Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
For most things, he Magic Trackpad is amazing, but there a a few situations where you will want more control, in which case, any mouse or trackball will do. Logitech and Microsoft have some good, but cheap options.

Yeah... there's no reason you can't use both a trackpad and mouse simultaneously

Most of the time I use my trackpad on my Mini, but when I fire up Portal 2 I grab the logitech mouse from its charger, and certain apps that work better with a mouse (lots of clicking/dragging).

The only downside to the trackpad is that it eats batteries quickly. I've gotten into the habit of turning mine off every time I'm done using the system which really helps. I'm at about 6 months on my original set of batteries with about 60% life remaining.

My old logitech wireless keyboard (predates bluetooth) is super-efficient though. The original set of AA batteries had corroded by the time they needed to be replaced, and that's with nearly daily usage. When I retired my old Windows tower I moved that keyboard to my new Mini.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I would like to buy one but only if it has a physical switch.

So, does it have a real click or what I read somewhere pressure sensitive rubber feet.
I hate tap to click, it never seems to work with me, clicks when I don't want and visa versa.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah... there's no reason you can't use both a trackpad and mouse simultaneously

Most of the time I use my trackpad on my Mini, but when I fire up Portal 2 I grab the logitech mouse from its charger, and certain apps that work better with a mouse (lots of clicking/dragging).

The only downside to the trackpad is that it eats batteries quickly. I've gotten into the habit of turning mine off every time I'm done using the system which really helps. I'm at about 6 months on my original set of batteries with about 60% life remaining.

My old logitech wireless keyboard (predates bluetooth) is super-efficient though. The original set of AA batteries had corroded by the time they needed to be replaced, and that's with nearly daily usage. When I retired my old Windows tower I moved that keyboard to my new Mini.
A big reason why most wireless mouse and keyboard still use a proprietary RF adapter is because conventional Bluetooth is not the most energy efficient wireless technology. This may soon change now that BT 4.0 is starting to be widely adopted.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
I would like to buy one but only if it has a physical switch.

So, does it have a real click or what I read somewhere pressure sensitive rubber feet.
I hate tap to click, it never seems to work with me, clicks when I don't want and visa versa.

Yes, it has a real click, with an option to use tap-to-click if you prefer. I find the physical click to have a bit too much resistance for my taste, but perhaps it would loosen up with use.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I don't know if anyone's pointed this out yet, but you can set it up to drag by gesture. I mine set up so that three fingers will equal a drag.

Neiloid

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
Hants, UK
To drag I click the bottom left corner with my thumb and drag with my middle finger.

I got my track pad after getting my Magic Mouse and it took a while to move over to the pad but I like them equally now and use whichever is closest to hand TBH.

I love 'em both.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
sigh. I loved my magic trackpad. I got a magic mouse and put my magic trackpad somewhere along with the wand that connects it to the magic keyboard and now I cant find it. Pretty sad really considering my room is so small its about the size of a gas station bathroom. Just dont know what I did with it though. I refuse to buy another one since I know its around somewhere.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Either solution is below the experience of a Wacom. If only they could deliver the A4 (big) one at 200 bucks or so, and a little less ugly.

saha-med

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
i saw trackpads at macsales much cheaper. Their refurb keyboard is also cheap.

Anyone know if their refurb products are of good quality (although they have warranty its gonna cost me a bomb to ship it back thats why)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.