Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Bringing the production back to the U.S. "isn't so much about the price"? B.S. Does Apple have enough money to afford to make everything here? Yep. But it would destroy their huge margins. Until they can find a way for production in the U.S. not to destroy their margins, I don't think we'll see U.S. production on a large scale.

Maybe a new Mac Pro will be made in the U.S. next year? Apple could easily tack on a few hundred dollars to the cost and say it's because of a huge "spec bump" (which would be inevitable based on how dated the Mac Pro hardware currently is); and the people who have been waiting for new Mac Pros would be so overjoyed to have new hardware that they'd buy it regardless of the price increase.

A new Mac Pro being made in the U.S. makes sense because that's the one product in the line that isn't obsessed with being thinner and lighter so it won't rely on the Chinese manufacturing technology that makes "thinner and lighter" possible on a large scale.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
"the educational system is not producing the expertise needed for major manufacturing in consumer electronics"
That is horses**t, and I can't even believe he said that. But I need to think about WHY he said that. There is always a reason behind every word out of the mouth's of the powerful. Always.
And don't expect any follow-up questions from our "esteemed" fourth estate.

Take it from a University Professor and a parent who has children in school, the educational system in America is terrible.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Some federal agencies require hardware to be manufactured in the US for security reasons (I don't know which specifically).

Cisco has a manufacturing (well, assembly) facility in the US just for this purpose; I think it is in Texas.

Please...More like prejudice...

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
FANTASTIC NEWS!! Kudos to you, Tim. This will cause a ripple effect in the tech industry.

NanoTubeReturns

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2011
People don't realize how much stuff is still made in America because the media push the concept that there is nothing left as hard as they can.

I know.
However, by pushing this agenda the press is creating awareness to two things:
1. There IS a problem of jobs going over seas to china and such.
2. Companies that do produce in the US may get more exposure and more favorable press coverage + more sales. Just look at most of the reactions here and look at Tim Cook making a point in this interview. It means that "Made in the USA" is becoming important.

As always, the media are annoying and depressing but somehow it works for the best.

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
What is wrong with these people. Stop being so racist and get rid of all this stupid prejudice.

While i don't agree with the "screw China" rhetoric, it's about damn time a tech giant is willing to start bringing manufacturing back to America. That means more jobs for Americans, and more money in the US economy.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Apple's love of flash memory could drive a new type of pro machine; more power supply and cooling for dual Xeon's and memory, plus a PCIe stack. TB and internal SSD slots replace harddrive trays.

Smaller,cooler, quieter and more expensive will be the end result.

In the world of matrix. I'm actually very pessimistic in regards to the direction Apple will go with MP.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I wonder how much of this is to have tighter control on supply chain leaks (i.e. There weren't any pics of the new iMac prior to reveal).

I'd imagine it'll be mostly assembly; so while it might help with leaks of the final device aesthetics, it's not going to help much of all the components are still manufactured elsewhere.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
It will be the Mac Pro. Making it here will make it even more expensive. And Apple still probably won't give it much of an update.
Then when sales drop to nothing due to the higher cost and lack of update Apple will kill off the Mac Pro.
Apple will say that low Mac Pro sales is proof that no one wants a computer that offers internal expansion.
Apple will turn into just a consumer gadget company.
It's possible.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
So many people complain about these assembly line jobs being shipped to China that people sometimes forget the iOS and OS X, the design of the devices, the marketing of the devices, and many of the chip designs inside of the devices where all done in the USA (for the most part).

These are high paid, high skill jobs that makes the USA still the land of money and opportunity. You want to move to China because they have jobs? Go ahead. But the jobs are crap, the pay sucks, and the government doesn't protect you and your interests.

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
This line will be the one to avoid due to the quality control issues that are inevitable.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Well Apple, if you love education as much as you say you do, why not put some of that huge pile of money you have back into the education system? :rolleyes:

I'm sure they do donate to local colleges, but that isn't what bugs me. The education system isn't producing manufacturing expertise because those jobs haven't been available for thirty years. All these companies outsourced and then when they want to insource, they complain that no ones knows the process. Well, duh! Why not start vocational training programs for tech manufacturing, then?

Apple can build the talent they want...

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Welcome back "Made In The USA"!!! :D :cool:
Fantastic news Apple! Let's hope they set a trend for other manufacturers to do the same.

All Apple's products should be branded 'Made In The USA', after all, the world wants US made Apple products. :D

To ihuman: D - how on earth could you possibly extract a 'racist' comment out of dojoman's comment? Sheesh! They're talking about 'manufacturing'. Sounds to me like you're the racist, prejudiced one here. Only a racist person would make an assumption like that. :mad:

I support Apple's decision and I support American's having jobs. And hey, I'm Australian! ;) :apple: :)

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
There..

...is enough people in America for them to make everything in America.

Glad they are doing something though. Hard to knock them for producing products outside of the US when it made them the biggest corporation in the world.

monkeybongo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
Yeah, it seems like the Mac Pro would be the best model to produce in the US:

1) it's the slowest mover in terms of production so it wouldn't take long to ramp up to produce the numbers required.
2) It seems like the most like a normal PC and perhaps the easiest to assemble.
3) It's the most expensive and geared for professionals and servers, so the premium to produce in the US can be folded into the price.
4) Great for PR and perhaps some tax credits ... I think it's quite expensive to constantly defend against journalists and non-profit organization who constantly rail against Apple, this would essentially shut them up by saying we do produce computers in the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.