Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Here's an idea. I've said this before long time ago.

Why doesn't apple just put what is in the 5 S into the 5.

Yes it's lower profits for apple but its definitely good for the consumer.

I mean my friend bought a 3G S PRIMARILY for video capture.

A couple months later I bought a .99 cent video camera app for my 3G, which btw had been rejected by the App Store before the release of the 3G S.

I really hate it when companies hold back on technology just to release it 6-9 months later. Even 12.

If I was apple maybe I'd do the same. They're a business. They're goal is to make money.

But I'm not apple. I'm a consumer. So, therefore, I don't like it.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Look at all these wonderful iPhone 5 apps pushing the new hardware that I don't have.

The 4S remains the "current" device, Apple will delay this 5S long as possible.

MAvery

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2012
I totally agree. It's the same thing with the iPad now too. All it's made me do is want to start skipping updates. What difference does it make is they put out a new product every 6 months, but it's only worth it to upgrade once a year?

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
They may just be up to a new strategy of giving variety and options to buyers as often as we are seeing with the competition.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
No that's definitely a leak everyone thinks it is

----------

It's not like I don't want the 5 S and I do plan to buy one but I just wish I had more time to enjoy my 5.

I would just like to have the latest and greatest for longer period of time like 12 months but with leaks of the 5 S it's so hard to enjoy the 5.

I have a friend with the 4 S he said he might wait till the 5 S since its already in production.

No one stopping you or anyone else from enjoying the iphone 5 for years to come. Only those that have money to burn, buy every release of the apple products.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Here's an idea. I've said this before long time ago.

Why doesn't apple just put what is in the 5 S into the 5.

Yes it's lower profits for apple but its definitely good for the consumer.

I mean my friend bought a 3G S PRIMARILY for video capture.

A couple months later I bought a .99 cent video camera app for my 3G, which btw had been rejected by the App Store before the release of the 3G S.

I really hate it when companies hold back on technology just to release it 6-9 months later. Even 12.

If I was apple maybe I'd do the same. They're a business. They're goal is to make money.

But I'm not apple. I'm a consumer. So, therefore, I don't like it.

You should go into business with your own logic and make billions of dollars.

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
I personally think the 'leaked' pictures are BS. I think they are knock offs or a previous design for the iPhone 5 and Apple tweaked it a little to better fit.

I prefer the 12 month cycle, it's perfect and predictable.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Never thought someone would make a topic on a phone that looks exactly the same as it's predecessor and call it a leak. Then I saw the thread starter

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
No that's definitely a leak everyone thinks it is

----------

It's not like I don't want the 5 S and I do plan to buy one but I just wish I had more time to enjoy my 5.

I would just like to have the latest and greatest for longer period of time like 12 months but with leaks of the 5 S it's so hard to enjoy the 5.

I have a friend with the 4 S he said he might wait till the 5 S since its already in production.

Did you read the article, or just look at the pictures. The author even believes it might not even be a leak... A leak is completely certain, not a rumor. What you have here is simply a rumor of a leak, that was ONLY posted to generate traffic, nothing more.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I prefer it that they keep pumping out high quality new phones every day if they could. I couldn't give a rats ass if I buy an iphone 5 now and 2 weeks later they release a new one. Thats just pretentiousness inside of you thats messing with your mind.

How could it possible a bad thing if they literally pump one out every week even if its incremental. You literally have more choice and you can buy a phone anytime you need or want one without having to wait another 1-8 months for the new version.

I don't get you guys. Its just insane to wish for a 1-10 year cycle.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
12 month cycle
here's why:
I like to feel like my XYZ is "new" for a reasonable amount of time. Why? Because I'm a geek and for some things, I just like having "new". I'll buy not-new stuff. From clothing (goodwill/salvation army represent) to houses, some things I just don't care if it's not new. But because I'm somewhat of a gadget-geek (I like cars too), in that realm, I want to feel like I've got something new. Call it pretentious, shallow, whatever... I bet there are things about everyone that could be deemed that way. Anyway, yes, for the iPhone, I like to feel like it's not out-dated the minute it comes out.

But why is that? Well, I think subconsiously, it's a lot of factors. Think about automobile cycles. A typical cycle is usually 4-6 years. Any longer and consumers get bored of it, see the company as stagnant, desire something new.... but have you wondered what consumers would think if the MY lifecycle got shorter? I personally think as a consumer I would be a bit put-off by a shorter lifecycle (car or iphone). I just feel like if a company pumps things out too quickly there's a (mis?)conception that devalues something. Maybe it's the conception that if something comes out really frequently that due dilligence wasn't done. R&D and planning couldn't have been carried out properly, etc.

Sort of the same thought behind pricing. If something is cheap at walmart, it's seen as such. A $20 toaster at walmart is seen as a cheap item. Put the same exact toaster (same brand or otherwise) at an appilance store for $35 and there's a perception that somehow it's a better product.

Interestingly, when the aforementioned toaster is at a high-end appliance store and the price is cut to $15 from $35, people ALSO have perceptions of that...

I think the same type of principles apply to smartphone release cycles. Whether they're genuine concepts or just misconceptions -- it just feels better as a consumer who values "newness" in gadgetry when the product release cycles are longer.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
The 5 is my first iphone (just got into the world of work so I can now afford one!) so I'm used to seeing releases without being able to buy, and I enjoy the lead up and keynote as much as I did for the 5 knowing I'd buy one. Therefore I'd be entirely happy with 6-9 month schedule.

It would mean the tech improved faster, and would probably cut down on problems and issues due to *slightly* more incremental upgrades. Any innovation would still have the same impact but improvements would be better/more frequent.

Also means people on a 2 year upgrade cycle can get a much different phone, and also won't be stuck on the so called "S cycle" or "non-S cycle".

I'd never get a contract phone (especially iphone) so I can upgrade whenever I can afford/want to :)

EDIT: I totally get the wanting something that feels new. I would never not buy the newest model of iphone, and I'd almost certainly buy it on launch day or soon after, but my 5 already feels... not old, but comfortable. New is nice, but I think the mark of a good product is that it quickly feels like it's always been there. For that reason I also don't really care about the 12 month release schedule, because by then I'll have long been used to my lovely iphone :)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Every twelve months seems like a good interval to me.

However that presents a problem at the present time.

Apple has fallen behind Samsung and other Android manufacturers by quite a wide margin. Why they took a perfectly good 4.0" display and narrowed it down is a decision I think was a mistake. It seems that many others share my perspective and find the 4.0" as "customized" by Apple as inadequate as well.

If Apple wasn't so far behind, the twelve month cycle would be fine, I just don't see how they are going to catch up, especially in the display size specification.

If they continue to cling stubbornly to a tiny display, at some point it will begin to hurt them. Currently there are still so many people in the world that want an iPhone and do not have one, that we have no true indication of just what the demand will be once all initial orders are filled.

What sells the iPhone besides the fact that it's a good phone, is it's a trendy phone. A cool phone. The phone that posers and others want to be seen with.

If you are like a lot of us and have your own identity, without having to be seen with an iPhone... then this phenomena does not apply.

Time will tell.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
No one stopping you or anyone else from enjoying the iphone 5 for years to come. Only those that have money to burn, buy every release of the apple products.

While I agree with the first bit of your comment I think that is slightly unfair. Depending on your perspective, only people who have money to burn buy apple products at all. It is no one's place to say what people can and can't spend their money on if they enjoy it, but at the same time it is short sighted and a bit childish to say you can't enjoy a product because there are RUMORS of the next version...

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Did you read the article, or just look at the pictures. The author even believes it might not even be a leak... A leak is completely certain, not a rumor. What you have here is simply a rumor of a leak, that was ONLY posted to generate traffic, nothing more.

Well there's enough evidence that it can be considered a leak

----------

Every twelve months seems like a good interval to me.

However that presents a problem at the present time.

Apple has fallen behind Samsung and other Android manufacturers by quite a wide margin. Why they took a perfectly good 4.0" display and narrowed it down is a decision I think was a mistake. It seems that many others share my perspective and find the 4.0" as "customized" by Apple as inadequate as well.

If Apple wasn't so far behind, the twelve month cycle would be fine, I just don't see how they are going to catch up, especially in the display size specification.

If they continue to cling stubbornly to a tiny display, at some point it will begin to hurt them. Currently there are still so many people in the world that want an iPhone and do not have one, that we have no true indication of just what the demand will be once all initial orders are filled.

What sells the iPhone besides the fact that it's a good phone, is it's a trendy phone. A cool phone. The phone that posers and others want to be seen with.

If you are like a lot of us and have your own identity, without having to be seen with an iPhone... then this phenomena does not apply.

Time will tell.

I also read on CNBC that Samsung will introduce a screen that is un breakable. As in it won't shatter or break if you drop it like on concrete.

I REALLY hope apple can do this too. I have never shattered a screen but the more scratch proof and shatter proof the iPhone becomes the more we can use it.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Ummmmmmmmm checkout Macrumors front page...........dude.

That seems like an old iPhone 5 prototype with space for a 45 nm chip (like used in the iPhone 4S). The iPhone 5, however, has a much smaller 32 nm chip.

I don't think it's an "iPhone 5S part" but an old prototype that used bigger 45 nm chips.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
Well there's enough evidence that it can be considered a leak

----------

I also read on CNBC that Samsung will introduce a screen that is un breakable. As in it won't shatter or break if you drop it like on concrete.

I REALLY hope apple can do this too. I have never shattered a screen but the more scratch proof and shatter proof the iPhone becomes the more we can use it.

Evidence? There is absolutely no evidence to support that the back of that case is an iPhone 5S. Literally, nothing.

There's no source. There's no definitive proof. There is no one endorsing it. What is this proof you're seeing, and literally no one else is seeing. I might have to adjust my monitor maybe, because there is no proof to support the claim that MacRumors posted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.