Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rollzst

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I was watching Sky news today on my iPad as I normally do over lunch and was very surprised to notice the news reader using an iPad 1. I would have thought that they would have been using the latest iPad, especially as I am sure they will be watching video content.

I managed to snap a quick photo, its hard to tell on the photo but it is for sure an iPad 1.

photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I imagine it still functions to her needs. Why discard?

Also, iPad 1 plays video. Why do you think it does not?

If it bothers you, I'm sure she would accept a gift if you bought her a new one.

rollzst

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011

If it bothers you, I'm sure she would accept a gift if you bought her a new one.

What I mean is being a news channel they will probably be editing video content and doing RAM intensive tasks on the iPads, something the iPad 1 struggles with.

It doesn't bother me I was just surprised a company as rich as Sky still using the iPad 1!

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I've seen plenty of news anchors using iPad 1's. It's probably not their personal iPad, you know. No surprise.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I'm sure there are still tons of people out there using a first gen iPad for both professional and personal use. Not everyone is locked into eternal upgrade cycles, or need the latest to get their stuff done.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Good grief. They're not editing their videos on iPads.

Indeed.

They are probably just using them like teleprompters or cue cards. Something the iPad 1 is fully capable of doing.

Although I passed my iPad 1 on to my partner, it still gets used every day. Just because there are newer versions available, does not make the older ones no longer work. As long as it fits the needs of the news organization, why should they upgrade.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The iPads on some of these shows are essentially props. They serve little or no purpose, other than to make the show seem more cutting edge and modern when displayed.

nomade

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2006
I'm still using an ipad 1 for mail reading, occasionnal web browsing, emergency web programming, skype calling and for listening to music and while it's a bit slow still work perfectly fine :)

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
The journalist in question is just an Apple user like the rest of us. Just because you have a job like that, doesn't mean you have to upgrade to the latest and greatest. If it still works for you, that's good enough. There are probably many rich people out there who see no need to upgrade to the new version anytime soon.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Not everyone feels the urge to buy a latest incremental upgrade:rolleyes:

----------

The journalist in question is just an Apple user like the rest of us. Just because you have a job like that, doesn't mean you have to upgrade to the latest and greatest. If it still works for you, that's good enough. There are probably many rich people out there who see no need to upgrade to the new version anytime soon.

Isn't this why some people are rich in the first place?

Poor people scrimp and save for the latest and greatest, squandering their money in the process

Rich (or at leasts smart people) appreciate something that works, and doesn't feel the need to discard it at the drop of a hat

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
The iPads on some of these shows are essentially props. They serve little or no purpose, other than to make the show seem more cutting edge and modern when displayed.

Yeah, it's probably not even a working unit. Equally likely, she doesn't even know how to use it.

Regards,
Tom

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
What I mean is being a news channel they will probably be editing video content and doing RAM intensive tasks on the iPads, something the iPad 1 struggles with.

It doesn't bother me I was just surprised a company as rich as Sky still using the iPad 1!

That's what computers are for, which they have

----------

I'm still using an ipad 1 for mail reading, occasionnal web browsing, emergency web programming, skype calling and for listening to music and while it's a bit slow still work perfectly fine :)

the first ipad can do skype calling? didn't know that

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010

Which ironically for the trained eye makes them look behind in technology but as others have said even if it serves a function it's probably limited and most likely company issued. If it works why bother upgrading? Just a testament to how well Apples products hold the test of time which is pretty incredible in the ever changing tech environment,

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
My aunt still has her iPad 1, she's happy with it. I don't think news presenters do much with their iPads especially When on the job. It's mostly just a showpiece to look trendy

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
My uncle, who makes close to $1 million a year, still uses Word Perfect on an old i386 machine to create and edit documents, which he then prints on an 10+ year old printer, for his business.

He could certainly afford something newer, but he says that by NOT learning all the newest technologies, he has much more free time and more money.

He's an expert at Word Perfect, having used it for 20 years plus. He can get things done a lot faster with it. He also has an iPad 1, and thinks he will keep it for at least the next 5 years. He uses it for video and reading when he's traveling on planes, and web surfing when he's in hotels.

All his 'business' work is done on his i386 at his home office.

iPad2lover

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011

Probably because it was supplied by the news station where she works.

iPad2lover

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
My uncle, who makes close to $1 million a year, still uses Word Perfect on an old i386 machine to create and edit documents, which he then prints on an 10+ year old printer, for his business.

He could certainly afford something newer, but he says that by NOT learning all the newest technologies, he has much more free time and more money.

He's an expert at Word Perfect, having used it for 20 years plus. He can get things done a lot faster with it. He also has an iPad 1, and thinks he will keep it for at least the next 5 years. He uses it for video and reading when he's traveling on planes, and web surfing when he's in hotels.

All his 'business' work is done on his i386 at his home office.

It's not important to him. I am sure he has other nice toys he spends money on lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.