Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
F

Frozo.

Hello,

My contract has recently ended, and I'm now on PayG, I use to be on O2 but the reception and internet speeds were awful, I'm now on Three.

I've been looking into getting the iPhone 5, and have watched many reviews and have asked a few people on their thoughts on the phone. The reviews all seem positive about the phone, and it looks a very nice phone.

My current phone is the HTC HD7, and although its been a good phone I think it's one of the worst phone decisions I've made, the app market on WP7 is terrible, there are not many goods apps for WP7, and most are quite expensive.

The iPhone 5 is now a viable upgrade move, and by having my MBP I can sync it etc. I'm just wanting to know whether it is worth upgrading to the iPhone 5, or if there is another smart phone out there that would beat it?

I'm going to continue looking at reviews, but I would like current iPhone 5 users feedback and what they think.

Much appreciated, thanks :) :apple:

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Yes, it would be a great upgrade.

I have had an iPhone 5 for a month and a half. It is my first ever iPhone.

I switched from Android. I had a Droid X for 2 years and actually really liked the phone. I then bought a used HTC Thunderbolt so I could have 4G for a few months before the I5 came out. The Thunderbolt was a good phone, except for the battery life.

I decided to make the switch because I bought an iPad 2 back in March right after the New iPad came out and it was cheaper. I love the iPad so decided to try an iPhone.

I love the iPhone 5. Like you I did A LOT of research. There are a lot of different factors when choosing a cell phone, you mostly have to go with what features you want. About the only negative I have with the I5 is the screen size. I do wish it was a little bigger as I've been used to the 4.3 inch screen, so it took a little bit to get used to the 4 inch on the I5. I like IOS as well. Android seems to have more "bells and whistles", but for me I don't need all of that stuff. IOS is much smoother than the Androids I had in the past. It doesn't lag and everything works extrememly fast.

I've been very happy with my switch. The iPhone 5 is very, very light. I did get a case, but it's pretty thin and doesn't add much to the phone.

Good luck with your decision.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
It not about is there anything else that will beat it

If you want W7 you have a few choices.

If you want Android you have lots and lots of choices.

If you want iOS you have one choice, Apple.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
At the end of the day, it boils down to user preferences, so find out which one you like the best, buy it and be happy with it :)

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
I have the iPhone 5 and always had the iPhone since the 3G. I like it and got used to it pretty fast. Tried Droid and came back to the iPhone.

My opinion is that the iPhone does everything you need fast and easy.

F

Frozo.

Thank you all for the replies :)

After further research on reviews etc, I think I'm going to take the plunge and go for the iPhone 5 :) It's a very sleek and smart looking phone, very nice UI, very smooth and easy to use, and I like the fact of syncing with my MBP will mean I can quickly transfer pictures etc

F

Frozo.

Thank you for your other replies :D

Definitely going for the IP5 :apple:

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Frozo:

Just curious, but have you gone to a store and held the I5 and played around with it?

Just curious because if you haven't, I think you will be amazed the first time you hold it at how light and thin it is. Honestly, it was so light it almost felt "fake". I felt like I had to be extra careful with it until I got my Kay's Case so that it wouldn't break.....but in a good way I guess. Ha ha.

Good luck and hope that you like it. I know I do as a first time iPhone user.

F

Frozo.

Frozo:

Just curious, but have you gone to a store and held the I5 and played around with it?

Just curious because if you haven't, I think you will be amazed the first time you hold it at how light and thin it is. Honestly, it was so light it almost felt "fake". I felt like I had to be extra careful with it until I got my Kay's Case so that it wouldn't break.....but in a good way I guess. Ha ha.

Good luck and hope that you like it. I know I do as a first time iPhone user.

I haven't been to a phone shop as of yet, but my friend has the white version, and it looks very nice, build quality felt excellent, and indeed felt very light compared to my HTC, I'll probably got for the black (slate) version as I prefer it to the white version.

Thank you, and I hope I enjoy it too :)

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
There is no better phone than the iphone 5 in all ways including IOS the most secure mobile OS out there. The screen is amazing and the camera takes photos almost like a small camera.

If you want the best mobile phone with the best OS look no more the iphone 5 is what you need.

Also because the iphone 5 is not cheap it is the top phone you could have, people know that Android phones are cheap and because of that they know that they are not the hottest phone in the market.

Also itunes is amazing there is no better music, movies, etc, store in the world like it.

Another important thing is the app store, you can find the best apps and use them in your ipad, ipod, or any other iphones you have without paying more than 1 time your apps.

F

Frozo.

What size iPhone do people suggest?

16GB or 32GB?

I will probably be using apps, and adding some music (don't really have much music on my current phone)

I have the 16GB model of my current phone and have only used 2-3GBs, but then again the Windows app store is awful compared to Apple's.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I'm just wanting to know whether it is worth upgrading to the iPhone 5, or if there is another smart phone out there that would beat it?
Subjective matter. If you want feedback you need to be very clear what your needs/wants/etc are.

Failing that, get it, take it for a spin and decide before your return period runs out. You can read all you want but it's first hand experience that matters in the end.

What size iPhone do people suggest?

16GB or 32GB?
Again, subjective. Calculate out how much you're currently using and figure in some future growth. Since these things aren't expandable I always go with the highest capacity. You need to decide based on your usage -- not on random polling.

F

Frozo.

Subjective matter. If you want feedback you need to be very clear what your needs/wants/etc are.

Failing that, get it, take it for a spin and decide before your return period runs out. You can read all you want but it's first hand experience that matters in the end.

Again, subjective. Calculate out how much you're currently using and figure in some future growth. Since these things aren't expandable I always go with the highest capacity. You need to decide based on your usage -- not on random polling.

Needs, are general / normal use, i.e. apps, fb, twitter, instagram, tumblr apps etc, games apps, general picture taking when out and about etc. Not too much music as I usually use Spotify or Youtube. My current usage is around 2-3GB out of 16gb although it's formatted at around 14GB (HTC HD7) but then again the app store is horrendous compared to Apple's

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Needs, are general / normal use, i.e. apps, fb, twitter, instagram, tumblr apps etc, games apps, general picture taking when out and about etc. Not too much music as I usually use Spotify or Youtube. My current usage is around 2-3GB out of 16gb although it's formatted at around 14GB (HTC HD7) but then again the app store is horrendous compared to Apple's

Again, depends on your specific specs.

I got the 16 GB model. I've had my phone almost 2 months and have used 3.7 GB. I will continue to add some music, but I've only used 472 mb of music space so far and that is the most of anything on my phone. Remember you can always delete apps that you either get tired of or just simply don't want or need anymore. Then, if you purchased them, you can always reinstall if you want/need that particular app back. Also, if you take a bunch of pictures you can always transfer to your pc/laptob and delete the ones you dont' need or want on your phone.

To me, it wasn't worth the extra $100 that I think it was for the 32 GB model.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Hello,

My contract has recently ended, and I'm now on PayG, I use to be on O2 but the reception and internet speeds were awful, I'm now on Three.

I've been looking into getting the iPhone 5, and have watched many reviews and have asked a few people on their thoughts on the phone. The reviews all seem positive about the phone, and it looks a very nice phone.

My current phone is the HTC HD7, and although its been a good phone I think it's one of the worst phone decisions I've made, the app market on WP7 is terrible, there are not many goods apps for WP7, and most are quite expensive.

The iPhone 5 is now a viable upgrade move, and by having my MBP I can sync it etc. I'm just wanting to know whether it is worth upgrading to the iPhone 5, or if there is another smart phone out there that would beat it?

I'm going to continue looking at reviews, but I would like current iPhone 5 users feedback and what they think.

Much appreciated, thanks :) :apple:

From the looks of it it seems you must be from Europe or Canada because your mention O2. If that's the case then not really..

I say this because LTE to my knowledge isn't fully established which is one the best features of the iPhone 5.

I think overall the phones is worth the upgrade but in your case I would maybe suggest getting a 4S since 4G will not be used

F

Frozo.

Again, depends on your specific specs.

I got the 16 GB model. I've had my phone almost 2 months and have used 3.7 GB. I will continue to add some music, but I've only used 472 mb of music space so far and that is the most of anything on my phone. Remember you can always delete apps that you either get tired of or just simply don't want or need anymore. Then, if you purchased them, you can always reinstall if you want/need that particular app back. Also, if you take a bunch of pictures you can always transfer to your pc/laptob and delete the ones you dont' need or want on your phone.

To me, it wasn't worth the extra $100 that I think it was for the 32 GB model.

Yeah, I think 16GB will be sufficient with my needs, and now with iCloud expanding more and more, there is more capacity to do things. And with easy syncing to my Mac makes picture uploading etc more easier, and as you've stated I can just delete things if I don't use them.

Plus the 16GB version is a lot cheaper :)

From the looks of it it seems you must be from Europe or Canada because your mention O2. If that's the case then not really..

I say this because LTE to my knowledge isn't fully established which is one the best features of the iPhone 5.

I think overall the phones is worth the upgrade but in your case I would maybe suggest getting a 4S since 4G will not be used

From the UK :)

We have 4G here now, but it's only been implemented in major cities around the country so it's not a viable option as I don't live in one of the 4G located cities, the reason why I want the 5 over say the 4S is because of the screen size and the general performance increase, I know the 5 is a lot more money, but it's worth it I think for the long run and the option for upgrading to 4G in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.