Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Jobs are very cool! I wish it was a us company profiting tho (besides apple lol).

Still I will take jobs!

And United States companies will profit. Who will build the facility? Who will be providing security? Who will be providing the food services? Who will be providing the electricity? Who will be providing them with their automobiles? Who will be providing employees with healthcare? Who will be providing employes with health insurance?

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I hope there will be an option to buy a USA made Apple on checkout. I would pay up to $50 more for a US-Made computer.

Would you...really?

People like to wave their little flag and talk about 'made in America', but 99.9% of consumers are solely driven by the absolute lowest price they can get.

I bet if there was an iMac that was $50 more that was made in the USA and one next to it that was assembled in China, people would push each other out of the way to get the cheaper model.

Not saying it's right...but that's how people are wired....

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
minimum wage jobs. still good though. teenagers need better options than fast food. working the line is a step up.

Really? There's far less room for advancement in production lines than in fast foot restaurants.

thleeal

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
American workers can't compete with Asians.
Your McDonalds and other diet related junk makes your fingers too stubby for proper quality control. Lol.

Seriously. Bad move. Not good for quality or price of production.
You have to take Into
Consideration that apple is a premium priced product. In the uk priced have risen £100.
Why should I foot the bill so that some self
Entitled Americans can get work not on their merit but on the nation they were born.
I hope this is rescinded or it brings the downfall of apple.

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
And United States companies will profit. Who will build the facility?

Chinese contractors.

Who will be providing security?

Chinese wall.

Who will be providing the food services?

Chinese restaurants.

Who will be providing the electricity?

Imported from China.

Who will be providing them with their automobiles?

Chinese car manufacturers (assembled in China).

Who will be providing employees with healthcare?

Health care? You sure must be joking :)

Who will be providing employes with health insurance?

Wearing a mask and gloves is enough whilst working amongst robot arms and other highly automated equipment with rapid moving parts and high voltage.

:rolleyes:

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Would you...really?

People like to wave their little flag and talk about 'made in America', but 99.9% of consumers are solely driven by the absolute lowest price they can get.

I bet if there was an iMac that was $50 more that was made in the USA and one next to it that was assembled in China, people would push each other out of the way to get the cheaper model.

Not saying it's right...but that's how people are wired....
Maybe, but an interesting point to bring up in an Apple forum. There are $300 notebooks, but we pay $1000 for a MBA. There are $400 D#!!! desktops, but we buy $1500 iMacs. There are MUCH cheaper alternatives to all Apple products. So, you're already paying a premium for a better product, and obviously you rationalize it certain ways. Rationalizing a 3% increase ($50 more for a $1500+ iMac) isn't that big of a leap.

Now, lets take this a different path. So, the iMac becomes an "Assembled in USA" product. Apple points this out to Federal, State and Local governments, and suddenly you'll see eyes light up. For military related products, there are federal laws that say the equipment must be Made in US for US Federal money to be spent on it. If they get this right, get Congress visibility, etc this can have huge upsides. The US Gov wouldn't even blink an eye at a $50 premium per unit for a US built computer.

Junipr

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
It might work for a while. Then unions will come in an destroy it and they will go back overseas.

I like how you frame "labor and human rights, a respectable wage, and dignity" as "unions"

fupresti

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Some people dream of robots doing all the work.

Well what will happen to the people who used to do those jobs?

So a few people at the top get to rake in $billions and the rest of us "can eat cake"?

Those people will be trained to maintain and program the robots used for assembly.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Lets just hope other companies “copy” Apple like they do with so many other things.

Lets keep in mind that Google announced they would be making their boxset top or something like that here about 6 months ago too.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Really? There's far less room for advancement in production lines than in fast foot restaurants.

Factory work almost *always* pays better than fast-food jobs, and there's plenty of room for advancement in a company with production lines.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
American workers can't compete with Asians.
Your McDonalds and other diet related junk makes your fingers too stubby for proper quality control. Lol.

Seriously. Bad move. Not good for quality or price of production.
You have to take Into
Consideration that apple is a premium priced product. In the uk priced have risen £100.
Why should I foot the bill so that some self
Entitled Americans can get work not on their merit but on the nation they were born.
I hope this is rescinded or it brings the downfall of apple.

I'm not sure there could be a more off base post than this. I'm impressed.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
The new product from Apple, JOBS.

At the next keynote, Tim will explain that the new product being released from Apple.

"We want people to keep buying our stuff, and to do that they need money. Most people have jobs that pay them with money. Here at Apple we looked very hard in to this and we think we found the solution. So we are excited to tell you that today we are releasing JOBS at Apple ... in the USA. With these JOBS, people can work and save their money to buy our products ..."

SoApple

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Foxconn employs work around the clock. 24hrs a day 7 days a week. By American standards im not sure its right and I doubt that americans would like to work those kind of shifts.
Sure it may bring jobs and who knows, it might create a boom in the american economy but are we prepared for that?
Prices are probably go up and production rate my go down.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Question remains: where are the current "Made in USA" iMacs being made?

There have been some reports of some on this site.

It must be part of Tim's quiet initiative to see how viable it can be.
Unless they can robot assembly line automate a lot of the process I don't see how higher wage US staff could compete with China staff for profitability in the manufacturing line.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
"but the company (Apple) faces major challenges if it wishes to bring operations on the scale of iPhone production to the United States."

Opportunity is what you give yourself with vision.

Apple faces limits until the day when component integration & miniaturization and robotics allow a nearly totally robotic assembled iPhone. Once that day comes, which I predict is only years away, Apple can put factories anywhere the market is located.

They could easily have factories in Asia, EU, US & South America. Geographic dispersal also assures Apple that earthquake, typhoon, revolution or fire doesn't shut down an entire product line.

It is real and it will come.

That's how Apple used to make products in the USA almost all robots. But it's cheaper to pay Chinese migrant workers to make stuff by hand then to have robots to do it. That's how messed up things really are.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Unions won't have to come in if the company treats it's people well.

Most workers don't want the hassle of dealing with union rules and fees. However if the employer treats it's people unfairly, then a good, strong union may be needed to secure bargaining rights for workers. Individual workers can't deal with the powerful, wealthy people at the top of corrupt businesses.

Also, unions will not have to come in if it's a robotic factory.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
I hope prices on their products don't rise.

You're hoping in vain. The prices will go through the roof, unless Apple are prepared to take a massive hit on the profits they make. Something I doubt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.