Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Wow at some of the reactions here. OP wants to be able to use a mouse, even justified yourself and you still call him crazy.

Yup, typical fanboyism. Those folks would be the first to shout "I cannot live without an external BT mouse" if Apple introduced mouse support. (They won't.)

----------

I want a stylus like the s-pen on my Note 2.

I want to draw and take notes with a stylus.

You can use the stylus just like a mouse.

Me too. It'd be GREAT for, say, PDF reading & annotating. (Of course Apple won't introduce it either. It's too "professional" and they only cater for non-pro folks.)

----------

The reason Apple doesn't support mice on iPads is because that's a whole other level of interaction that would need to be added to iOS. It would please a fraction of a percent of users.

Yup, Apple won't implement something that is needed by a fraction of their users. See for example the fate of the 17" MBP.

So it's just not smart on Apple's part. The times I need a mouse on my iPad are almost zero. When I have used it as a word processor, I could perhaps use a mouse. But I also know plenty of keyboard shortcuts that allow me to jump around, leaving just button-mashing as a need.

Mouse would be essential for remote desktop access. I very frequently use my BT mouse with my JB'n iPad 3 with remote desktop access apps like LogMeIn. It REALLY helps.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
The reason Apple doesn't support mice on iPads is because that's a whole other level of interaction that would need to be added to iOS. It would please a fraction of a percent of users.

So it's just not smart on Apple's part. The times I need a mouse on my iPad are almost zero. When I have used it as a word processor, I could perhaps use a mouse. But I also know plenty of keyboard shortcuts that allow me to jump around, leaving just button-mashing as a need.

I'd rather iOS 7 support multiple accounts than a mouse. Hell, I'm still waiting for native Blu-ray support on Mac OS. I think we'll both be waiting for a looooooong time.

the reason why apple doesn't introduce cursor control to the iPad has nothing to do with percentage of users who want it. it solely has to do with cannibalization of their 13" Macbook line. so many people wouldn't bother to purchase the base model 13" Macbook if the iPad had cursor control and a file system. heck, even throw in multiple iOS profiles as you suggested. with a little tweaking of iOS features, i would propose the hypothesis that for the majority of 13" Macbook base model owners that going with a Macbook was actually overkill

see where i'm getting at? it's about product cannibalization...not what apple thinks consumers want or don't want

----------

Mouse would be essential for remote desktop access. I very frequently use my BT mouse with my JB'n iPad 3 with remote desktop access apps like LogMeIn. It REALLY helps.

yeah same here!

i have a jailbroken iPad 3 with BTC Mouse and trackpad installed. i have the Kensington ProFolio 2 and a Microsoft BT mouse. it is the ultimate laptop replacement "post-PC" device setup. i use it at work, on business trips, and yes...even in coffee shops like Starbucks. so many people come up to me and ask how did i create that setup. i tell them about jailbreaking and the BTC Mouse app.

the only reason apple won't allow this is product cannibalization. if iOS could be tweaked for a native file system, multiple profile support, and cursor control, for a substantial number of people it would make the Macbook an overkill device. they would opt to buy the iPad instead of the Macbook and that would be a disaster for Apple.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
the reason why apple doesn't introduce cursor control to the iPad has nothing to do with percentage of users who want it. it solely has to do with cannibalization of their 13" Macbook line. so many people wouldn't bother to purchase the base model 13" Macbook if the iPad had cursor control and a file system. heck, even throw in multiple iOS profiles as you suggested. with a little tweaking of iOS features, i would propose the hypothesis that for the majority of 13" Macbook base model owners that going with a Macbook was actually overkill

see where i'm getting at? it's about product cannibalization...not what apple thinks consumers want or don't want

----------

yeah same here!

i have a jailbroken iPad 3 with BTC Mouse and trackpad installed. i have the Kensington ProFolio 2 and a Microsoft BT mouse. it is the ultimate laptop replacement "post-PC" device setup. i use it at work, on business trips, and yes...even in coffee shops like Starbucks. so many people come up to me and ask how did i create that setup. i tell them about jailbreaking and the BTC Mouse app.

the only reason apple won't allow this is product cannibalization. if iOS could be tweaked for a native file system, multiple profile support, and cursor control, for a substantial number of people it would make the Macbook an overkill device. they would opt to buy the iPad instead of the Macbook and that would be a disaster for Apple.

I don't agree with any of this.

Apple have never been afraid of canalising themselves, the iPod to the iPhone, the iPod Nano, the iPad mini, the 11" Macbook air...

You should read Isaac Walter's book on Steve Jobs, and how Apple have never minded cannibalising their own products.

They don't add a file system or mouse support to the iPad because it is a different device that does different things.

Adding a file system and a mouse wouldn't make it a real Post PC device, it would just make it a PC.

The moment Apple adds a file system to the iPad it will die.

It's great that you've jail broken your iPad, added a mouse and it's working for you and how you work, that’s great. But you are a rare case.

Pretty soon, maybe even 2013, Apple will sell more iPads than Laptops anyway, so your argument isn't valid. Tablets will destroy the laptop industry, they already are, ask Dell and Sony.

Last edited:

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
It would definitely be neat, but think of who we're talking about here. Apple has an idea of how the iPad should be used. It's what they do with all of their products, try and maintain full control of the experience. Using a mouse does not fit that experience and therefor probably will never happen.

MacBook Air? Refurbs can be picked up for really cheap these days.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Threads like this just remind me that there are people out there that are not ready, willing or able to move forward with technology.

Those people that use their iPads with keyboards, that's great and obviously Apple and the 3rd party vendors made it possible, but what you're really doing is simply trying to use the iPad as a smaller form factor laptop. And why does anybody use a mouse with a laptop - other than PC users given the trackpad on most PC's suck. A mouse simply adds an additional hand movement away from the keyboard and screen.

It wasn't designed to be a laptop given the entire os was built around touch. The answer is pretty simply as to why Apple didn't build in bt mouse functionality, even if you don't like the reason.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I don't agree with any of this.

Apple have never been afraid of canalising themselves, the iPod to the iPhone, the iPod Nano, the iPad mini, the 11" Macbook air...

You should read Isaac Walter's book on Steve Jobs, and how Apple have never minded cannibalising their own products.

They don't add a file system or mouse support to the iPad because it is a different device that does different things.

Adding a file system and a mouse wouldn't make it a real Post PC device, it would just make it a PC.

The moment Apple adds a file system to the iPad it will die.

It's great that you've jail broken your iPad, added a mouse and it's working for you and how you work, that’s great. But you are a rare case.

Pretty soon, maybe even 2013, Apple will sell more iPads than Laptops anyway, so your argument isn't valid. Tablets will destroy the laptop industry, they already are, ask Dell and Sony.

adding a file system and cursor support would not make the iPad a PC, it would make it a more functional tablet. how would the iPad die if it has a file system? according to you logic, Android tablets would have already died off but last time i checked their market share is growing.

there is cannibalization within product family and then there is cannibalization across product family. it's the latter that apple is trying to avoid.

i may be a rare case b/c i have actually taken the steps to jailbreak the iPad, but it is not rare for iPad users to desire cursor input. i see it all of the time - people trying awkwardly to use their iPads as laptops. while the iPad was not designed to be a laptop replacement, consumers are trying to make it one since the benefits of an iPad over a regular laptop are numerous - battery life, size, weight, instant-on, excellent cloud-syncing, and the fact you don't have to deal with a full blown OS. adding a file system in iOS would not crush performance, it would not introduce glitches, it would not "kill" the iPad experience. in fact jailbreaking my iPad has done NONE of these things and has made my iPad even more functional and even more useful

regarding the sales numbers of iPads vs Laptops - your comment actually supports my argument. as more and more people ditch their laptops and move to tablets, they realize how many shortcomings the iPad has over their regular laptop which they are attempting to replace. they will start to demand certain features ported over to make the transition easier. cursor support being one of them, and some sort of native file system. it happened with Android, and eventually it will happen with iOS when Apple has figured out a way to protect profits.

you act like cursor support and a file system would be destructive to the iPad. you realize cursor support (just like adding a bluetooth accessory) is an optional feature that doesn't have to be utilized by the user. if you think throwing in the ability for optional cursor support is a stupid idea, then you must feel the same way about a BT wireless keyboard. however, that's a rather popular accessory and sells very well (Logitech Ultrathin, Kensington KeyFolio, and ZaggFolio). with a few lines of code, apple could allow cursor support then it would be up to you whether you want to use it or not. would you rather have that freedom or would you prefer if apple continues to dictate to you how they want you to use their product and prevent you from using it in any other creative way.

steve jobs, during one of his many discussions on the development of the iPad, said that reaching across a keyboard to touch a screen is an awkward movement. so going with a tablet solves that problem since the user can hold the entire experience in their hands. well guess what, having an optional mouse or trackpad built into a case also solves that problem and allows the user to keep the iPad on the desk.

don't get me wrong, the iPad is the best tablet there is. that's why i bought it. but i'm keen enough to recognize that it could be better and i don't just settle for what apple dictates. you might ask why i didn't buy an Android tablet then, well the reason is that apple makes a better tablet with a better experience. jailbreaking the iPad allows me to borrow features that i desire and implement them on the better more competitive device

Last edited:

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Threads like this just remind me that there are people out there that are not ready, willing or able to move forward with technology.

Those people that use their iPads with keyboards, that's great and obviously Apple and the 3rd party vendors made it possible, but what you're really doing is simply trying to use the iPad as a smaller form factor laptop. And why does anybody use a mouse with a laptop - other than PC users given the trackpad on most PC's suck. A mouse simply adds an additional hand movement away from the keyboard and screen.

It wasn't designed to be a laptop given the entire os was built around touch. The answer is pretty simply as to why Apple didn't build in bt mouse functionality, even if you don't like the reason.

the intended design of the iPad is irrelevant as consumers are trying to use it to replace their laptops all of the time and are realizing how awkward it is to do so. throwing a few lines of code to allow cursor support through a BT mouse or trackpad is a near-effortless way to make the iPad an even more functional device. we're talking about such a minor software tweak, it could be a copy/paste code.

apple wants you to think that they don't allow cursor support b/c it would negatively affect the "experience", and if you believe that you've been brainwashed. cursor support would be optional like any other bluetooth accessory. use it or don't use it. but don't complain if you don't like something that's optional - that's about as ludicrous as you accusing people of using jailbreaks of not moving forward with technology (which you did above). the irony of your accusation is comical

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...Those people that use their iPads with keyboards, that's great and obviously Apple and the 3rd party vendors made it possible, but what you're really doing is simply trying to use the iPad as a smaller form factor laptop. And why does anybody use a mouse with a laptop - other than PC users given the trackpad on most PC's suck. A mouse simply adds an additional hand movement away from the keyboard and screen.

I didn't think it needed explaining, but the OP wants to have pointer/cursor control on the ipad. That means a mouse OR trackpad.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
I use my iPad extensively with a keypad, for dozens of hours a week, and I don't miss the mouse at all. The biggest issue I have is I reach up to touch my iMac screen instead or reaching for the mouse....

rollzst

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Of course the option to use a mouse would be nice so would being able to watch flash video content and downloading content from other places apart from the app store but that is not how able want it so we must accept this. the iPad is still a mighty fine device but without these options it will never replace a computer.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
He wants to use his iPad with a mouse.

Lets all look at him and laugh.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
If you want freedom to use peripherals you should have got an Android or Surface

Elyquin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Savannah
Wasn't Apple the mouse's champion?

I copy and paste information into a database as I study. Using my finger to do the highlighting is a pain in the arse. The mouse is much better for this than any track pad.

The iPad is such a good device and a mouse would make it even better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.