Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
So your case needs: A power source, GPS (or other location capability), internet link.

Since you're outside the phone and thus limited to user space applications and Apple's restrictions on what kind of tasks can run in the background and devices that can be attached via the dock/lightning connector (without requiring a JB). Essentially, you're stuck providing your own data link since you can't easily leverage the phone's connection.

If the case's battery runs down, the GPS stops working and it can't tell where it is anymore, so the utility of this function is limited to the battery life of the case. The longer that is, the heavier it is.

The Garmin GPS tag I linked to earlier in the thread has all of these features, including its own cellular link including a $49/year service from AT&T. What exactly do you propose to do differently than it to cut the cost of the device by a factor of 5?

FWIW I've been involved in the hardware/firmware design of several "last gasp" and theft/tamper detection hardware features and they all suck.

B

Hopefully, the owner finds out it's lost before the battery on it dies, which shouldn't take long to figure out. Then, just like in Find My iPhone, you'd sign in and figure out where it is. Similar to that, but it's a case. That Garmin device you showed me can be taken off with ease as well...

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
idea seems good, but it needs a lot of work and development.

This is the thing though, anyone can come up with a good idea. People come up with good ideas every day. An idea is utterly worthless. The implementation of that idea is what counts.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
After putting some more thought into it, it doesn't seem very logical after all :/

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Perhaps you can post your reasons for coming to that conclusion.
Did further research, saw that there are other ways to prevent Location Services from being disabled. Would be expensive to manufacture and maintain a steady profit from a limited market.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
FWIW I found the G Shock article timely: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/0...tooth-low-energy-enabled-g-shock-smart-watch/

When paired with an iPhone, the Casio smart watch can automatically set its own time, alert you to incoming calls and email, and locate your iPhone from the watch.

I would think that something like this might actually be a fair alternative to your idea. A low power wearable BT device that tells you when you are being separated from your phone and helps you locate it.

Find your phone is great, but the few times I've used it to notice that my phone is home, but I still don't know WHERE at home.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.