NO, diversity doesn't "just happen".

Besides I was simply making an observation.

Face it, without Steve Jobs (half Syrian, half Swiss) those talented people wouldn't even be working at Apple today since it would have gone belly up 12 years ago.

The "talented" people that took over Apple and kicked Jobs out ran the company into the ground.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I think they need some females on that team... maybe that will help with the collaboration efforts, then we'll see some real change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.