Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asenna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Can you use the trackpad with your index finger while leaving your thumb on it ( like how you leave your thumb on a laptop with a separate clicker and trackpad)? I just got an air and when I leave my thumb on the track pad it randomly highlights things or moves things like icons and songs in itunes if I use my index finger to point.

Do I have to lift my thumb to use the cursor or is there something up with the trackpad?

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Can you use the trackpad with your index finger while leaving your thumb on it ( like how you leave your thumb on a laptop with a separate clicker and trackpad)? I just got an air and when I leave my thumb on the track pad it randomly highlights things or moves things like icons and songs in itunes if I use my index finger to point.

Do I have to lift my thumb to use the cursor or is there something up with the trackpad?

Macs have multitouch trackpads, meaning that they recognize multiple points of contact. Having two fingers on the trackpad tells it to do something different than just having one, which includes, depending on the application: scrolling, zooming in, rotating, etc.

So just one finger on the trackpad to move to mouse around.

Alternatively, you can go into the trackpad section of System Preferences and uncheck all of the two finger gestures and see what that does.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
I just put my thumb on the bottom and left it there while using my fingers to click and scroll and I had no issues.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Use your middle finger to mouse around and then use your middle plus ring finger for two finger swiping. It feels better because those fingers are about the same length. And, you'll find that your thumb will dangle out of the way of the track pad.

ohhmaar

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Use your middle finger to mouse around and then use your middle plus ring finger for two finger swiping. It feels better because those fingers are about the same length. And, you'll find that your thumb will dangle out of the way of the track pad.

Oh my god, that's such a perfect idea lol.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA

Turn off tap to click maybe?

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I navigate with the middle finger and click with the index finger, leading to the index finger resting where the left click button usually would be on a trackpad.

In OSX there is usually no problem but when in bootcamped windows I had issues when two fingers were in contact at once.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
this works in osx but not windows. This was a huge concern of mine when they first went with buttonless trackpads. I was so happy to find that leaving your finger on the corner while navigating with your middle finger worked. thats how I use it and its been the best trackpad ive ever used since.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Yes you can leave your thumb. Sometimes I even use my thumb to move the cursor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.